Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

LED lights to AMP?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

LED lights to AMP?

This question is answered

would i be able to run led/neon lights in my trunk off of the amps power supply?

i plan on using 6-8 leds/neons in the trunk.

or should i hook up a resitor to the current trunk light and have it powerd that way?

97- taurus.

THANKS!!

Verified Answer
  • jkp7891
    would i be able to run led/neon lights in my trunk off of the amps power supply?

By power supply, do you just mean tapping off the 12V constant wire feeding the amp from the battery, or are you looking for sound activated lights that sync with the music and tap into the amp outputs?

In any case, it depends on whether you plan on running LEDs or CCFs. The LEDs will require a lower voltage and current limiting resistor. The CCFs will require a ballast or inverter. Both can be done fairly easily, but will require different approaches.

jkp7891
    or should i hook up a resitor to the current trunk light and have it powerd that way?

Definitely not. Why is the resistor needed for the current trunk light, but not the amp power?

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 1:34 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Sep 25 2010]

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

All Replies
  • jkp7891

By power supply, do you just mean tapping off the 12V constant wire feeding the amp from the battery, or are you looking for sound activated lights that sync with the music and tap into the amp outputs?

In any case, it depends on whether you plan on running LEDs or CCFs. The LEDs will require a lower voltage and current limiting resistor. The CCFs will require a ballast or inverter. Both can be done fairly easily, but will require different approaches.

jkp7891

Definitely not. Why is the resistor needed for the current trunk light, but not the amp power?

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 1:34 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Sep 25 2010]

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

• I know what Ninja1283 meant, but the reply might be a bit unclear to the OP.

If you just want the lights to come on with the trunk light when the trunk is open, either using 12V LED's or a resistor with 2.1V LED's will work (make sure you understand the circuit to know what resistor you need), but you would also need that same resistor to run those LED's off the amp power wire if you were doing that.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• there are 12v led lights made to run on 12v power and you could feed them from the power wire going to the amp but i would put a small fuse after the amp before the lights (or controller if you are using RGB Lights or an led audio controller that makes your lights flash to the music)  so if you have a short nothing melts