60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2007 Toyota Avalon factory stereo wiring colors

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2007 Toyota Avalon factory stereo wiring colors

This question is answered

Hey All,

I have a '07 avalon and want to install my clean sweep and in order to do that I need to interrupt the factory speaker wires.  Unfortuantely i can;t seem to find the factory wiring diagram with color codes for the wires.  Any ideas where i can get that?

Thanks,

Verified Answer
  • You seem to have a pretty good handle on this - I'll just give you my take based on what you've said - take it or leave it.

• From a pure SQ, sound stage, and stereo image separation standpoint ...  You get the best sound from amping the front door components and adding the dual W3 sub box.  I understand in a car the size of an Avalon you probably want rear door speakers for the rear seat passengers as well.  Any free air sub, center channel speakers (unless you have a DVD head unit with 5.1 stereo processing), rear deck speakers (even 5.25) TAKES AWAY from the above.  (I understand the modern trend is 15-amplifier, 160 speaker systems, but ...)  Again, it's largely personal preference, but if your overall goal is sound quality.
    • The above is a trade-off, though - much of car audio is balancing good sound for the driver against fairly good sound for any location in the car.
    • I understand the concern about the OEM amp distorting the signal a bit - but essentially that's what the CleanSweep is designed to take care of.  And anyway - I don't really see many ways to work around it.  You have essentially 4 options for doing this:
      • Replace the OEM head unit with an Aftermarket head, then you don't need the OEM amp or the CleanSweep.  That's almost always my approach, but I understand some people want stealth controls, maybe OEM DVD or Satellite, maybe rear-view cameras, etc.  As you said, it was easier on older cars.
      • Install the CleanSweep after the factory amp(s) - that is likely your best option for what you are attempting to do.
      • Bypass the OEM amp and add some type of signal processor to allow you to fade the signal between front and rear aftermarket amp channels.  This would work fine, but you have a comparatively ugly audio controller panel below the dash or in the glove box - if that works for you, you would be better off replacing the head unit.
      • Bypass the OEM amp and live with not being able to fade or adjust the balance from the head unit.  This would give marginally better sound, but while I rarely adjust the balance and fader myself, knowing that I COULDN"T (especially if the controls were there, but just couldn't be used) would REALLY bother me.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • we can fix you up.  just a couple questions and we'll have it.  the wiring differs a bit depending on whether or not you have the optional JBL audio system, and again if you have the optional navigation. trying to make this easy, so here's what i'm looking at.

if you need additional help, just reply to the thread.

• Well this is turning out to be more complicated then I thought.  I want to bypass the factory amp but keep the factory head unit. How should I by wiring the clean sweep?

• so... what options do you have?  navi? JBL?  both?

• I'm assuming you have the non-Navigation JBL system.

I don't think you want to bypass the factory amp - the amp is controlled by data lines and bypassing it would (at a minimum) disable any fader controls from the head unit.

I would recommend leaving the amp connected, but disconnecting the speakers from it, and using (probably) the front door and rear deck speaker outputs to feed the CleanSweep.

The info is all on the links J Ro provided if you still want to do it, though.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I have the JBL Synthesis Non-navigation system.  Components in the doors (front and rear) 3 1/2's in the deck with the weasly 8 1/2 sub.  I was looking to replace all of the speakers and possibly upgrade the deck with 5.25's and get a free air woofer.  I already have multiple JL amps and a dual w3 sub-box.  In addition to my JL and Alpine components.  My only concern not bypassing the factory amp is distortion. 

I have been doing this for 20 years and for some reason I am having a brain freeze with this system.  My Jeep Cherokee was so much easier!!! 

If I connect my cleansweep to all of the speaker outputs on the amp i still have the amp in the equation.  The point of the clean sweep is to clean the sound curve in a factory system while also giving you the ability to add amplifiers. My only real concern would be if the amplifiers causes issues witht the cleansweep. 

I suppose I can keep the factory amp and just add the others I have planned down stream of that.  At least I didn't cut anywires at the head unit which the impatient side of me wanted to do.  I could just use the factory amp for the center channel and deck which would be less work for me.  That's a good idea Tiger, one less amp to wire up.

J Ro thanks for the wiring diagram.  That was exactly what I needed, you are a life saver.

Only one real way to see if all works though, that's to execute the plan. 

Anymore pearls of wisdom before I start?

• You seem to have a pretty good handle on this - I'll just give you my take based on what you've said - take it or leave it.

• From a pure SQ, sound stage, and stereo image separation standpoint ...  You get the best sound from amping the front door components and adding the dual W3 sub box.  I understand in a car the size of an Avalon you probably want rear door speakers for the rear seat passengers as well.  Any free air sub, center channel speakers (unless you have a DVD head unit with 5.1 stereo processing), rear deck speakers (even 5.25) TAKES AWAY from the above.  (I understand the modern trend is 15-amplifier, 160 speaker systems, but ...)  Again, it's largely personal preference, but if your overall goal is sound quality.
    • The above is a trade-off, though - much of car audio is balancing good sound for the driver against fairly good sound for any location in the car.
    • I understand the concern about the OEM amp distorting the signal a bit - but essentially that's what the CleanSweep is designed to take care of.  And anyway - I don't really see many ways to work around it.  You have essentially 4 options for doing this:
      • Replace the OEM head unit with an Aftermarket head, then you don't need the OEM amp or the CleanSweep.  That's almost always my approach, but I understand some people want stealth controls, maybe OEM DVD or Satellite, maybe rear-view cameras, etc.  As you said, it was easier on older cars.
      • Install the CleanSweep after the factory amp(s) - that is likely your best option for what you are attempting to do.
      • Bypass the OEM amp and add some type of signal processor to allow you to fade the signal between front and rear aftermarket amp channels.  This would work fine, but you have a comparatively ugly audio controller panel below the dash or in the glove box - if that works for you, you would be better off replacing the head unit.
      • Bypass the OEM amp and live with not being able to fade or adjust the balance from the head unit.  This would give marginally better sound, but while I rarely adjust the balance and fader myself, knowing that I COULDN"T (especially if the controls were there, but just couldn't be used) would REALLY bother me.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Much appreciated Tiger.  I think install after the factory amp is the winner.  Thanks for helping me sort this out.  Writing it out cleared it up in my head believe it or not. 

• One more question.  What is the best way to get my ipod connected into the system?

• Replace the factory head unit with one that supports iPod input.Devil  (Sorry, couldn't resist, but that would be the best way).

The CleanSweep actually has an auxiliary input so you would be able to connect the iPod to that and listen to it that way.  That would be your easiest solution - although you would have to select songs from the iPod itself and would not see the songs on the head unit display.

If you wanted to control the iPod via the head unit, USA SPEC and PAC and DICE often have adapters to allow that, but you often need satellite radio on the OEM head unit.  A Crutchfield advisor on the 800 number would probably have better info on this option, unless someone else does.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Well I have finally got this baby wired and setup.  Sounds like garbage and the cleansweep just adds a layer of complexity I don't have the time to troubleshoot.   I don't want to spend anymore time on this.  However, if I do use an aftermarket unit they say i will need to relocate my OEM radio in the car as it also handles the climate controls.  Crutchfield offers a harness that addresses that but not for the premium sound system????  Nothing is easy anymore.

• Jammy
    However, if I do use an aftermarket unit they say i will need to relocate my OEM radio in the car as it also handles the climate controls.

Who said that? - I'm not sure it is true ...

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/15903711-18.html

2007 Avalon Limited - Blizzard White Pearl / Ivory photo #18

I'm not directly familiar with the car, but none of the HVAC controls are built into the radio.  The HVAC settings do show up on the radio display, so you would need to keep that and there are data bus lines connected to the radio, so it's POSSIBLE the HVAC controls pass data to the radio and then on to the display, but I don't know that for sure.

Also - there is a premium harness for retaining the JBL amplifier, but you might want the basic non-JBL harness if you are replacing the head unit and amp and speakers completely.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Yeah it's true....The data lines pass through the radio.  Apparently the radio provides some level of resistance on the line that enables the data circuit to complete it's loop.  Otherwise without the radio the control screen displays blue but not any info such as temp, doors open/closed, outside temp etc. 

The CSR at crutchfield said there we notes in the system that you would lose the HVAC display in the screen on the dash.  There are some threads that say you can put a 68Ohm resistor in between the data lines that enables you to not even have to retain the OEM head unit.  The results are touch and go.  

Metra sells a  premium harness that will allow you to install an aftermarket head unit and keep the rest of the JBL systems.  I have no intention of doing that because I have rewired everything so all i need is ground, 12V acc, 12v constant and the two data lines..  Apparently a non premium harness does not exist.  Anyway if i have to relocate it then so be it.  Checkout

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/156-3rd-generation-2005-2012/278165-installing-aftermarket-navigation-radio-my-06-limited-4.html

• They sure do make it complicated these days - but you seem to have a good handle on it!!!