Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Wiring two 4 ohm subs down to a 1 ohm load

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Wiring two 4 ohm subs down to a 1 ohm load

This question is answered

Is that possible? If so can anyone tell me how to do it?

Verified Answer
  • If they are the dual 4 ohm version, you will have a 1 ohm load by wiring all 4 voice coils in parallel. 

• If you have the Alpine SWR-1043D then you have the dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofer and will be able to get the 1 ohm load. If you have the Alpine SWR-1023D subwoofer, then you can only get down to a 2 ohm load and will want to find a different amp. If you have the Alpine SWR-T10, then you will only be able to get to a 2 ohm load and will want a different amp.

If you need to get a different amp, then the Bazooka MGA11500H amp will work. It does have more power than you need, but then you can turn the gain down to get it to sound right.

HTH!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

All Replies
  • If you have two 4 ohm loads in series it gives you an 8 ohm load. Two 4 ohm loads in parallel gives you a 2 ohm load.

There is really no upside to lowering impedance for the sake of it, and it can cause problems. Wire them in parallel and enjoy the music.

RESIma

• The only reason i ask this is the amp i was thinking about to buying has 1200W rms @ 1 ohm. I have to alpine type r 10' subs which have 600W rms a piece. It only has 900W rms @ 2 ohms though. Would I have to find a different amp?

• anyone?

• If they are the dual 4 ohm version, you will have a 1 ohm load by wiring all 4 voice coils in parallel. 

• If you have the Alpine SWR-1043D then you have the dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofer and will be able to get the 1 ohm load. If you have the Alpine SWR-1023D subwoofer, then you can only get down to a 2 ohm load and will want to find a different amp. If you have the Alpine SWR-T10, then you will only be able to get to a 2 ohm load and will want a different amp.

If you need to get a different amp, then the Bazooka MGA11500H amp will work. It does have more power than you need, but then you can turn the gain down to get it to sound right.

HTH!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

•  

Starce
    The only reason i ask this is the amp i was thinking about to buying has 1200W rms @ 1 ohm. I have to alpine type r 10' subs which have 600W rms a piece. It only has 900W rms @ 2 ohms though. Would I have to find a different amp?

Assuming the amp specs are accurate ....

I'm assuming you have the DVC-4-ohms subs and can wire them for 1-ohm and that amp will be about ideal for them:

Two 4 ohm DVC Speakers = 1 ohm load

If you have DVC-2-ohm subs, you can only wire them for 2-ohms (practically - 0.5-ohm or 8-ohms would be possible), and the amp will provide 900W to them, which is 75% of RMS and also acceptable:

Two 2 ohm DVC Speakers = 2 ohm load

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs