Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

More Watts = More Bass??

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

More Watts = More Bass??

• I have a Rockford Fosgate P500.2 Amp. It puts out 125 watts x 2 at 4 ohms, and 250 watts x 2 at 2 ohms. How does the number of watts effect the overall sound. Will running it at 2 ohms make it louder? Cleaner? The way I am looking at it is, If a song has X amount of bass, how will more watts make it louder? I can see how it might be more accurate.
  • Generally more watts means greater movement of the woofer cone and more volume.  But that is assuming you are supplying more watts to the same exact sub, which you can't do with a single amplifier.

A sub designed for 500W is probably louder with 500W than a 150W sub with 150W, but wouldn't have to be. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• dberg:
    The way I am looking at it is, If a song has X amount of bass, how will more watts make it louder?

Adding more power to your sub will not add more bass to a song, it will add more volume to your bass. Overall sound is determined by many things. Use your EQ to achieve the sound YOU desire, it's all personal taste. To get the most power from your amp, you want to bridge your 2 channels into 1. You will then be running 500 wattsx1.

1999 Dodge RamVan Sony CDX-GT705DX JBL GTO755.6 4 JBL GTO937 1 JBL GTO1504D 1.2 fared Tsunami capacitor
  • well i want it to drive two subs, and i would like to buy Rockford Fosgate, P1's would be perfect for running the amp at 4 ohms, 125 watts x 2, but if i will get more volume from P2's which i could run at 2 ohms, 250 watts x 2, I will get the P2's im just not sure that there will be a great enough difference, to spend $200 more on.
  • Just something from an engineering standpoint.  Yes, more watts does generally equal more bass.  However, for reference....you have to double your power input for a 3db increase.  Sometimes increasing bass a little costs a lot.  I am pretty sure that is the way it goes. 

[edited by: Drumage4u at 5:28 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, Feb 08 2008]
  • Drumage4u:
    Just something from an engineering standpoint.  Yes, more watts does generally equal more bass.  However, for reference....you have to double your power input for a 3db increase.  Sometimes increasing bass a little costs a lot.  I am pretty sure that is the way it goes. 

The figure I've usually heard was 10x the power to double the volume, which is probably close to what you are saying also. 

The basic concept is definitely correct though! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs