Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2 amps + 2 subs wiring diagram

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2 amps + 2 subs wiring diagram

• I just sketched this (original image from crutchfield.com) and I was wondering if thats the best way to wire them?

I have 2 600W amps, and 2 DVC subs. The problem is that the amps are different brands so to avoid powering one sub more than the other, I was thinking about using this diagram that I sketched. It wont mess up the other amp by both going to the same subs?
  • You can not easily connect two amps to the same sub(s).

Connect one sub to each amp and adjust the gains on each of them so the volume is about the same from each one.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I have not seen a mess like this since playing those games in grade school; where you have to figure out which fisherman caught which fish!

Ohh Danny Boy, I highly recommend that you DO NOT make the connections shown in your modified wiring diagram!

It is never a good idea to connect the positive output from one amplifier to the positive output of another.  I am not even sure if the built in protection circuitry could protect you from destroying the amplifiers using this configuration.

While two amplifiers certianly CAN be used to drive a single sub.  I have to agree with Tiger that this is NOT recommended.

In the event you want to do it anyway... you will want to first connect all amplifier channels in series.  Typically you could connect channel 1 positive from amp #1 to channel 2 negative of amp #2.  For the speakers simply connect the DVC's in series (connect one of the positve terminals to one of the negative terminals).  Now all you have to do is run channel 1 postive from amp #2 to the open postive terminals on each speaker and channel 2 negative from amp #1 to the open negative terminal on each speaker.

The make-or-break trick to all of this is ensuring that each channel of each amp is set to the same output level.  If this is not the case you will know soon enough when one or both of the amps fry!

Best of luck!

- Cincimann
  • It's actually a bit more involved than either I or cincimann implied.  See this post by aaRDee.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs