Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

What kind of amp should i get?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

What kind of amp should i get?

This question is answered

So, i am 17 just got my first car (Jeep Grand Cherokee 2001) i put in brand new alpine speakers and a new head. I just need one more thing to bring it all together...a sub woofer. I've been doing tons and tons of research and decided on the Kicker CompVR 07CVR124. I dont want to spend too much seeing as i dont have all that much to work with but i figured kicker is a reliable source for subs and i got a fairly middle of the road sub. But i have no idea where to start when it comes to looking for an amp, i know that can make or break a sub and i want just the right sub to perfect my audio setup. Please help and give me suggestions

Thankss

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • What kind of music do you listen to? Kicker Comp VR's really don't do well in ported boxes so I'd advise against that. Look at JL, RF, Diamond Audio, and Alpine. The Comp VR's tend to be "cheaply" made IMO. Not say there bad I just don't think there that good. Kicker's higher end stuff is pretty good but it gets more expensive and you said you want to keep it cheap. If you can give us a budget we can show you some different options that you may like.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• i listen to basically anything and everything. I was also looking at the alpine swd 1243d i think its called, that one is about 250 and thats all about all i want to spend on the sub, the amp also no more than 250 so total budget between 500 and 600 should be good. anything in that price range would be wonderful

• alright, you seem to know exactly what youre doing so let me rephrase that, 

for my budget (600 max) what is a really good sub woofer amp setup (excluding enclosure)

• Do you think you want a ported or sealed enclosure ? What music do you listen to MOST ? Are your main Alpine speakers also amped ? You can get a nice amp and sub for $600, but we need to know what type enclosure you will have.

GLH Geeked

• i think i was going to go with sealed, and no at this point i dont have an amp. But mostly rap-ish music i suppose

• "rap-ish" type music or pop or hip-hop type music is alot better with a ported enclosure.

I recommend this sub in a 2.0 cu.ft. ported enclosure, tuned to 40 hz.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1081262W/Infinity-1262w.html?tp=111#details-tab

Any of these amps will work. The amps without subsonic filter, you can add 40 hz highpass F-Mods.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|777M1350&compareItems=01|108R1300A&compareItems=01|777M1500&compareItems=01|500MRPM500&compareItems=01|500MRXM50&compareItems=01|109GTO501E&compareItems=01|136JX2501&compareItems=01|113X5001&compareItems=01|113KAC8105&compareItems=01|236RT250D&compareItems=01|236TD5001D&compareItems=01|130GMD750M&compareItems=01|575R5001&compareItems=01|575P3001P&g=347250

GLH Geeked

• wow, you just blew my mind, i truly know even less about this stuff than i thought, but ill be sure to check that stuff out. My car doesnt have infinity, does that matter at all ?

• I am kinda new at this but if im not mistaken a sealed box has a tighter punch where as a ported will have a more loose and flat sound.

And GLH how many cu. ft  would you recommed for a single

kicker l7 15" square sub

• I'd go with that Alpine you mentioned. For the amp any of these will do the job. For the box I too would recommend you go with a ported box. I'd look for a box tuned to 30 to 35 Hz. Some of those amps have a subsonic filter (Alpine M50, Sound Ordnance, and the MTX TD 500.1 have it, the rest don't). You will want to set the subsonic filter about 5 Hz below the tuning frequency of the box. You should get the best bang for your buck with that Alpine and any of those amps. Also to re-ask what GLH did, are your speakers amped? If not I would suggest amping those too. If you can tell us what they are we can give you some options to look at. You can get some pretty good 4 channel amps for $150 that will do the trick for the speakers just gotta know what you have. Then all you will need are some amp wiring kits. I recommend Tsunami but that's just cause I like them LOL. You could go with anything really just make sure the wires are pure (oxygen free) copper.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• The subsonic filter should be as close to the tuning freq as possible.

GLH Geeked

• flubba

how many cu. ft  would you recommed for a single

kicker l7 15" square sub

Kicker recommends -

Recommended Sealed Box Volume:

• Compact (minimum enclosure volume): 2.0 cubic feet
    • SQ (maximum enclosure volume): 6.0 cubic feet

Recommended Vented Box Volume:

• Compact: 3.0 cubic feet; 2.5" x 16.25" port opening; 19.5" port length
    • SQ: 6.0 cubic feet; 3.5" x 16.25" port opening; 13.75" port length

GLH Geeked

• spartahockey
    My car doesnt have infinity, does that matter at all ?

No.

GLH Geeked

• Flubba, generally what you ask is true. Sealed has tighter more punchy bass and isn't as loud as ported. Whereas ported is loud and boomy. But it all depends on the design of the box. If a ported box is designed right and built right it will sound better than a sealed any day of the week all across the board. If the box is designed poorly you will still get good sound but only on certain frequencies and that is when you run into flatter sound as you mentioned. You know the old saying, "Location, location, location"? Well when it comes to subs I like to say, "Box, box, box" LOL (just made that up but I like it).

• Opps for got to mention that the amps without a subsonic filter you will need one of those F-Mods GLH mentioned.

• GLH
    40 hz highpass F-Mods

Not sure you can actually get a 40 hz highpass F-Mod, but this S/O amp should be about right for that sub anyway, and you come in way under budget -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M1350/Sound-Ordnance-M-1350.html?tp=35834

You would just turn the subsonic filter all the way up to 40 hz, turn the bass boost all the way down, set the lowpass, set the input level (gain), Rock Out. Yes

GLH Geeked