Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Regular coaxial cable vs. subwoofer cable

Home Audio

Home  Audio
Share thoughts on audio components, whole-house systems, cables, and speakers

Regular coaxial cable vs. subwoofer cable

• My house was pre wired for surround sound by a company that's been in business for less than 5 years. I called the company to complain because I paid to have them install a subwoofer cable for a sub, which I have not bought yet, however, instead they installed a regular coaxial cable. In other words, it is the same type of coaxial cable that I use for receiving cable tv from Time Warner Cable. This home theater company I complained to told me to buy an adapter (RCA type) for each end of the coaxial cabe, this way one end will plug into the receiever and the other end will plug into the sub itself. Will this work and will I get the same sound quality vs. using a true subwoofer cable?
  • It sounds like you've got problems . . .

However, the center wire in coax cable if very thin - I am guessing 28-32 AWG.

I have my doubts that it would work, but haven't tried it and could be wrong . . .

[edited by: TigerHeli at 11:47 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 16 2007]

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Well these guys say it should work, however, I'm still shopping around for a sub at a decent price so I can't say I've tried it.  I just thought by posting this issue, maybe someone out there has tried using a coaxial cable in place of a sub cable.   
  • A coaxial cable for an inwall (or long run) subwoofer cable is a fairly common solution and I've heard no reports of any inadequacy in handling the sub signal. Should be just fine with the right connectors.

Don
    Community Manager

• It will definitely work. I have used coaxial (RG-6) cable for long runs for component video with absolutely no ill effects.

Shawn

• So you're saying I can use the coaxial cable to make a direct connection or do i have to add a subwoofer cable to the existing coaxial?  Maybe I confused myself?  I plan on getting the RCA connectors for each end of of the coaxial as mentioned earlier, is this right?

[edited by: Audio5oh at 3:02 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 16 2007]
  • You are correct: the connectors should attach to either end of the cable and the cable then connects directly to the subwoofer and receiver. I've not done this myself and don't entirely know what's involved with adapting the cable to the connection. Maybe Shawn can help.

[edited by: Don at 4:01 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 16 2007]

Don
    Community Manager

• I think you need these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103580&cp

Don't know if Crutchfield sells similar.  I don't think it matters if you plug these into the wall outlets and use a RCA patch cable to go to the subwoofer/receiver, or use a cable TV coax cable, and plug these into the end of it just before the stereo component.  It would probably be cheaper and cleaner to use the TV-style cables.

[edited by: Don at 1:20 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Nov 12 2007]

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• The cable will need to be terminated with RCA connectors on some way or another and I can think of two possible ways to do this.

The simplest way is to terminate the cable with RCA connections. For this you need two parts.

1. F Connectors - You will need two of them, one for each end of the cable
    2. F to RCA adapters. - Again you need two of them

The F Connectors get attached (crimped) to each end of the cable and the F to RCA adapters are then screwed on. Now you have an RCA cable that can be plugged into the receiver and the subwoofer.

If the cable that they installed comes out of the wall in a fairly large opening, you may want to go with a wall plate at each end. For this you will need the following parts.

1. F Connectors - You will need two of them, one for each end of the cable
    2. Wallplates - You will need two of these. They have an F connection on the back with a female RCA connection on the front. The ones we carry have three available connections. It is possible to get these at hardware stores if you don't want any unused jacks.
    3. RCA Cable - You need two of these. One from the receiver to one wall plate and one from the other wall plate to the subwoofer.

The F Connectors get attached (crimped) to each end of the cable. Each end of the cable is connected to the back of each wall plate and the wall plate is mounted. The RCA cables connect the wall plates to the receiver and subwoofer.

If aesthetics are a concern, then I would go with the second option. If everything is going to be well hidden, then go with the first option.

Shawn

• Yes, that "F" connector plug from Radio Shack is what I'm looking for.  Thanks for the quick responses.
  • I assumed that the pre-wire ended with a wall plate with an F-connector in the middle.

The adapter is cheaper at Crutchfield than Radio Shack, if you are buying anything else and can save on shipping.

• Hi,

I have used Monster Cable RG6 Coax for a Velodyne Powered Sub Woofer, and it works great! No signal noise or loss on long runs. You can get EFX RCA Ends that you can Solder on the ends of your cable, or use the Coax to RCA adapters.

Enjoy your system!! 

• Shawn - your information is correct, but if Audio5oh has never crimped Coax cable before and doesn't have the proper crimping tools, it will be much easier for him to use RCA patch cables or TV (F-connector) extension cables (like from a cable box to the TV or VCR to TV) with those adapters, rather than trying to custom build cables and crimp on his own connectors.

• Can you use both types of cable to connect the subwoofer.  What I mean is use the coaxial to run through the walls and use the subwoofer cable to plug into the wall jacks?

• I would think you could.