Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Soundbar won't play digital channel sound

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Soundbar won't play digital channel sound

This question is answered

Just bought a Vizio soundbar (VSB200) and when I plug in a digital optical cable for sound from the TV (RCA - L33HD31YX13), the analog TV channels play the sound through the soundbar, but when I come to a digital channel, the soundbar just hisses and crackles.

Only happens on the digital channels. The TV is plugged in directly to the soundbar.

Please help!!!

Verified Answer
  • Your Vizio soundbar will only accept PCM signals on the optical input. If the TV is set to output a Dolby Digital 5.1 when it is available (on the digital channels), you will get either silence or the noise you describe from the soundbar.

You need to check the manual for the TV and use the system settings menu to set the TV's output to "PCM only".

RESIma

All Replies
  • Your Vizio soundbar will only accept PCM signals on the optical input. If the TV is set to output a Dolby Digital 5.1 when it is available (on the digital channels), you will get either silence or the noise you describe from the soundbar.

You need to check the manual for the TV and use the system settings menu to set the TV's output to "PCM only".

RESIma

• Thanks for the suggestion, that 's what I figured out the other day too. Only problem is my RCA HDTV only has a setting for analog (which sucks) and the manual doesn't mention any other options but that. So I'm guessing I just bought a low end TV that might not be so compatible with other devices.

• If the TV has surround option in the sound settings menu, turn surround off and see if that does it.

RESIma