Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab w/ Infinity System - What to do?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab w/ Infinity System - What to do?

• I'm going to custom install a double din kenwood dvd/nav system in my truck soon and I'm wondering what I should do about speakers and amps.  With the infinity system there is 7 speakers, 6 of which I would like to still use (or replace and use in the spots).  I want to get new 3.5 inch tweeters for the dash spots, new 6x9's in the front and new rear speakers. Im thinking about just getting infinity kappas for everything, but not completely sure.  Now obviously if you have a dodge ram with the infinity system, you know you just cant hook everything up to the deck because of the stupid stock infinity amplifier. 

I'm thinking about getting a  6 channel JL amp (70 watts+/- per channel) with the dash, front and rear speakers all seperated.  I'm going to buy an active 2 way crossover to split the front signal comming from the deck, and have highs to the 3.5s and mids to the 6x9's.  Then im going to run the rear speakers off the last 2 channels on the amp.

So, my question is......does this sound like a good idea?  Or is it just too much of a hassle?  I know there is also a metra harness (CHTO-02.... i think) that will make use of the stock infinity amplifier......obviously it wont sound as good, but will it sound any better.....OR LOUDER......than it does now?  I will be adding the mtx thunderforms box in the rear too with probably a 400 watt amp or so. 

PSSSS......METRA MAKES A HARNESS THAT BYPASSES THE AMPLIFIER COMPELTELY (Metra 70-6512).....WOULD THIS SUPPLY POWER TO MY DECK?? THIS SITE SAYS THAT I NEED THE OTHER HARNESS TO DO THAT....ALSO, IF I BYPASS THE AMP, HOW WOULD THE FRONT SPEAKERS ALL WORK?  WOULD THE 6X9'S AND 3.5'S ALL SHARE WATTAGE FOR THE FRONT 2 SPEAKERS FROM THE AMP IN THE HEAD UNIT. 

THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES!!!

• What I did was completely by-pass the Infinity amp. I used a harness for a new head unit, then ran RCA's to my amps and new speaker wires. So the only thing in the harness I used were the power, remote and ground wires.

I made adaptors for the front door 6x9 holes and put 6.5" components in. I mounted tweeters in the top of the door panel (where the Infinity badge is). I didn't put anything in the dash speaker holes. I also had a dual 10" Thunderform enclosure under the back seats.

• hotshot27:
    I'm thinking about getting a  6 channel JL amp (70 watts+/- per channel) with the dash, front and rear speakers all seperated.  I'm going to buy an active 2 way crossover to split the front signal comming from the deck, and have highs to the 3.5s and mids to the 6x9's.  Then im going to run the rear speakers off the last 2 channels on the amp.

So, my question is......does this sound like a good idea?  Or is it just too much of a hassle?

It's not a bad idea, but it's a bit more elaborate and expensive than I would go with.  Personally, I would run the 3.5's off the HU, and get a 4-channel amp for the other speakers, and either use bass blockers or preferably the HU internal HPF if it has one on the 3.5's.

I know there is also a metra harness (CHTO-02.... i think) that will make use of the stock infinity amplifier......obviously it wont sound as good, but will it sound any better.....OR LOUDER......than it does now?

No, it won't be any louder - however, if you just want the added navigation functionality of the HU and are happy with the sound, that would be the easiest option.

PSSSS......METRA MAKES A HARNESS THAT BYPASSES THE AMPLIFIER COMPELTELY (Metra 70-6512).....WOULD THIS SUPPLY POWER TO MY DECK?? THIS SITE SAYS THAT I NEED THE OTHER HARNESS TO DO THAT....ALSO, IF I BYPASS THE AMP, HOW WOULD THE FRONT SPEAKERS ALL WORK?  WOULD THE 6X9'S AND 3.5'S ALL SHARE WATTAGE FOR THE FRONT 2 SPEAKERS FROM THE AMP IN THE HEAD UNIT.

I think you need both harnesses to bypass the amp.  You can run tweeters and 6x9's in parallel off the HU, but I don't think I would do it with 6x9's and 3.5's - particularly Infinity's which are often less than 4-ohms to begin with.  You could bypass the amp with the harness and not run the 3.5's and get a bit more power to your remaining speakers, but it's probably about as easy to run new speaker wire if you were doing that.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Have you installed the double din head unit in your 04 dodge yet?  How did you do it.  I am being told all over the place it can't be done. I bought the dash cover without the nobs from the stock radio and the new cut out is open to the small cuby hole under the stock radio.  Can you help?
  • http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/thread/57933.aspx

Getting a bit of conflicting information here - Metra lists the 6510 kit as working for the 2004, even though the kit says it is for 2005-Up.  You need the Dodge trim bezel for the Double-DIN.  That might need to be a 2005 part.  I would start with that and if you can get that and make it fit on your truck, I think the Metra kit will work for the rest.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I have a '04 dodge quad and was thinking of putting dual 10" Thunderform enclosure under the back seats....now for 2 more questions....1) where was the best spot for the amps?  2) what kind of speakers (high powered, hopefully) did u put in the back door? Seems i can't find a speaker higher then 50 rms for that spot ( i do have infinity 692.9i 6x9 in the front door) just looking for a better wattage match...ty

'04 Dodge Quad Cab, JVC KD-AHD59, Infinity Kappa 692.9i (6x9's-front door speakers), Sony X-Plod XS-GTX1640 (61/2" 4-way-rear door speakers)Focal Solid 4 (400W 4-channel amp), 2-10" Polk MM1040 subs powered by a Alpine MRP-M500 mono amp.

• I had one amp under each front seat.

I didn't (still don't) have anything in the rear doors. Just left the factory speakers in there unpowered.