60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

WIRING 4 DVC TO A 2 CHANNEL AMP

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

WIRING 4 DVC TO A 2 CHANNEL AMP

This question is answered

I have 4 dvc subs.

i looked at the crutch wiring diagrams and it said to wire them at 4 ohm each channel.

But could i wire them at 1 ohm each channel??

so the amp will send out more power to them??

98 Ford Explorer all black. 5% tint, 10000k HID lights, 22" blades, panasonic cq-7103u stereo, DB Drive 80.4 amp, two infinity reference 6by9, kenwood 6by9, horn speaker, Memphis MCD-1500, 2 15inch Diamond Audio D6's. PURPLE IN THE STYROFOAM ALL DAY

Verified Answer
  • You have two ways you could wire your subs to that amp and it'd give the same amount of power to your subs.

One, you can wire all off your subs together to present a 2 ohm load like the second illustration shows here.

Or, you can wire two of the subs together on separate channels so both sets of subs present a 1 ohm load to each channel on the amp as shown in the first illustration here.

I'm not 100% sure which way would be less stressful on the amp, but I'm going to assume it'd be the 2 ohm overall load to the bridged channel. Not only is it a higher load so in theory the amp wouldn't work quite as hard (although that is the lowest load the amp can handle in mono mode, just like 1 ohm is the lowest load it can handle 2-channel mode), but at a higher overall load the amp has more control over the sub, so SQ improves (in theory).

In the end, you'd only be feeding 66% the subs RMS power to each sub, but the amp may very well be over rated so it'd be less. OTOH, those subs may not like to handle their full 600RMS anyways, so merely getting half their rated power may be a good thing. For maximum output and efficiency with your limited power you'll want to go with a ported enclosure, but for the best sound quality (sonic accuracy) you'll want to go with a sealed enclosure. That amp has a subsonic filter so it'd work with either application.

Don't forget to properly set the gain so you don't over work the amp and send a clipped signal to your subs. Here is how you'd set it using a DMM. According to my calculations you'd set the output of the amp to match 56.56V.

[edited by: Weigel21 at 10:22 AM (GMT -5) on Sat, Feb 27 2010]
  • You certainly want all 4 subs to have an identical signal.  Bridge them at 2 ohms.  No other way will give a better result. 

If you are setting your gain using a DMM (which i don't prefer but nothing really wrong with it), it would be preferable to use a 60hz test tone.  A sine wave at 60hz would be the most similar signal to house current, which the AC setting of a DMM is designed to measure. 

All Replies
  • So you have four DVC subs or is it 4 ohm DVC subs?

Either way, unless your 2-channel amp is rated as 1 ohm stable is stereo mode it's not wise to wire them to present a 1 ohm load.

What model subs (and how many) and model amp do you have?

• sorry about that but heres the clearification

i have four hifonics brutuses 12 inch all four of them are DVC 4ohm each rated at 600rms

the amp is this: http://www.maaudio.com/product.jhtm?id=97&cid=12

<Mod Edit: Linked to Manufacturer's site. Please link to Crutchfield's Item Page or manufacturer's website. Thanks.>

i was thinking i could wire two of the subs to 1 ohm so each channel would be at 1 ohm. But the wiring diagram on the website did not wire them to 1 ohm so im not sure if you can

[edited by: J Ro at 1:34 AM (GMT -5) on Sun, Feb 28 2010] original link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200442747320&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

98 Ford Explorer all black. 5% tint, 10000k HID lights, 22" blades, panasonic cq-7103u stereo, DB Drive 80.4 amp, two infinity reference 6by9, kenwood 6by9, horn speaker, Memphis MCD-1500, 2 15inch Diamond Audio D6's. PURPLE IN THE STYROFOAM ALL DAY

• You have two ways you could wire your subs to that amp and it'd give the same amount of power to your subs.

One, you can wire all off your subs together to present a 2 ohm load like the second illustration shows here.

Or, you can wire two of the subs together on separate channels so both sets of subs present a 1 ohm load to each channel on the amp as shown in the first illustration here.

I'm not 100% sure which way would be less stressful on the amp, but I'm going to assume it'd be the 2 ohm overall load to the bridged channel. Not only is it a higher load so in theory the amp wouldn't work quite as hard (although that is the lowest load the amp can handle in mono mode, just like 1 ohm is the lowest load it can handle 2-channel mode), but at a higher overall load the amp has more control over the sub, so SQ improves (in theory).

In the end, you'd only be feeding 66% the subs RMS power to each sub, but the amp may very well be over rated so it'd be less. OTOH, those subs may not like to handle their full 600RMS anyways, so merely getting half their rated power may be a good thing. For maximum output and efficiency with your limited power you'll want to go with a ported enclosure, but for the best sound quality (sonic accuracy) you'll want to go with a sealed enclosure. That amp has a subsonic filter so it'd work with either application.

Don't forget to properly set the gain so you don't over work the amp and send a clipped signal to your subs. Here is how you'd set it using a DMM. According to my calculations you'd set the output of the amp to match 56.56V.

[edited by: Weigel21 at 10:22 AM (GMT -5) on Sat, Feb 27 2010]
  • so on the amp i showed you.

it would be better to run the 4 subs bridged into 1 channel and it would 1600 rms to the subs so each sub would get 400 rms?

or would it be better to run 2 subs on 1 channel at 800rms at 1 ohm, either way it would still be 400 rms to each speaker

• I'm not too sure which way would be "better" as it's the ;lowest load the amp can see either way you wire it. If you want a stereo output (two subs play the sound that should come from the right channels, and two subs play the sounds that should play from the left channels) then wire it in stereo for a 1 ohm load to each side. If you don't much care if all the subs play both the sounds that are played out of the left channels only and the right channel only, then wire them all together for a 2 ohm final load in bridged mode. At 2 ohms the amp should have more sonic clarity than if you wire the subs to each channel at 1 ohm, but the difference may not even be audible to the average human ear. I've played subs at a 4 ohm load and at a 2 ohm load, truthfully I didn't notice a difference is SQ.

• You certainly want all 4 subs to have an identical signal.  Bridge them at 2 ohms.  No other way will give a better result. 

If you are setting your gain using a DMM (which i don't prefer but nothing really wrong with it), it would be preferable to use a 60hz test tone.  A sine wave at 60hz would be the most similar signal to house current, which the AC setting of a DMM is designed to measure. 

• i like setting my gain by hear :)

and its for some 6by9s anyway