Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Conversion Van - How do you install an overhead LCD upgade in the CRT space

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Conversion Van - How do you install an overhead LCD upgade in the CRT space

• I have a 1997 Chevy Astro Conversion Van (Tiara Conversion) and I am looking at replacing the current CRT with a new flip down 20"LCD, with infrared headphones, and in dash DVD Player (without screen).  I would like the LCD to go in the space where the old TV was.  I would love any advice or testimonies from anyone who may have already attempted something like this.  I want the overhead LCD, but the top of the Van is Fiberglass, and I do not know if this will affect the mounting process especially with the size of screen we are considering.

We are also updating the sound system (with an amp, new speakers, and sub-woofer with included amp) when we do the LCD install and I was concerned with the vans ability to power all of this additional equipment without having negative effects on the van itself.  Should we check into a more powerful alternator, or capacitor or both?  I want the sound system and LCD, but not to the point of compromising the vans ability to drive or function normally while they are running.

I would also like to maintain the appearance of a "factory install" as much as possible.

• Installing a larger screen over a smaller one is easier than the other way around, but I don't know how the fiberglass come in.  I don't think it would be a problem, but I don't have expertise in this field.

The electrical will be determined by what you do with the subwoofers - for example a fairly mild 250W RMS subwoofer install should have negligible effect on the electrical.  Two 1500W subwoofers would likely require dual HO alternators, multiple batteries, etc.  Between those extremes it is hard to say until you try it out.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks