Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Toshiba or Sony/Samsung ?

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

Toshiba or Sony/Samsung ?

• Having read over this forum for a while I'm hoping for some input. 

We are looking for a 46in LCD 60hz and have narrowed the choice down to Toshiba, Sony or Samsung. Looked at all three in Best Buy and BJ's.The only downside of the Samsung seems to be the clear screenand the glare. I can find comparisons between the Sony and the Samsung but none with the Toshiba. We have a Toshiba 37in that we have had no problems with (except for a darker "cloudy area" only visible when the screen is gray). It seems that someone, somewhere has found some problem with each manufacturer. Is there any reason to disqualify any of these?

Thanks.

[edited by: tchads at 9:15 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Feb 24 2009]
  • I have owned two Tohibia TV's, my Current Samsung DLP and a Samsung 24" LCD (used as my computer moniter)  I have never had any problems with any of these TV's and still recommend all of these brands based on peoples requirements and needs.  If you like any one of these TV's more than the other, I would not hessitate to purchase it. 

To me, all three of those brands are highly reputible. 

As an aside here...  People love to complain when something goes wrong.  I do it, we all do it..  This is why it is so easy to find all of the problem reports about EVERYTHING on the internet.  Because somwhere along the way, something will go wrong.  It's very hard to find reports where people are praising gear.  Because when people are happy, they don't need to share that...  Just a random bit not related to your question.

Currently working on my MBA program.  I hope to return sometime in December 2010. 

• The glare will actually depend on the room lighting and where you put it. So you could find that you have the same problem or not with all of them.

In my opinion, Sony is way over-priced for what it is. I think the picture is far more clear on the Samsungs compared to the Sonys, at least from what I have seen when I went researching and shopping. That's my opinion though from my eyes which I wouldn't give two cents for. (I have bad eyes).

Onkyo SR705 Onkyo DX-C390 Sony PX-LS520 Kenwood KX-5530 Kenwood JL-690 main spkrs Polk CS-1 center spkr KLH 911B surround spkrs Sony SLV-N88 VCR Samsung LN40A530 Panamax 5300EX Denon 1940ci DVD plyr
  • srothfuss:
    As an aside here...  People love to complain when something goes wrong.  I do it, we all do it..  This is why it is so easy to find all of the problem reports about EVERYTHING on the internet.  Because somwhere along the way, something will go wrong.  It's very hard to find reports where people are praising gear.  Because when people are happy, they don't need to share that...  Just a random bit not related to your question.
    AMEN!!!
  • Thanks, that's the input I was looking for. One of the minor things that I don't like is that Sony remotes are "universal" but seem to work only with Sony products. A little thing I know, but one more remote to find. I have friends who swear by Sony and some who swear at Sony.

We'll have to look again at the glare off the Samsung to see if it's really an issue. The TV will be in a basement with flourescent lights in the ceiling.

The reason we bought the Toshiba is that our first Toshiba CRT TV lasted almost 20 years with no service. Also, I could probably program the Toshiba remote to open the garage door if needed. It works with just about everything.

Thanks again and I'll post when we decide.

• I've owned Sony remotes that had no problem controlling other components.  They will come out of the box programmed for Sony components, which is typical for most manufacturers.
  • tchads:

Thanks, that's the input I was looking for. One of the minor things that I don't like is that Sony remotes are "universal" but seem to work only with Sony products. A little thing I know, but one more remote to find. I have friends who swear by Sony and some who swear at Sony.

We'll have to look again at the glare off the Samsung to see if it's really an issue. The TV will be in a basement with flourescent lights in the ceiling.

The reason we bought the Toshiba is that our first Toshiba CRT TV lasted almost 20 years with no service. Also, I could probably program the Toshiba remote to open the garage door if needed. It works with just about everything.

Thanks again and I'll post when we decide.

Hmm, the flourescent lights "might" (and that's a big "might") be an issue depending on where they are relative to where the TV is. If you have a 7 foot ceiling there should not be a problem at all, especially when the TV is on. LCD TVs can handle brighter lit rooms better then Plasmas. Remember the glare or reflections you might see in the TV at the store are an entirely different situation then you would have at home. (At home you don't have lighted signs in the line of sight of the TV and such).

Yes, CRT TVs in my opinion are still better then any of the new LCDs and Plasmas and the like out there today. My old Zenith has run fine for almost 20 years as well with no service and still going. Although it is now showing a bit of age, but it's still good. The only reason I got a new 40 inch Samsung LCD is so I could get off the grid of cable garbage. (To me satellite, Direct TV etc. is all the same). Other than that I would prefer to stick with my old TV. I am sure my new Samsung will be nice and all when I get it set up, but I'm old school and I also like the longevity of the old CRT TVs as opposed to the short lifespan or acute sensitivity of the new TVs today.

Onkyo SR705 Onkyo DX-C390 Sony PX-LS520 Kenwood KX-5530 Kenwood JL-690 main spkrs Polk CS-1 center spkr KLH 911B surround spkrs Sony SLV-N88 VCR Samsung LN40A530 Panamax 5300EX Denon 1940ci DVD plyr
  • We purchased a 46" Toshiba LCD (46RV535U) this weekend (sorry CF - local retailer was having a sale). After comparing different models and different features for 2 weeks I couldn't justify a Sony for the extra $$. We hope to have the same level of satisfaction with this Toshiba as we have had in the past. Thanks to CF as their website is, without a doubt, the best place to get info and compare the different brands.

One thing the salesman did say (while trying to steer us to a Samsung) is that Toshiba is getting out of the TV business. Any truth in that?

• tchads:

We purchased a 46" Toshiba LCD (46RV535U) this weekend (sorry CF - local retailer was having a sale). After comparing different models and different features for 2 weeks I couldn't justify a Sony for the extra $$. We hope to have the same level of satisfaction with this Toshiba as we have had in the past. Thanks to CF as their website is, without a doubt, the best place to get info and compare the different brands.

One thing the salesman did say (while trying to steer us to a Samsung) is that Toshiba is getting out of the TV business. Any truth in that?

Hmm, I find it interesting that the salesman was trying to steer you towards a Samsung. His motive was probably because it was not on sale and might have been $100 or $200 more. The irony is that Samsung TVs are super performers. I've seen loads of praise for the Sammies. In fact after reading endless reviews and endless hours comparing TVs I decided on a Samsung myself. Samsung can't make a good cell phone or fridge, but they have TVs down solid.

As for Toshiba getting out of the TV business, I'm not so sure. I have not heard anything official. I know they are struggling, but who isn't? For now I just think it was dirty sales tatics on the part of the salesman, a last attempt to chat you into a Samsung or anything else not on sale. I would not be surprised if he tried to sell you a $120 HDMI cable and a $300 TV calibration service. (Both are not needed) All salesmen are alike.

• I generally have the same feeling towards salesman, though this one was better than most. Asked once if I had the cables needed, no mention of callibration, and opened the box before we left the store (a CYA thing I'm sure). We looked at the Sammies, but felt there was too much glare off the screen.

Was in another retailer early one morning (only person in the store) and it was like I was leading a conga line. Salesmen everywhere and I was the only commission in sight.

• You should have called CF 1st!   Just purchased Toshiba Cinema 46XV545U ,120Hz, wide-range florecent LCD backlighting,(same as the new 240Hz Sony XBR uses) plus free shipping, no tax, and they threw in a $100 mounting bracket. Now the really tough part....$1149 and Cruthfield service!

• That's a great deal. I was still out the door for about $150 less and I don't think CF had that price when I was looking. I still look on CF for a possible home theater system to add to the TV. So far no complaints, probably should have gone with the 120hz for when (if) we get the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player. Maybe I'll have to trade up! :-)

[edited by: tchads at 3:59 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Apr 06 2009]
  • I've owned several Toshiba products over the past decade and they've all been very reliable and good quality.  

Samsung tvs look great but I think they give a false impression of their picture quality by having higher contrast.  Colors look more vivid, blacks appear  darker, a great image regardless, but contrast among darker shades/shadows becomes less visible.  I went with a Sony because they appear to have more accurate color representations.

I can't speak in terms of quality for Samsung, but all 3 manufacturers make great looking screens. It comes down to subtle differences in my opinion and which one you ultimately think looks better to you.  Personally, I stay away from any tv with that lame high-glossy shiny black plastic. 

• The reason we finally went with Toshiba was the reliability. Having owned Toshiba TVs for almost 20 years and never had any servicing issues was the deciding factor.
  • jimmyboy:

You should have called CF 1st!   Just purchased Toshiba Cinema 46XV545U ,120Hz, wide-range florecent LCD backlighting,(same as the new 240Hz Sony XBR uses) plus free shipping, no tax, and they threw in a $100 mounting bracket. Now the really tough part....$1149 and Cruthfield service!

You got a free wall mount? I tried like hell to get a deal like that with a Sony LCD and they kept saying no. What gives?