Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Can I Hook Up A Car Amp To House Speakers? Help Please....

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Can I Hook Up A Car Amp To House Speakers? Help Please....

• Hey, I have two MTX TP112 8 ohm speakers. ( http://www.djfelixentertainment.com/SPEAKERS.htm (FIRST ONE) The receiver I have hooked up now only puts out 100 watts max to 5 channels and 150 watts max to the subwoofer channel for a total of 650 watts. The TP112's are 150 watts RMS and 300 Watts Max.

A friend is giving me an amp and I think its 400 watts to either 1 or 2 channels. To get to the point I was wondering if I could hook up the speakers like in this diagram (if a two channel amp) or like in this diagram (if it is a mono amp) to drop it to a 4 ohm load so it matches the amp or is there a better way to do it so that both speakers will still work as a left and a right? If i left out something or something isn't clear then leave a message and I will try to explain what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks!

• You can do it, you probably don't want to do it the way you have it shown.

First is that amp rating RMS or Peak (and at what impedance).   I'm assuming it is RMS, but you never know so it's safer to ask.

If the amp is two-channel RMS and you wire it up like diagram 1, the amp will produce 800Wx1@4-ohms (typically), each sub will get 400W RMS, they are rated for 150W RMS and 300W max and will melt or burn up before your eyes (well not that dramatic, but you get the picture).  If it is 400W mono, that is likely at 2-ohms, and wiring it up like that it will probably produce 200W@4-ohms or about 100W to each speaker, or the same as your current receiver.

If the amp is 400Wx1@4-ohms, then you can wire it like you show and get 200W per speaker, which is more than their RMS, but probably the best you can do.

If the amp is 400Wx2@4-ohms, you can likely just connect the speakers to it and it will output 200Wx2@8-ohms and each speaker will get 200W.

Other concerns - you will need a pretty good DC power supply to run the amp - a good PC power supply should work, but you will probably spend $50-$100 on one.

How are you going to get signal to the amp?  If you said you had a tuner, you could use the RCA jacks, or with a tape deck you could do that also, but not both without plugging and unplugging cables when you change sources.

How do you plan to adjust the volume?

HTH!!! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I think it is a 400 watt max 2 channel amp. So would wiring each 8 ohm speaker to each channel produce a safe 200 watts max to each speaker?

Also I have a old dell laptop charger, would that work for the dc supply if i strip the wires and wire the positive and negative up or would I have better luck with a car battery charger to each + and - post?

As for the signal I would most likely go with high level inputs from the receiver to the amp and use the front and left speaker wires.

The volume would turn up and down like a regular car system. If the volume on the receiver is turned up, the speaker power is increased coming from the car amp. 

I know a little bit about this stuff but not everything. If theres any way of killing these things tell me because I just got them and they were 250 bucks and I hope to have them for a while.

Thanks, any further assistance is appreciated.

• Okay - first off, I think it's a crazy idea.  Your amp produces 100W RMS, your speakers are rated for 150W RMS, you're going to maybe get ideally 200W RMS from this oddball config.  You asked if it was doable, and it probably is, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. 

jpen2008:
    I think it is a 400 watt max 2 channel amp. So would wiring each 8 ohm speaker to each channel produce a safe 200 watts max to each speaker?

It should, but the max rating doesn't matter.  If the amp is 400 W max right now, it is probably say 75 or 100W RMS x 2 at 4-ohms, which means it  would be 37-50W RMS at 8-ohms or less than your current receiver.   

Also I have a old dell laptop charger, would that work for the dc supply if i strip the wires and wire the positive and negative up or would I have better luck with a car battery charger to each + and - post?

I didn't say charger - I said power supply.  I charger just gives a trickle current to keep the battery from dying.  Look for a 450-500W computer PS.  I mentioned on in a thread for X21. Actually, he needed a $25 630-watt PS for a 50Wx2 amp, so I'm not sure you can even do what you need with that.

As for the signal I would most likely go with high level inputs from the receiver to the amp and use the front and left speaker wires.

The volume would turn up and down like a regular car system. If the volume on the receiver is turned up, the speaker power is increased coming from the car amp.

Not sure you can do that at all - the speaker level inputs on the amp are designed for a car stereo HU putting out 2-15 W RMS at 4-ohms.  Hooking them up to a home receiver putting out 100W RMS at 8-ohms or likely 200W RMS at 4-ohms sounds like it could be a very bad idea. 

I know a little bit about this stuff but not everything. If theres any way of killing these things tell me because I just got them and they were 250 bucks and I hope to have them for a while.

Like I said - I'm not crazy about the idea and you seem like you know just enough about it to burn them up (or worse) (no offense intended). 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

i understand what you are trying to do...trust me-i have done it in the past and made everything work...for a little while anyway.....but in the end all you will have is possiably an amp WITHOUT its "magic smoke" and a whole of frustration.....

it is possiable to make it work but IT IS NOT WORTH IT!

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • K, Thanks guys. So what do you reccomend to power these two MTX TP112 that run 150rms 300watts max. Is there anything cheap out there to get? There almost like PA speakers they have a low (12" sub) and high (tweeter) but know mid range. I just want to get some more bass in my room. Thanks again for the help.
  • I'm thinking you might do better with a powered sub instead of a bigger amp for those speakers, but I'm more into the car audio side of the house, so can't really recommend anything specific to you.