Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Factory Infinity Amplifier Bypass in 1999 Dodge Durango

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Factory Infinity Amplifier Bypass in 1999 Dodge Durango

• I own a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9L V8 Magnum. It has a Factory Infinity amplifier in it. I recently replaced the speakers and HU. The speakers don't sound that great and are distorted with a little bit of bass. I was wondering if this was being caused by the factory amp and if so is there any adaptors or easy ways to bypass the amp? Can i take the amp out? I also was wondering what the difference was between bypassing the amp and integrating the amp is integration going to be helpful?

Any help would be great!
    Thanks,

Colton

• I was wondering what the difference was between bypass and integration. Does Integration sound better than not doing anything to the factory infinty amp? Is it worth bypassing or integrating and running speakers just off of pioneer headunit?
  • Oddly, CF doesn't carry any info on the Infinity amplifier for the 1999 Dodge Durango (well, they do here, I suppose all 1999 Durango's had the Infinity system).

Colton92:
    I was wondering what the difference was between bypass and integration. Does Integration sound better than not doing anything to the factory infinty amp? Is it worth bypassing or integrating and running speakers just off of pioneer headunit?

Generally, there are adapters to do either one.  Bypassing refers to connecting wires between the amp inputs and outputs, so the amp is "bypassed" or out of the circuit.  Integrating refers to adapters that match the speaker or RCA outputs to the new HU to the input levels of the factory amp.  In your case, it looks like you integrated the amp and these adapters were not required. 

I recently replaced the speakers and HU. The speakers don't sound that great and are distorted with a little bit of bass.

I saw in a previous post that you are using the Pioneer DEH-4900ib HU.  What speakers did you go with? 

I was wondering if this was being caused by the factory amp and if so is there any adaptors or easy ways to bypass the amp?

Could be the cause - I don't see any easy bypass adapters for you, but you can either splice inputs and outputs together, run new wires from the HU all the way to the speakers,  or run new wires from the HU and splice into the speaker wires after the amp connection.

Can i take the amp out?

Sure, once it's out of the circuit, it's just extra weight in the vehicle. 

I also was wondering what the difference was between bypassing the amp and integrating the amp is integration going to be helpful?

Generally, even the premium factory systems are less powerful than the aftermarket HU's.  I would leave the amp in and try bypassing it, and then you can either put it back if it sounded better or completely remove it if the bypass sounded better.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs