Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

How to wire four speakers and a sub to a 4 channel amp HELP!

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

How to wire four speakers and a sub to a 4 channel amp HELP!

This question is answered

I have a Sony CDX-MP40 HU with a Kenwood KAC-8401 4 channel (640 watt) amp pushing 4 Sony XS-V1633 6.5 xplod speakers.  It is very loud, but not enough bass.  I received a JL Audio 10w4-4 sub in a box that I would like to connect.  I'm not looking to blow the doors off, just add some  bass.   Can the sub be added to this setup?  If so, how???

Verified Answer
  • johcha
    KAC-8401 4 channel (640 watt) amp

It's only 360W - sorry.

It can.

Your best option is probably to run the front speakers off the front amp channels, bridge the rear amp channels to the sub, and run the rear speakers off the HU internal amp.

If you really wanted to, you could run the front and rear speakers on each side in parallel off one front channel of the amp and each speaker will see 45W, but you will lose fader control.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • johcha
    KAC-8401 4 channel (640 watt) amp

It's only 360W - sorry.

It can.

Your best option is probably to run the front speakers off the front amp channels, bridge the rear amp channels to the sub, and run the rear speakers off the HU internal amp.

If you really wanted to, you could run the front and rear speakers on each side in parallel off one front channel of the amp and each speaker will see 45W, but you will lose fader control.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I believe the second option you suggested would be better since fader control is not a big deal.  Now for a complete idiot about these things..... how do I set up the parallel wiring on the 4 speakers on 1 amp and the bidge of the sub on the other?  

• For parallel, wire the left front negative amp output to the negative of each speaker and the left front positive amp output to the positive of each speaker. Same on the right side with the right front amp output.

For the sub, run speaker wire from the rear left positive amp output and the rear right negative amp output.

Hope that's clear.

[edited by: GLH at 9:52 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, May 27 2011]

GLH Geeked