Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

JL 12" W3v3-4 with an Alpine MRP-M500 1 channel amp?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

JL 12" W3v3-4 with an Alpine MRP-M500 1 channel amp?

This question is answered

I am looking to put together my first setup and I was planning on getting the JL 12" W3v3-4 sub, but I was wondering if it would work with that amp? I don't really understand how ohms and impedance work or if they don't matter depending on how you wire your setup. The sub itself is 4 ohms. should i go with this system or would a 2 ohm sub be better. Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • It will work, and it matters.

The 12W3v3 is a Single-Voice-Coil (SVC) sub and handles 500W.

Your MRP-M500 is 500W RMS at 2-ohms, so you would be better with the 12W3v3-2 sub.

Your amp is only 300W RMS at 4-ohms, so it would work with the 12W3v3-4, but it wouldn't be giving the sub the ideal amount of power.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hi there,

I posted almost the same thread recently and got lots of very helpful answers.

I currently have the 10W3v3-4, thinking by accident it was the 10w3v3-2 when I bought it.  It sounds great, but getting the 2 ohm version would have made more sense.

Incidentally, the Alpine M500 was my first choice but I found a better deal on a similar spec MTX amp.  That Alpine would be the perfect match for the 12W3v3-2 or a pair of 4 ohm subs.

Cheers,

Andy

• Guv
    or a pair of 4 ohm subs.

A pair of SVC-4-ohm 250W subs ...

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli

It will work, and it matters.

Your MRP-M500 is 500W RMS at 2-ohms, so you would be better with the 12W3v3-2 sub.

Your amp is only 300W RMS at 4-ohms, so it would work with the 12W3v3-4, but it wouldn't be giving the sub the ideal amount of power.

Hope This Helps!!!

Thanks, that's very helpful!

All Replies
  • It will work, and it matters.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Hi there,

I posted almost the same thread recently and got lots of very helpful answers.

I currently have the 10W3v3-4, thinking by accident it was the 10w3v3-2 when I bought it.  It sounds great, but getting the 2 ohm version would have made more sense.

Incidentally, the Alpine M500 was my first choice but I found a better deal on a similar spec MTX amp.  That Alpine would be the perfect match for the 12W3v3-2 or a pair of 4 ohm subs.

Cheers,

Andy

• Guv
    or a pair of 4 ohm subs.

A pair of SVC-4-ohm 250W subs ...

Hope This Helps!!!

• TigerHeli

It will work, and it matters.

Hope This Helps!!!

Thanks, that's very helpful!