Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

How to connect Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver, Wii and LG 55" flat panel

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

How to connect Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver, Wii and LG 55" flat panel

This question is answered

I have a 55" LG LCD TV, an Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver, cable box and a Wii to connect. 

I'ver buried an HDMI cable behind the wall b/t the TV and the receiver that works fine.  I connected the cable box to the HDMI 1 on the receiver.  My laptop is connected via HDMI 2 into the receiver.  The HDMI output is then run to the TV via the cable behind the wall.  All that I have mentioned so far works like a charm!  No issues at all.

Now, I go to hook the Wii up and I run into issues.  There are no more available HDMI slots on my receiver.  There are also no HDMI options on the Wii anyway.  So, I am forced to used the 3RCA component connection.  No big deal, I thought.  I connected the Wii on it's end and then the three RCS (audio and video) to the receiver under VIDEO 3.  I can hear the Wii, but I have no video at all. 

After messing with it, I am starting to wonder if the receiver is able to convert the component (video) singal to HDMI so that it can then send it back to the TV.  I would think this wasn't an issue; however, the audio seems to work just fine.  I'm almost wondering if there is a silly setting I am missing.  With that in mind, I've invested two hours on it and have all but given up.

You can likely see I do not want to run any more wires to the TV as that HDMI wire buried behind the wall looks very nice.  You see no wires up there, just behind the receiver.  I want it to stay that way.  Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Verified Answer
  • The Onkyo TX-SR604 will not convert any analog signal to HDMI (p.32 of the manual). If you want to connect everything to the TV via HDMI your best option is a new receiver that will upconvert component video.

RESIma

All Replies
  • The Onkyo TX-SR604 will not convert any analog signal to HDMI (p.32 of the manual). If you want to connect everything to the TV via HDMI your best option is a new receiver that will upconvert component video.

RESIma

• Thanks.  I assume the "605 and/or the 607" model of Onkyo receiver would do what I am looking for, correct?

• Shumax

Thanks.  I assume the "605 and/or the 607" model of Onkyo receiver would do what I am looking for, correct?

Any of these Onkyo receivers will do the job. Here is a list of all the receivers that Crutchfield lists as having Component-to-HDMI upconversion. Lots to choose from at a variety of prices. I am a fan of Yamaha and NAD for my personal use. I've gotten good results with Denon and HK as well. I've never used Onkyo, but I know many people who have used them and had excellent results as well.

Quite a lot of options!

RESIma

• What about the TX-SR508?  It sounds like -- from the product description - that it will switch component to HDMI.  Am I correct?  Anything wrong with this one?  I can't imagine adding much more than a laptop and a blue ray player to my setup.  Thanks!

• Shumax

What about the TX-SR508?  It sounds like -- from the product description - that it will switch component to HDMI.  Am I correct?  Anything wrong with this one?  I can't imagine adding much more than a laptop and a blue ray player to my setup.  Thanks!

According to page 19 of the TX-SR508 Owners Manual it will not convert video formats.

RESIma

• This is becoming confusing.  Which Onkyo receiver WILL do what I want/need?  The 608?  Thank you!

• You are quite welcome.

Once again, any of these Onkyo receivers will do the job. Here is a list of all the receivers that Crutchfield lists as having Component-to-HDMI upconversion. Please follow the links.

The owners manuals for each receiver is also available in .pdf at Crutchfield. Look on the "What's in the box" section of the receiver info.

RESIma

• I ended up purchasing the TX-SR608.  I ordered it on a Saturday and it was on my doorstep on Wednesday.  As usual, packed well and in great shape. 

Being familar with Onkyo, I had it hooked up and ready to go in about 15min.  The difference in sound coming through my Polk speakers is noticable.  I was impressed!

Thanks again for the help!

[edited by: Shumax at 7:38 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Jan 21 2011]
  • Good choice. Glad to be of help.

RESIma