Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Alpine 9887 From US FM to Europen FM

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Alpine 9887 From US FM to Europen FM

• I wonder if there is anyway to change the FM radio tuning stepping from 200 Mhz (The US) to 100 or 50 Mhz? Is that possible with a special combination of keys, or is there anyway I can do that?

I want the FM to read as 87.5, 87.6, 87.7.

The reason is that the Europeon versions are almost double the price with the exact same specifications?

Please help.......

The model that I am planning to get is either the CDA-9887 or the CDA-9885

Thanks

• Hello,

I don't show that any of the Alpine radios have European tuning capability. There are several Kenwood units that we carry that can do that, though. You do have to adjust the tuner because they do not come that way out of the box. A unit that is similar to the CDA-9887 is the Kenwood KDC-X891. It has better preamp outputs and a 2-year warranty instead of the 1-year on the Alpine.

In order to get it to receive European stations you will need to do the following steps:

1. Hold the source button down to turn the unit completely off (display must be off as well).
    2. Hold down preset buttons 1 and 5.
    3. Press the SRC button, while holding down preset buttons 1 and 5.
    4. After the SRC button is pressed, the unit will turn on and you can release the SRC, preset 1 and preset 5 buttons

Hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out for you.

• Thanks alot Warren for the response; the Europeon version of the CDA-9887 is the CDA-9887R version in which its twice the price!!; I am interested to get the Alpine because it has the Imprint technology that I like to use and I am more into the Alpine brand as my speakers system is from Alpine as well.

I don't like the style of Kenwood neither do I like the brand itself; I need to know if its possible to program the Alpine to work on the European FM/AM standards, and how.....

Thanks again for the fast and impressive recommandation though.

• Anyone please!!
  • Based on the information we have from Alpine, their units do not support European tuning. They simply cannot be programmed to do so. That's why they have a European version of the unit. If you have to stay with Alpine, then you will have to go with the European models. Sorry I don't have better news for you there.

Anybody else have any ideas out there?

• Warren:
    Anybody else have any ideas out there?

I believe a lot of the JVC's support dual tuning also, FWIW.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• You're right, Tiger JVC does have Euro tuning. A lot of the Blaupunkts do too, but that's it for the models that we carry.

HTH, Davaid.

[edited by: Warren at 10:21 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, Sep 05 2007]
  •  Hi, I am going to be installing a KDC-x991 next week and, well, unlike the x791 there are no preset buttons...at least not as shown in the photo of the x991. So, with that difference, how would I unlock the 991's European tuning function?

And yes, I realize that I've been spoiled all this time with European tuning for years since I got my Alpine 9853 in '05. The rude awakening was when that HU got stolen and I got a 6900UB to replace it. I would tune my radio to 89.25 when the 89.3 signal got weak to buy myself a few more miles of intelligible listening on that station. I don't know why Alpine hacked the feature for the '07 models, it seems pointless.

[edited by: Padfoot at 3:07 AM (GMT -5) on Sun, Sep 23 2007]
  • I found this in our tech notes:

Standard and European Tuning Spacing: You may select U.S. standard or European tuning spacing. To switch to/from European tuning spacing:

1. Hold the source button down to turn the unit completely off (display must be off as well).
    2. Hold down preset buttons 1 and 5.
    3. Press the SRC button, while holding down preset buttons 1 and 5.
    4. After the SRC button is pressed, the unit will turn on and you can release the SRC, preset 1 and preset 5 buttons.

Note: When the unit is switched to European tuning, the clock is displayed in a 24-hour format.

HTH!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• Paul - Warren posted that previously in the thread, but for the X-891, not the X-991.

Padfoot - Come to think of it, the X-891 does not have preset buttons either.  I am ASSuMEing they mean the preset buttons on the remote maybe, but dunno.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

•         Yeah I was thinking the remote as well, since that's the only way to directly access presets on the x-891 and x991 based on the instruction manual. If it works that way when mine finally arrives this week I'll be quick to mention it here.

Update: no luck, the remote doesn't work so I'll have to call Kenwood and find out how to do it.

[edited by: Padfoot at 3:36 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Sep 24 2007]
  • The information we originally had for the KDC-X991 to switch it from US to European tuning was incorrect. (It's hard to press preset buttons that don't exist on a unit.)

Here's what you have to do.

Standard and European Tuning Spacing: You may select U.S. standard or European tuning spacing. To switch to/from European tuning spacing:

2. Hold down FNC and ATT buttons at the same time.
    3. Press the SRC button, while holding down FNC and ATT buttons.
    4. After the SRC button is pressed, the unit will turn on and you can release the SRC, FNC and ATT buttons.

I tested this on an actual unit and it definitely is what needs to be done.

Shawn

• Thanks! I was hoping someone from CF would investigate. Kenwood had me fax them my receipt before level 2 tech support would call me back with the info on that. It's been a couple days and no call back, the wonderful support they offer. Confused

[edited by: Padfoot at 12:43 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Sep 27 2007]
  • I'm glad I could help. This is also the same procedure for the KDC-X891.

Shawn

• Hi,

I am planning to buy Alpine CDA9886, but need European tuining, would this procedure for european tuining spacing work with Alpine 9886 also ? any idea ? has any one tried it ?