Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2012 Camry Audio Upgrade

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2012 Camry Audio Upgrade

This question is answered

I just got a 2012 Camry with "Display Audio" but it does not have the JBL upgraded audio system; just the standard 6-speaker setup. I love the user interface and it's support for iPod/USB/XM/Pandora, etc., but the sound quality is just not good. What are my options to upgrade the sound quality while keeping the factory head unit? Is this even possible for an amateur to do? Also, this is a leased car, so it would need to be reasonably easy to convert back to stock in 3 years. My budget is $1,500 or less.

Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • You have lots of options for improving the sound, but the lease is REALLY going to limit you here.

You can replace the speakers fairly painlessly and that would be a good starting point and maybe enough of an upgrade.

If you want even better sound, you need an amp - that can get tricky to do, but it is possible.

One trick is to use a reverse wire harness (for 2011, it would be the Metra 70-1761 and 71-1761, not sure if the 2012 uses the same plugs or not).

Connect the power and ground wires together.

Run the speaker outputs on the radio harness to speaker level connectors on the new amp or to a line-output converter.  Run the amp speaker outputs to the speaker input wires on the car side of the connector.

You still need power and ground wiring, for the amp, though (and remote turn-on).  Normally, you run that from the battery, but that involves messing with the battery terminals and MAYBE drilling through the firewall.  I'm not sure how the lease company would feel about that, but they probably won't like it.

What you might want to do is look into something like the Alpine KTP-445, which could be run off the HU circuit or a fuse tap from the fuse box and you could cut the plugs off it and use it with your factory radio.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • You have lots of options for improving the sound, but the lease is REALLY going to limit you here.

You can replace the speakers fairly painlessly and that would be a good starting point and maybe enough of an upgrade.

If you want even better sound, you need an amp - that can get tricky to do, but it is possible.

One trick is to use a reverse wire harness (for 2011, it would be the Metra 70-1761 and 71-1761, not sure if the 2012 uses the same plugs or not).

Connect the power and ground wires together.

Run the speaker outputs on the radio harness to speaker level connectors on the new amp or to a line-output converter.  Run the amp speaker outputs to the speaker input wires on the car side of the connector.

You still need power and ground wiring, for the amp, though (and remote turn-on).  Normally, you run that from the battery, but that involves messing with the battery terminals and MAYBE drilling through the firewall.  I'm not sure how the lease company would feel about that, but they probably won't like it.

What you might want to do is look into something like the Alpine KTP-445, which could be run off the HU circuit or a fuse tap from the fuse box and you could cut the plugs off it and use it with your factory radio.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks TigerHeli! I was wondering if replacing the speakers might be enough; I guess I could start with that and then see if I need an amp. I sure hate to mess with much else and jeopardize having issues at lease end with the inspection.