Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Suggestions on 4 10" subs or 2 12" subs @1000 watts total

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Suggestions on 4 10" subs or 2 12" subs @1000 watts total

• i need some help deciding wether to do 4 10in subs doing 250 watts each or 2 12 in subs at 500 watts each

any thoughts would be great

thank you

[edited by: J P at 2:28 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Aug 21 2010] Changed to discussion.
  • Huge generalization, b/c box size and type (sealed or ported) along with sub parameters play into it as well, but generally:

Four tens should be louder (more surface area).

Two twelves should hit deeper (lower notes).

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• yea see right now i have my 2 10's and ive been thinking about competitions lately, but i really want to be able to keep sound quality. so when i went to talk to my guy he didnt mention sealed or ported but he did say make a custom box. im asuming sealed either way for quality  reasons. i figured 2 12's would hit lower. now when people say they hit lower, does that mean there is still bass notes that im not hearing with my 2 subs? i cant really decide which way i want to go.

• I've never really known of competitions and SQ going together, but it's not really my scene either.

kris03
    im asuming sealed either way for quality  reasons.

Not necessarily - hopefully J Ro will chime in here.  Sealed has less variables, so a pre-built sealed box will tend to have better SQ.  If you are custom building the box, you can get more SPL out of ported and still have excellent SQ - depending on what you are after.  (Ported tends to produce sound mostly around the tuning frequency of the port, but that might be what you want).

kris03
    now when people say they hit lower, does that mean there is still bass notes that im not hearing with my 2 subs?

I think it would have been more accurate to say they play more cleanly lower.  My OEM 6x8's will PLAY down to 30-40 Hz or so, but they sound awful on it - if that helps you understand it better.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Well basically i want it to sound really clean andcrisp but when i go to a competition, i want to be able to blow people's socks off with some really good bass.  what if i did the 2 10's with 1 13" for the real low notes?

• kris03
    i cant really decide which way i want to go.

4 10's will be louder than 2 12's.  A single 10 is good enough for sound quality purposes, so i'm guessing you'd like to increase the output.  Are you satisfied with the way things sound now?  What are you looking to improve? I don't usually see a SQ system with more than 2 subs.

kris03
    i figured 2 12's would hit lower. now when people say they hit lower, does that mean there is still bass notes that im not hearing with my 2 subs?

If you're using a sealed box, you should have all the notes covered with a pair of 10's.  Switching to a ported enclosure will give you the output of 4 sealed 10's around the tuning frequency.  The downside is you will have a sharp reduction in output below the tuning frequency.  It's helpful to have an idea of what your current frequency response is, and if it's weak at 80hz or 30hz the box can be built to strengthen whatever it is you're lacking.  It's hard to say if switching to 12's will make improvements or not.  A 12 is naturally going to increase the deepest notes but it won't handle higher frequencies as well as a 10.

• Im pretty happy with how things are right now. Your right, i just want to increase output at this point. I dont want to enter my first competition and be blown away and become last place and embarrased. i want something that people will think is cool.  I just have a hard time seeing that subs at 250 watts each can compare to 12's at 500 watts each. and ever since i heard that these subs that im looking at can produce these low sounds that you cant hear but you can feel, i just been stuck on it.  basically im headed towards the 12's but i think whats stopping me is what i have for amps, what my guy told me i should do, and the price and trouble to get rid of the subs i got now and replace them with larger more expensive 12's and the fact that when i talked to another different person about compe. he said i shouldnt even try to enter them with the subs i got, that i need to upgrade to something bigger and the next level up like Alpines Type R or Type X or JL's W6's which is the 12's that im refering to.

[edited by: kris03 at 8:50 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Aug 9 2010]
  • In competitions you're put in power classes. You wouldn't be up against the big boys with 10,000RMS systems.  With your current amp(s) you'd likely be in the lowest power level class and likely not be up against people with more than 500-600RMS system. If everyone that went to competitions competed against each other no matter what they had then I'm sure it wouldn't be as appealing to get into. I knew a guy that had four 10" Eclipse subs at 2,000RMS (500RMS each) and he came in first a few times and second or third on a couple occasions. He then upgraded to three 1,000RMS 15" subs and was placed higher in the power class for whom he went up against. I don't recall the subs he had at that point or how well he did, we kind of lost touch around that point.

• yea i was thinking i would be in the lower class.  let me ask you guys this. i have one 750 watt amp and one 500 watt amp. i was going to use two 500's but i sold one. so would it be totaly weird to use the two 10's i have, run them off of the 500 watt amp and then throw two 13.5" subs and run those off the 750 watt amp. that way i would hit the lows like you were tlaking about and i would have tight-ness and accuracy of a ten inch. best of both worlds. would that be totally unorthodox tho?

• Similar to this.

It's not totally unorthodox, but it is complicated b/c you need to bandpass the 10's - essentially you LPF the 13.5's, but you want to HPF the 10's above the 13.5's cutoff but below your main speakers.

Hope This Helps!!!

• I ddint even think of that. why is that?  will it sound i dont want to say weird but its slipping my mind the right words.

the 750 watt amp has a 30hz cut subsonic filter and variable high and low pass filters

the 500 watt amp has a variable subsonic and variable high and low pass filters.

what filters do you suggest i use and at what frequency?

• The 500 watt amp likely does not have variable high and low pass filters that you can BOTH use at the same time, though.

Hard to explain but essentially if you have two speakers both trying to play the 75 Hz tones with different Theil-Small parameters (when in doubt, baffle them with ... ) they tend to muddy the sound and cancel each other out and yeah, it sounds bad.

You would have to figure out what frequencies to use and that is one of the challenges of setting up that kind of system, but it can work well if you are willing to put the time into it.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

• Yea the 500 watt amp has a variable subsonic filter that i can use and then i can use the variable low pass filter. 

Im willing to take the time, but explain to me more about the frequencies canceling each other out. wouldnt that be the same case for if i had 4 of the same size subs?

• ok so it looks like i cant get the 13's but i can get 2 additional 10's. let me ask you this now, given my amps would it be hard to blend 4 tens with different sized amps. 1 pair with 750w and 1 pair with 500 watts.

the problem im having is once i get 4 tens im afraid that after i spent the money to upgrade ill feel like there is always going to be better bass that im missing out on like bigger sized subs.

• Is getting one 15" out of the question? It can hit lows very easily, easier to wire, it could take up less room, etc

[edited by: Superfly at 11:22 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Aug 10 2010]