Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Sound Ordnance B-8PT question

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Sound Ordnance B-8PT question

This question is answered

Has anybody had any problems with their Sound Ordnance B-8PT?  Reviews are all good but mine does not seem to work right.  I have it securely mounted under my seat, facing up with the speaker about 4 inches from  cushion.  The car vibrates but I do not get much bass sound.  I have tried all possible settings.  I did get a little more sound when I switched the RCA input wires.

I bought this speaker over a year ago for a show car I am building and am just getting to the stereo now so I do not know if it is still under warranty.  

Verified Answer
  • i haven't heard of any specific issues with this sub, other than the occasional claim that it kinda sucks. 

do you have enough room to use some spacers and make it down-firing?  sometimes that makes a world of difference. 

[edited by: J Ro at 9:25 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Sep 5 2012] added hyperlink
  • Thanks J Ro.  Reversing the sub would be a nightmare, because then all of the controls would be upside down and facing the wrong way.  I just finished cutting a piece of 3/4 pine and slid it between the seat tracks about 3 or 4 inches above the speaker.  I angled it so it is aiming the sound waves towards the front of the car, and it sounds great.  The rattling I was getting was apparently the result of the speaker aimed at the plastic bottom of the seat (it is a lightweight racing seat not good for reflecting sound waves).

Thanks again.  Now I want to try one of my old amps I have in the garage and use it instead of the head unit for the other 4 speakers.  I they are all Polk, but the front are just a 4 x 6 plate that I hope can handle the power (60 watts).  

All Replies
  • i haven't heard of any specific issues with this sub, other than the occasional claim that it kinda sucks. 

do you have enough room to use some spacers and make it down-firing?  sometimes that makes a world of difference. 

[edited by: J Ro at 9:25 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Sep 5 2012] added hyperlink
  • I know that I have to take it out and test it, but I did a really good job installing it so removing it will be a pain.  I have built sub enclosures before so am familiar with good and bad sound.  From the reviews I read, most people like it, though it is not a disco boom box.  But I think something may be wrong with mine.  

I don't think the problem is the direction it is facing, because there is plenty of room above it.  But I can try what you said.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Lee3333
    I don't think the problem is the direction it is facing, because there is plenty of room above it.

that's actually my point.  subs benefit the most on deep notes through "corner loading."  the seat is practically invisible to a sub.  the soft fabrics that automotive seats are made of have about as much influence on a low-frequency note as a man standing on a beach in an attempt to stop a wave from reaching shore.  facing it down provides some bounce.  ever see an actual ocean wave run into a corner?  it sort of explodes upwards, due to all the energy being compressed.  low-frequency sound waves work in a similar fashion. 

but it may just be you don't like the sub cuz it's not that great a sub.

• I am not looking for killer sound-just something decent.  My daily driver (HHR) has a good system.  But this is my race/show car, and most people don't even have radios in theirs.  I originally wanted just something simple, but it morphed into satellite radio (share receiver with other car) and a sub.

You make a great point about sound reflection.  I can try by putting a piece of wood under the seat to see if it helps, then doing it right and pulling the sub and reversing it.

Thanks again

• Lee3333
     I can try by putting a piece of wood under the seat to see if it helps

that's not a bad thing to try, but i wouldn't expect the same results as reversing the sub completely.  by the way, have you tried reversing the polarity?  an indication where that may help is if turning down the sub volume increases the bass (even if only slightly).  this would indicate the primary speakers and the sub are out-of-phase (primary speakers are fighting the sub, rather than working with it).  that would be easier than completely flipping it, since it's already installed.  if you have a 180 degree switch, or something labeled "Reverse" in your HU's sub controls, try doing that.

• Funny you say that.  I did try reversing the rca inputs and it helped a lot.  I have tried reversing the phase and it didnt make much of a difference.  But the system sounded better next to the seat than sitting on it, so I think you diagnosed it correctly.  I should have known better.  When I was younger, I played the drums.  And to muffle the sound, we put pillows inside the bass drum.  But I wan't thinking when I did the install.  Crutchfield actually says that you can slide the sub under your seat.  In retrospect, not the best place.

Can't wait to drive my son to school so I can play with my system!

• Thanks J Ro.  Reversing the sub would be a nightmare, because then all of the controls would be upside down and facing the wrong way.  I just finished cutting a piece of 3/4 pine and slid it between the seat tracks about 3 or 4 inches above the speaker.  I angled it so it is aiming the sound waves towards the front of the car, and it sounds great.  The rattling I was getting was apparently the result of the speaker aimed at the plastic bottom of the seat (it is a lightweight racing seat not good for reflecting sound waves).

Thanks again.  Now I want to try one of my old amps I have in the garage and use it instead of the head unit for the other 4 speakers.  I they are all Polk, but the front are just a 4 x 6 plate that I hope can handle the power (60 watts).  

• If your head has highpass settings or the amp does, those Polk 4x6 plates can do pretty good with rated power.

GLH Geeked

• Lee3333
    Funny you say that.  I did try reversing the rca inputs and it helped a lot.

that's actually quite odd.  switching the left and right should make absolutely no difference.  i wouldn't have ever had thought to suggest that, cuz it really doesn't make sense that it helped.  the two RCA's are merged to a mono signal, and then amplified.  you might actually have a problem with either your RCA's, the HU, the included amp on the B-8PT, or some combination of these. or maybe one RCA wasn't making good contact, and switching them made a fresh connection and fixed it?  very odd... 

if you're happy, great!  but i don't understand why reversing the RCA's would make any difference whatsoever.  switching the left and right RCA's does not reverse the phase.  the difference should have been invisible, unless that's not what you meant.

• I dont understand either, but it seemed to help a little.  I also removed the right angle plugs which could have been causing resistance.