Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

06 cobalt.. need some install advice

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

06 cobalt.. need some install advice

• heres the story.... my buddy has an 06 cobalt ( 2.2l coupe, no onstar, no pioneer ). he wants me to install a headunit/speakers/amp/subs for him. i said no problem as ive wired up many.

i go to find a wiring harness for the car and NOONE carries them, not best buy circuit tweeter anyone... so i say screw them ill get it online. after reading into it i see that its a PITA to install a deck in a cobalt. you loose audio chimes, speedo, onstar, or you gotta buy an expensive cpu so i said no thanks. i told my buddy we might as well keep his factory headunit and just install speakers and subs because hes not looking to spend a fortune..

my question to you is this.. im thinking the best way to get input to the rca's for the amp is to buy a high/low level converter from here and tap into the rear speakers to get signal (i did it on an impala before and it worked fine). then just hook up the subs/door speakers . does this sound like the best route or do any of you have any suggestions??

also, im probably going to get him pioneer 3 way fronts and 6x9's... do you think ill need to get an amp or do you think the factory HU will be fine for this application?

thanks n advance

Joe

[edited by: x Joe Ls2 x at 3:37 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Aug 13 2008]
  • x Joe Ls2 x:
    heres the story.... my buddy has an 06 cobalt ( 2.2l coupe, no onstar, no pioneer ). he wants me to install a headunit/speakers/amp/subs for him. i said no problem as ive wired up many.

Funny you should mention that - see this thread.

i go to find a wiring harness for the car and NOONE carries them, not best buy circuit tweeter anyone... so i say screw them ill get it online. after reading into it i see that its a PITA to install a deck in a cobalt. you loose audio chimes, speedo, onstar, or you gotta buy an expensive cpu so i said no thanks. i told my buddy we might as well keep his factory headunit and just install speakers and subs because hes not looking to spend a fortune..

Metra actually does make a kit for his car, you can find the info here.  If you don't get the kit, it's not that bad, you lose the Driver Information center, and you lose the chimes, and you lose OnStar, but he doesn't have OnStar.  Shouldn't affect the speedo - unless that is mirrored in the DIC.  You do have to tap into the fuse box for Accessory power, and you do have to cut the plug and splice to the factory wires - wiring info for his car is here.

my question to you is this.. im thinking the best way to get input to the rca's for the amp is to buy a high/low level converter from here and tap into the rear speakers to get signal (i did it on an impala before and it worked fine). then just hook up the subs/door speakers . does this sound like the best route or do any of you have any suggestions??

Tapping into the rear speakers makes sense.  If the sub amp has speaker level inputs you don't need the line-output converter.

The drawback to this is that fading the speakers to the rear will make the sub louder.  The best way to avoid this would be to add a small 4-channel main amp with non-fading pre-outs and use them to feed the sub.

also, im probably going to get him pioneer 3 way fronts and 6x9's... do you think ill need to get an amp or do you think the factory HU will be fine for this application?

On my Focus, the HU amp was the weak link and I did better replacing it than the speakers, but I don't know if that is true for a Cobalt also or not.

HTH! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• In my experience factory HUs are ussually a huge weak link, even some after market units don't drive the speakers the way they should. To avoid distortion, and clipping I would definately recommend a 4chnl amp to drive these speakers. On the other hand you said your friend doesn't want to spend a lot of money another cheap fix is to buy a sub and amp that are more powerful then you really want for the application. After installation turn the bass all the way down on the factory HU, and then tune your amp and sub to compensae for the lost bass.

Loud and Nasty!!

• definately use the high low converter, if you dont it will short the whole system evenualy if not imediatle, RCA wire and speaker have different impedances
  • Bassaddict:
    definately use the high low converter, if you dont it will short the whole system evenualy if not imediatle, RCA wire and speaker have different impedances

I'm not sure this is true.  You can't run the speaker wire to the RCA inputs on the amp, but if you run it to the speaker-level inputs on the amp, the amp essentially has it's own hi-lo converter built-in, so it should be the same (assuming a quality amp - some use floating ground and should be avoided.)

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs