Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Hooking Up To A Factory Stereo

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Hooking Up To A Factory Stereo

• I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix.  I just bought a 2500 watt Volfenhag sub and a 1200 watt Sony Xplod amp.  I have all the wires and everything I need.  After buying all this stuff I ran out of money for a deck.  A guy at Best Buy said that I could hook up the system to the factory deck in my car.  He showed me the adaptor that I would need - so I got that.  I don't plan on keeping it this way for a long time - but for now until I can find a good deck - this is what I have to work with.

My question is if anyone has ever done this before - and knows how to hook up all the wires and what not with the adaptor.  The guy at Best Buy said it was an Output Converter.

I have never done this before - and I don't plan on doing myself - but the person I want to do it has never done this either.

If anyone has any insight on this that would be great!

Thanks

• BabyGirl92:

My question is if anyone has ever done this before - and knows how to hook up all the wires and what not with the adaptor.  The guy at Best Buy said it was an Output Converter.

does it look something like this?  if so the directions should be on the packageing...but most of the time you are going to want to tie in to the rear speaker wire...this will allow you to mount this in the rear of the car vs haveing to have 12 foot patch cables...

instalation is pretty much strait forward just used butt connectors or solder  on all the conections...

does this help?  if not let me know and i can explain better.

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • If the amp has speaker level inputs as well as RCA's, then you don't need the adapter that Spruce is showing above.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• That does help.  I just want to know the generals of it so that I don't have to pay 80 some odd dollars to have it installed - when I know that it really isn't that hard.

Thanks

• Actually, it's more complicated to install the amp than installing the deck would be.  But the hardest part is running the power wire directly from the battery and snaking it behind panels to wherever the amp is going.  If you can handle that, it's not too bad ...

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I am not too worried about installing the amp itself - my boyfriend just did his car - it's just that adapter.

And I really don't want anything to go wrong on it since I have only had the car for under a month.

I have just heard a lot of different ways to hook up that adapter and a lot of different opinions and what not.  I just want to hear from someone who has done it themselves.  You know - get that perspective of it.

• Got it! 

BabyGirl92:
    I am not too worried about installing the amp itself - my boyfriend just did his car - it's just that adapter.
    And I really don't want anything to go wrong on it since I have only had the car for under a month.

IMHO, the amp power wiring is more difficult than the adapter/signal wiring, so if you can handle the power end you shouldn't have any problems. 

I have just heard a lot of different ways to hook up that adapter and a lot of different opinions and what not.  I just want to hear from someone who has done it themselves.  You know - get that perspective of it.

The adapter takes the signal from speaker level to RCA inputs.  RCA's are low-level signals and prone to noise, so if you can connect the amp using speaker-level inputs, I wouldn't use the adapter.

The other problem is that normally you would run the amp off the (non-fading) subwoofer outputs of the deck.  Since your factory stereo doesn't have those, you will be running them off the rear outputs, which means if you fade the deck from front to rear, you are now increasing the power that goes to the sub - that's the biggest drawback.  (And you can't make the sub louder or quieter from the HU).  In reality, you probably already have the balance adjusted pretty close to where you like it, so you will just set the gain on the amp to where the sub sounds right and everything should be good.

Hope This Helps!!!! 

• i will also have to do the same thing for my amp i am going to be useing a stock deck in my 1998 trans am for a cople months or more
  • I usually crimp on connectors so that I can take it out easily. I've seen some people that solder them, but then it is a pain to remove.
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Alpine CDA-9886 Head Unit Rockford Fosgate 550X amplifier Sundown Audio SAE-1000D Temp - Kicker Solo Baric L5 Temp - Kenwood Coaxials Soon - Fi Q 18, Hertz HSK 165, 120sq.ft. of Damplifier and Overkill
  • nphilanthro:
    I usually crimp on connectors so that I can take it out easily. I've seen some people that solder them, but then it is a pain to remove.

I used these Posi-Products on my last HU install - Simple and reuseable if you need to redo anything.  You are limited in the wire sizes they work with, though.  Soldering is likely the most secure connection if you can do it properly (avoid cold solder joints and burning yourself), but I never got the hang of it.  Either crimp connectors or solder removal usually involved cutting the wire before and after the connection.  Npilanthro - re-reading your post, I assume you are talking about quick-disconnect connections.  I have used those also, but the drawback is that you have two crimps per connection. 

• Yes, I was talking about the quick disconnect connections. They are relatively easy to crimp on, and do their job well.

Is there a drawback in having two crimps per connection, such as losing power or sound quality? 

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Alpine CDA-9886 Head Unit Rockford Fosgate 550X amplifier Sundown Audio SAE-1000D Temp - Kicker Solo Baric L5 Temp - Kenwood Coaxials Soon - Fi Q 18, Hertz HSK 165, 120sq.ft. of Damplifier and Overkill
  • nphilanthro:
    Yes, I was talking about the quick disconnect connections. They are relatively easy to crimp on, and do their job well.

Is there a drawback in having two crimps per connection, such as losing power or sound quality?

I don't know of a drawback, I've used them before, but I think the posi-products or the crimp caps where you twist the wires together and then crimp down on top of them tend to work better.  The only thing in theory is that you've got the crimp zone on each connector (which often you want to fold the wire end over to get a solid crimp) and then you've got the mating of the two connectors (which sometimes can be a bit loose), so in theory there's three potential problems instead of one, and it takes longer to do.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with them initially, but I think I have had problems with them cutting out intermittently after a year or so (or likely more). 

• Alright, thanks for the advice. On my mercedes, the head unit wires were connected with these weird things that had some sort of gel in them. They seemed to be crimped in well, but I think the conductive gel died, because as I moved the wires, random speakers would turn on or off, and sometimes even the HU power would cut out. I cut those off, and crimped on some normal ones, and now everything is fine.

I'm going to take a look at those posi ones, they sound pretty cool. Yes

• The conductive gel stuff that you are describing sounds like the crimp caps that are typically used for telephone lines (into the house).  I don't think I've seen them for sale commercially, and I've never known of them being used in car audio, but they should work (at least for a while) ...

Interesting. 

• I had never seen them before in a car either, but I have a Mercedes and they tend to do everything different than everyone else.