Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2007 Honda Accord - How best to connect iPod?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2007 Honda Accord - How best to connect iPod?

• My 2007 Honda Accord has the factory headunit (XM & in-dash 6-disc changer).  I replaced the rear deck speakers with Boston S95's (good mids and highs, very bad bass).  I also put in an Eclipse sub and a crossfire amp in the trunk and now, the sound is excellent!  I don't need XM.  I just want to hook up my iPod and also listen to FM or a CD occasionally.  I know about the USA-SPEC Honda iPod adapter which sells for $150. 

My question is ... wouldn't it be better to just replace the factory HU with a brand-name, that has an AUX port in the front for $170 or so?  Why would anybody want to spend $150 on an iPod adapter alone?  Will an after-marker unit still work the dual-zone climate controls and the other climate controls in the Honda?

Please explain if you have a info/opinion - I'm trying to decide whether to get my HU changed or get the iPod adapter!  Thanks a lot.

[edited by: AKR at 5:01 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Dec 17 2007]
  • AKR:

I know about the USA-SPEC Honda iPod adapter which sells for $150.  My question is ... wouldn't it be better to just replace the factory HU with a brand-name, that has an AUX port in the front for $170 or so?  Why would anybody want to spend $150 on an iPod adapter alone?  Please explain if you have an opinion - I'm trying to decide whether to get my HU changed or get the iPod adapter!  Thanks a lot.

most of the time yes it is better to just swap out head units but in some cases where there is factory built in navigainon, voice activation ,steering wheel controls, ect...it is sometimes easier just to spend the $150 on the adapter vs spending $1,000 or so to get all the same functions as the factory..

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • >> Steering controls, navigation, etc ..

Oh ok, that makes sense.  I like the steering wheel audio controls, but I would gladly give them up, if my iPod could connect directly to the stereo.  Also, my car doesn't have built-in navigation.  Again, I don't need XM either.

Given these ... would you recommend I get the iPod adapter, or replace the HU?  Thanks a lot!

• for your case i would go with a new head unit...it is going to probably make you the happiest...better sound more functions and you can run your ipod...

if i could i would like to suggest the alpine CDA-9884 becasue it comes with the ipod adapter...instead of using an aux input...

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • Thanks a lot
  • ur welcome

• Recommend you replace the HU as well.

Some of them can use a wired remote and if you get one of these HU's you can use the steering wheel controls with it (with about a $70 adapter), otherwise you can get a $70 adapter with an Infra-red emitter, but it doesn't look as clean, IMHO.

The iPod adapter vs. AUX port mainly comes down to whether you want to use the iPod to select songs and play them back through the stereo or you want to be able to search and select from the iPod using the HU.  I think it also charges the iPod with the adapter, but there are more HU's with the aux port. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I'm planning to get an iPod Touch soon, so I'd rather use it for selection. 

Thanks a lot for the info.

• Just to cover the bases - I assume that you did verify that the Accord does not have an aux port from the factory already?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I chatted with a Crutchfield rep today and she told me, that since my car has the dual-zone climate controls integrated into the factory radio unit display, I can get one of these mounting kits, http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=120997862&i=120997862 to replace the storage space beneath the factory stereo.  And, install another stereo in this kit, while using the factory stereo display just for climate controls.

So, I guess I'll lose XM and the 6-CD in-dash changer when I do this.  But, all I care about are the climate controls working like now, and an AUX input for the iPod, and of course, I'll have a 1-CD player with my new stereo.  So, this ought to work.

• I almost never listen to cds anymore now that I got my Ipod hooked up.  It's a shame because the mp3's or aac's on my ipod don't sound quite as good as the cds, even with the bit rate at 320kbps.  But it sure is convenient to have 13,000+ songs on my 80Gb Ipod tucked in my glove box, with full control at my HU.

I am very happy with my alpine CDA-9885 The ipod control is real fast even with that large library. 

Just be careful with the touch, I'm not sure all of the HU's support it yet.

2007 Chevy Express Diesel Van Alpine CDA-9886 HU - KCA-SC100 Sirius - USB Drive - 80Gb Ipod Kenwood KAC-859 Amp Alpine SPR-17S 6.5 - front Polk DB460 - rear (off HU) 2-Soundstream SPL-10 DVC 4 ohm subs in sealed box (10 years old!)
  • I'm confused now.  I read reviews on that mounting kit, and 2 or 3 customers say they finally gave up because of the rattling or the improper fit, and opted for the more expensive kit, which some are happy with - but I could not find a more expensive kit for my 2007 Accord on Crutchfield.  ;--(

Also, I couldn't find more info ... the description of the mounting kit mentions that it comes with a wiring harness that connects to the climate controls.  Now, I thought the climate controls would remain connected to the factory stereo display, and the only thing that the aftermarket stereo would do is to run the FM, the CD (of the aftermarket stereo) and the AUX-in!  Anybody have any info?  Thanks.

• I'll take a stab at this, although I am not familiar with your specific car - I just googled the info.

As I understand it, the current stereo also displays climate info, so you cannot simply run the wiring from the old stereo to the aftermarket one (like a standard install) without losing the climate info.

If I am right (this is a single-zone model), but your stereo looks something like this:

The CF kit is the Metra 99-7862 (Instructions here) As you can see from the instructions, this kit installs the radio below the climate zone selector buttons in the storage cubby, leaving the dash display untouched.

The "better" kit that people refer to is not available from CF (I don't think) and is likely the Metra 99-7864 (Instructions here)  Note the 70-7864DZ harness would also be required for your application.  This relocates the climate control knobs and installs the new radio in place of the existing one.  It is not clear how you retain the dash display with this, or perhaps it works with dual-zone climate controls, but not electronic climate controls like (I assume) you have.

Scosche makes a kit which is similar to the CF kit - so it is possible this is the "better" kit that is referred to. I didn't see any American International kits for your car.

From what it sounds like you are looking for, I would recommend you try the CF kit and then look at other options if you are not happy with it - but since both kits appear to be from Metra, I doubt there will be much difference.   (From reviews I have read for the Focus, Metra makes a better kit than Scosche, but I also think CF can carry whatever they want and they carry the Scosche kit for the newer Civic, I believe, so it may vary by application).

Hope This Helps!!!! 

• You rock!  Smile  Thanks a lot for the info.  Yes, that looks like the dash from my car, except mine's a dual-zone thingy.

Now, I understand why someone would spend $150 on a USA SPEC Honda iPod Adapter. I was wondering why someone would spend so much on a mere adapter when he can get a new stereo with aux and the installation kit for $130 or so. If I use this adapter, I can keep using the factory stereo's 6-CD changer, the XM and the dual-zone climate controls as well. Duh! Feel dumb now. Sad

• AKR:
    Now, I understand why someone would spend $150 on a USA SPEC Honda iPod Adapter. I was wondering why someone would spend so much on a mere adapter when he can get a new stereo with aux and the installation kit for $130 or so. If I use this adapter, I can keep using the factory stereo's 6-CD changer, the XM and the dual-zone climate controls as well. Duh! Feel dumb now. Sad

You could do that, but I still wouldn't recommend it.  (Although you are making rationalizations above and I am making them below ... so)

• The kit is only $30, and half off that with most receivers - it may be free - I am not sure on that.  Some people said they had rattles with it, but I don't know that this would be the norm.
    • The kit allows you to use the dual zone climate controls.
    • For XM - I would rather have a Plug-N-Play that connects through the AUX port on the new HU - you get a more detailed display and you can use it in the house or car with one subscription.  (Member brianrwebb has adapters that will allow you to connect the Honda factory antenna to an aftermarket tuner, I assume this works with the Roady type PnP's as well).
    • If your car has a 6-disc non-MP3 deck (believe it does), you can fit more songs on a single MP3 CD (roughtly 13-15 albums) as opposed to six.  Even if it's an MP3 changer, it's annoying having a bunch of CD's floating around the car compared to a USB port.
    • You have much more control over tone and a subwoofer and much easier addition of higher powered amplifiers with an aftermarket deck.
    FWIW ...