Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

How to wire 2 subs in sealed boxes to mono amp.

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

How to wire 2 subs in sealed boxes to mono amp.

This question is answered

New to the forum and just doing some research before I dive into this head first...I apologize if this has been answered many times already. I have searched and prob just confused myself. So i have purchased a vehicle specific box for a pair of tens for a reg cab truck. http://www.topedgeonline.com/GM_Regular_Cab_Subwoofer_Box_p/9906gmrc210df.htm Each box is sealed with no access to the other. I would like to purchase a mono amp but I am unsure how to wire the subs to the amp. I'm looking into 2 alpine type r 10's rated at 300-600 rms http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-1023d/ with an amp to power them at 300 rms each min. One possibility is the Alpine pdx-m6 http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-m6/  Any help is appreciated, thanks all.

-JC

Verified Answer
  • Diagram is fine for the overall sub wiring, but does not show the box terminal connections - which is what is confusing the OP.

If you go with DVC-2-ohm subs you wire each sub to the box like this (per chamber):

One 2 ohm DVC Speaker = 4 ohm load

Now looking at the rear of the box - each box terminal is essentially an SVC-4-ohm sub, so wire the box terminals to the amp like this:

Two 4 ohm SVC Speakers = 2 ohm load

The most elegant way to do that is one cable from the amp to the left box terminal and then a second cable from the left box terminal to the right box terminal.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Those would need to be wired like this diagram for a 2 ohm load. 2 single voice coil 4 ohm subs would also be wired for a 2 ohm load, and might not require as much power, i.e., less expensive amp.

Those type R 2 ohm DVC subs need a 1200 watts rms @ 2 ohm amp. Each sub needs internal box volume of .5 - 1 cu. ft.

The Alpine PDX-M6 will work, but will only be giving those subs the minimum power they need.

You might choose 1 of these for at least 1000 watts RMS, or 500 each. -

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=347250&cc=01&compareItems=01|500MRP1000&compareItems=01|500MRXM100&compareItems=01|575R10001D&compareItems=01|136JX10001&compareItems=01|236RT1000D&compareItems=01|206IX1000&compareItems=01|105AR9501D&compareItems=01|57510001CP&compareItems=01|500PDXM12

What is the internal volume of the box ?

These are all 4 ohm and should work well in a sealed box.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=520&cc=01&compareItems=01|500SWE1043&compareItems=01|130TSW253R&compareItems=01|1081060W&compareItems=01|575P1S410&compareItems=01|107DB1040&compareItems=01|107DXI104S&compareItems=01|091RIPS250&compareItems=01|13610W0V24&compareItems=01|13610WX4&compareItems=01|130W259S4&compareItems=01|065G1104&compareItems=01|113W2512&compareItems=01|13610W1V24&compareItems=01|236T5510S4&compareItems=01|1081009W&compareItems=01|236RTS1004&compareItems=01|107MM1040&compareItems=01|13610W3V32&compareItems=01|13610W3V34&compareItems=01|065G3104&compareItems=01|130TSW252P&compareItems=01|13610W73

GLH Geeked

• Hey JC,

That sub is a 2+2 configuration,  meaning you can wire it to present a 1 or 4ohm load.  I would wire each sub in series to present a 4 ohm load each, then in parallel to the amplifier which will present a 2 ohm load.  The subs can handle 600RMS each, so I would suggest a larger amp than the PDX-M6 to push them effectively. Maybe something with 1000rms @ 2 ohms? It's a lot easier to under-power a system than it is to kill it with too much power.

To wire the subs in series, when looking at the picture on the Alpine website, you would attach the two outside terminals to the wires feeding from the box, then use the included jumper to go between the middle two (the negative of the first voice coil to the positive of the second voice coil).  To wire each sub in parallel at the amp simply run both positives and both negatives to the corresponding outputs on the amplifier.

Hope that helps,

Sam 

• GLH

What is the internal volume of the box ?

1 cu. ft. each chamber.

• Well I guess I was interested in the pdx-m6 for the optional bass knob as I listen to a variety of music. As far as the wiring diagram, I looked at that diagram before and was just wondering how I would accomplish that with 2 sealed chambers.

• Let's back up a bit -

The subs you selected are DVC-2-ohm subs - you could wire them for 2-ohms, 0.5-ohms, or 8-ohms at the amp, but 2-ohms are the most practical.  Good amps would be something like the Kicker ZX750.1 or Alpine MRP-M1000 (or PDX-M12).  SVC-4-ohm subs would work the same way.

Alpine also makes an SVC-4-ohm version of that sub which could be wired at either 4-ohms or 1-ohm (1-ohm preferred).  Good amps for that would be the Hifonics BRX-1200.1d, Sundown SAZ-1200D, Cadence TXA-1000D or similar amp RATED for 1000W RMS at 1-ohm.

Many other amps include a bass knob or you could get a universal one like the Metra AALC or similar product from PAC.

Once you have the amp and subs picked out, we can explain the box connections, but hopefully the box has two sets of speaker terminals, or you would likely have to add a pair.  Essentially, you are going to wire each sub internally in the box to twice the impedance you want at the amp.  Then you are going to connect all the Pos and Neg terminals separately together at the box and amp - that is parallel wiring and halves the impedance of each sub.

Like I said, pick the subs and amp you want to go with and we can walk you through the wiring.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I'm lost on why the box needs 2 seperate speaker wire connections. Should be only a + and a - wire connecting the amp and the box. 2 ohm load.

GLH Geeked

• Pretty common for a divided box with separate chambers to have two sets of speaker terminals - one per chamber.  (Not uncommon even for a ported box).  (Basically they don't want you having to drill through the center divider, pass wire to the other chamber, and then try to seal around the wire openings (two places for that box)).

The ohm load is 2-ohms at the amp for DVC-2-ohm speakers, but we can get to that later.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Each chamber has a + and - terminal. Based on the wiring diagram at the top of the post I'm looking for the easiest way to wire 2 dvc type r's(any ohm) for about 500 watts rms to each sub with an amp that has a baas knob. looking at the diagram above I just don't understand how to wire the positive from one sub to the other positive on the other sub being that the chambers are sealed from each other as well as wire the neg together from one sub to the other unless I'm supposed to accomplish this using the external speaker terminals on the box.

[edited by: jcammarata at 8:37 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, Mar 2 2011]
  • Yes, Tiger. Just like the diagram I posted above.

GLH Geeked

• Diagram is fine for the overall sub wiring, but does not show the box terminal connections - which is what is confusing the OP.

If you go with DVC-2-ohm subs you wire each sub to the box like this (per chamber):

One 2 ohm DVC Speaker = 4 ohm load

Now looking at the rear of the box - each box terminal is essentially an SVC-4-ohm sub, so wire the box terminals to the amp like this:

Two 4 ohm SVC Speakers = 2 ohm load

The most elegant way to do that is one cable from the amp to the left box terminal and then a second cable from the left box terminal to the right box terminal.

•  

If you go with DVC-4-ohm subs and a mono 1-ohm amp, you wire the subs to the box (each chamber) like this:

One 4 ohm DVC Speaker = 2 ohm load

If you go with DVC-4-ohm subs and a mono amp at 4-ohms (like a PDX-M12), the sub to box wiring (each chamber) looks like this:

One 4 ohm DVC Speaker = 8 ohm load

The sub to box wiring remains the same in all three cases.

Hope This Helps!!!

• jcammarata
    unless I'm supposed to accomplish this using the external speaker terminals on the box.

YES!!!

• Originally that is what I was thinking it just sounded too easy so I thought for sure I was wrong haha Thanks everybody with all the input, it was greatly appreciated. Now just to find a reasonably inexpensive amp to power 500 rms to each sub.

[edited by: jcammarata at 8:56 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, Mar 2 2011]
  • I assume you don't have the subs yet?

You're on the borderline, but it is less expensive to find a 1-ohm stable amp at 1000W and up than a 2-ohm one.  Recommend something like the Hifonics BRZ-1200.1D or the Cadence TXA-1000D and DVC-4-ohm subs.

Hope This Helps!!!