Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Add a Receiver or Amplifier to system? (question on ohms as well)

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Add a Receiver or Amplifier to system? (question on ohms as well)

This question is answered

This may be an involved question but would appreciate any opinion as I am just starting to build my audio in my house. My system is a mid level Yamaha receiver, two Vienna Acoustics Bach, Definitive Technologies center channel (8 ohms, powered subwoofer), two JBL bookshelf speakers (8 ohms), and a 12" Polk Audio powered subwoofer (8 ohms). His system is a Sony receiver and amplifier. When I had it hooked up to his system, the speakers sounded much better. As such, I was wondering if it would be more beneficial to get a higher quality receiver or add an amplifier to my system to get the best sound?

Also, my Definitive Technologies center channel speaker, PolkAudio subwoofer, and I believe my JBL book shelf are rated at 8 ohms whereas the Vienna Acoustics are rated at 4 ohms. Does this make a difference in the sound? Thanks in advance for any replys.

Verified Answer
  • I'm not familiar with the Vienna Acoustics Bach speakers, but from what I've read (and from your experience) they would benefit from a bit more power.

What is the model number of your receiver? You may be able to add a 2-channel amp just for the VAB's.

RESIma

All Replies
  • I'm not familiar with the Vienna Acoustics Bach speakers, but from what I've read (and from your experience) they would benefit from a bit more power.

What is the model number of your receiver? You may be able to add a 2-channel amp just for the VAB's.

RESIma

• IndyState
    Also, my Definitive Technologies center channel speaker, PolkAudio subwoofer, and I believe my JBL book shelf are rated at 8 ohms whereas the Vienna Acoustics are rated at 4 ohms. Does this make a difference in the sound? Thanks in advance for any replys.

Most amps or receivers will produce more power at 4-ohms, but if the speakers are also less efficient that might not make them louder.  It won't have an effect on the sound as long as the amp is stable at a 4-ohm load.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• A 4 ohm speaker will place higher demand on your receiver/amplifier, drawing more current.  You will definitely benefit more from an external amplifier.  Manufacturers typically use much larger power supplies in a power amplifier opposed to what a receiver has room for and with keeping to a certain price point.  If you listen to 2-channel music you can start with a nice stereo amplifier to drive the Vienna and run the center and rear from the receiver.  Or, if budget permits go with a 3 or 5 channel amplifier.  I would also suggest for optimum home theater to replace the Def Tech center with a matching Vienna Acoustic center if one exists.  I'm assuming since you asked this question and have a Yamaha receiver you have the required preamp outputs for this project?

• Thanks everyone for your help. Decided that I am going to purchase an amplifier for the 4ohm speakers. On that note, I have a couple options:

1. Russound R290DS Amo : 2 Channel, 110 Watts at 4ohms http://www.crutchfield.com/p_543R290DS/Russound-R290DS.html?tp=180

2. Niles SI 2125 Amp : 2 Channel, 200 Watts at 4 ohms http://www.crutchfield.com/s_190SI2125/Niles-SI-2125.html?tp=7330

3. B&K AV 5000 Series 1 Amp : 5 Channels, 125 Watts at 4 ohms, my friend is selling this and has used this for the past 10 years. All channels work and it appears to be in good operating condition. He is asking $200.

Any suggestions on which you would select? If the B&K Amp, should I be concerned with the age? Even though my receiver does not have 4 ohm output, is it ok to power a 4 ohm amplifier?

• IndyState

Thanks everyone for your help. Decided that I am going to purchase an amplifier for the 4ohm speakers. On that note, I have a couple options:

1. Russound R290DS Amo : 2 Channel, 110 Watts at 4ohms http://www.crutchfield.com/p_543R290DS/Russound-R290DS.html?tp=180

2. Niles SI 2125 Amp : 2 Channel, 200 Watts at 4 ohms http://www.crutchfield.com/s_190SI2125/Niles-SI-2125.html?tp=7330

3. B&K AV 5000 Series 1 Amp : 5 Channels, 125 Watts at 4 ohms, my friend is selling this and has used this for the past 10 years. All channels work and it appears to be in good operating condition. He is asking $200.

Any suggestions on which you would select? If the B&K Amp, should I be concerned with the age? Even though my receiver does not have 4 ohm output, is it ok to power a 4 ohm amplifier?

I  would have no qualms about buying a used B&K that has been taken care of. The AV 5000 is an excellent amplifier, and $200.00 is a good price. I believe the AV 5000 is rated at 185 WPC into four ohms so there will be plenty of power. It has the added benefit of additional channels should you decide to use them.

The B&K AV 5000 does tend to run hot, so make sure you have adequate air circulation around the amp.

The others are good amps as well, with the benefit of a warranty, but at $200 the used B&K would be my choice of the three.

RESIma