Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

No Power from Amp to subs

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

No Power from Amp to subs

This question is answered

I had two Rockford T1s and a 10 inch Alpine Type R installed in my truck. I wanted toadd another T1 and replace my old Hifonics Bxi1608 monoblock amp with a stronger Hifonics Hifi3000d amp. I had my system wired with a cheap $30 installation kit from walmart and the 6 guage power wire kept melting my fuses so i replaced it with a 4 gauge power wire and an ANL fuse holder. I installed everything this morning and wired everything exactly like I had before and the amp receives power but my subs arent getting any. I dont know what the problem is. I checked around on the net and people who had the same issue had blown speakers but the T1 i bought is new and i wired it to my old amp before and it worked just fine. I have no idea what could be wrong. My ground wire and RCAs are in good condition i doubt anything is wrong. Could my wiring be the cause? Could my subs really be blown :( 

Verified Answer
  • Old thread - but it could be a lot of things, but you really would need a meter to check.

You should be seeing AC voltage on the speaker wire outputs of the amp.

If you aren't, you should be seeing AC voltage on the RCA cables into the amp.

If you are, you should be seeing 12V DC or better on the remote and power wires to the amp.  If not, the small wiring COULD be causing an undervoltage to the amp, but I'm not ready to say that's likely to be the problem without measuring anything.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Haha turns out my old hifonics amplifier had RCA inputs then outputs and my new one had outputs then inputs which was the reason my subs had no sound haha. Thank you for your help though.

All Replies
  • Going a little light on the wiring don't you think? What load are you running the amp at? I mean it calls for 0GA wiring and a 250AMP inline fuse. Your old amp called for 4GA wiring. And to clarify, your cheap 6GA wire wasn't melting your fuses, the amp was drawing more current that the fuse was rated for, it's a good thing the fuse blew. If you used the same 6GA wire and a 250AMP fuse you'd end up having the wire get so hot it's catch your car on fire.

Is the amp going into protect?

[edited by: Weigel21 at 7:05 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, Nov 20 2011]
  • Well i didnt have much cash to buy the 0 guage wire. The only place that sells it has it for about 9 bucks a foot and i need at least 12 feet so i figured I'd use the 4 guage for now. I'm running my subs at 2 ohms. And the amp Is not going into protect it starts just fine. Im just not getting any sound at all from the subs. I wired the alpine i had to see if my subs were blown and i didnt get any response from it either. I dont know what the problem could be.

• Have you looked at the settings in your head ? Maybe they got changed somehow and the sub is set off ?

GLH Geeked

• I turned them off to begin with then after i had wired them and wanted to test them i turned them back on.

• Hmmm... Not sure what your head is but you might wanna try turning the power off to your head, disconnect the ground cable from your battery, reconnect it, turn the head back on. Some newer off brand models are funny like that.

GLH Geeked

• Its a Kenwood Excelon X-995. Could my wiring be the cause? I tried to use the diagrams posted on here. I've been reading around and some of the causes are bad ground wires or RCAs. Could they be the cause?

• Ever get the issue resolved? If so, what was the fix?

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• Old thread - but it could be a lot of things, but you really would need a meter to check.

You should be seeing AC voltage on the speaker wire outputs of the amp.

If you aren't, you should be seeing AC voltage on the RCA cables into the amp.

If you are, you should be seeing 12V DC or better on the remote and power wires to the amp.  If not, the small wiring COULD be causing an undervoltage to the amp, but I'm not ready to say that's likely to be the problem without measuring anything.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Haha turns out my old hifonics amplifier had RCA inputs then outputs and my new one had outputs then inputs which was the reason my subs had no sound haha. Thank you for your help though.