Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Pontiac G6 Monsoon Help!

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Pontiac G6 Monsoon Help!

• I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 sedan with the Monsoon system. Yes it sounds great, but I want it to sound a bit better. If I choose to upgrade the radio, I will have to spend a lot of money. New stereo + harness + DIC display = A Lot of Cash. So I want to keep my current factory stereo.

I have purchased New Alpine Type R's rated at 4 ohms and I have an amp hooked up to the car. How do I bypass the Monsoon amp and how do I connect the speakers to the amp? I went to bestbuy and bought a line out converter but I can't get it to work, the monsoon has 4 wires going to each speaker, 2 for bass and 2 for highs. Can the G6 speakers be upgraded and hooked up to an amp?

Thanks in advanced!!

• Here is the wiring info for the G6.

I think you can splice in before the amp and connect your LOC that way, but I'm not positive of that.

I'll try to get an administrator to confirm. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• When installing a line output converter, you need a factory amplified signal. This means, you will not bypass the factory amplifier in your vehicle. You’ll want to tap off the factory speaker leads after the factory amplification.

Because you’re adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers, you’ll need to be certain that the factory speaker wires that you are tapping contain the bass frequencies. Because you already have factory “subwoofers” in this system, I would recommend tapping off these leads from the factory amplifier’s output harness:

FUNCTION

PIN

WIRE COLOR

R/R Subwoofer -

L.GN/BK*

R/R Subwoofer +

D.BU/WT*

&

FUNCTION

PIN

WIRE COLOR

L/R Subwoofer -

L.GN/BK*

L/R Subwoofer +

D.BU/WT*

The output harness of the factory amplifier should look something like this:

Pontiac G6 Monsoon amp output 

The L/R subwoofer connections are in a separate harness of which I do not have a picture to share. The pinouts of the second harness should be arranged this way:

I hope that helps.

[edited by: Ryan at 4:40 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Jun 11 2008] [edited by: Ryan at 4:39 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Jun 11 2008] [edited by: Ryan at 4:39 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Jun 11 2008] [edited by: Ryan at 4:31 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Jun 11 2008]

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• Thanks Ryan!!! 

I was thinking they were Type R main speakers, not subwoofers ..., but I likely mis-read that!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli:

Thanks Ryan!!! 

I was thinking they were Type R main speakers, not subwoofers ..., but I likely mis-read that!!!

Good point Tiger. Hopefully the OP will let us know if they aren't subwoofers. The answer is basically the same but he'll need to tap different wires if they are full range.

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• Yes they are main speakers not subs.

Great thanks I will try this and post my results.

• Hang on a minute ...

Ryan - the pinouts you posted and the link I posted do not agree - I'm confused!!!

Also, my link shows Tweeter, Mid-Range, and Woofer outputs from the amp.

I assume the OP will want Mid-Range outputs, but do you know what he will be losing from the input to the Alpine's, if anything? 

• Well, they dont disagree. The pinouts I provided are misteriously absent from the link you provided. Why is that? I have no clue.

This is a moot point anyway as the OP will be installing full-range speakers. He'll need to decide which leads to use based on the size and performance specifications of the Alpine Type R speakers he is installing. It appears the link you provided is accurate for the rest of the connections, so he could choose the woofer, midrange, or tweeter leads based on the frequency range he is looking for.

I hope that helps.

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• Ryan:
    Well, they dont disagree. The pinouts I provided are misteriously absent from the link you provided. Why is that? I have no clue.

Okay, somehow I was thinking my link showed those pins used for other signals than you posted above, but on second sight, it does not, it just omits them. 

This is a moot point anyway as the OP will be installing full-range speakers. He'll need to decide which leads to use based on the size and performance specifications of the Alpine Type R speakers he is installing. It appears the link you provided is accurate for the rest of the connections, so he could choose the woofer, midrange, or tweeter leads based on the frequency range he is looking for.

Is there anyway to get a full-range signal to the speakers (other than swapping the HU and ditching the amp altogether)?

Going back to your previous post ...

When installing a line output converter, you need a factory amplified signal. This means, you will not bypass the factory amplifier in your vehicle. You’ll want to tap off the factory speaker leads after the factory amplification.

But the factory HU does not use RCA cables to the Monsoon amp, so is it possible that the signal before the amp is amplified (and could feed the LOC) and the Monsoon amp essentially connected like the old EQ/Booster amps that were popular in the late 70's.

Or am I making a bad assumption on the Monsoon amp system (very possible).

Thanks again!!! 

• We do not have information on where, or even if, the output leads for the factory amplifier are crossed over. All we know for sure is where the wires end up. Just because the pinout is labeled "Midrange" does not mean that those leads will only provide midrange frequencies. It simply means that those leads connect to the factory midrange driver. It's entirely possible that the the "woofer" "midrage" and "tweeter" outputs will all have full range frequencies.

If you're installing a full range aftermarket speaker, I would recommend usign the "midrange" connections because I doubt, very seriously, that the factory amplifier has both high pass and low pass filters on these connections.

To address your question about the factory leads before the amplifier, I can only say that this is not recommended. While these connections are hardwired (not RCA), they are still pre-amp level signal strength and therefore, cannot be used to supply signal to the LOC. Only the leads coming out of the factory amplifier can be used because the LOC offers the gain controls to reduce the factory powered signal down to a pre-amp RCA audio output.

You could use the factory wires before the amplifier wirthout an LOC, but you would have to splice and RCA connector onto the posivitve and negative leads for each speaker. Not an easy task...

I hope that helps.  

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• Answered all my questions - Thanks Ryan!!!