60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Auto sound leveling between tv programming and commercials

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

Auto sound leveling between tv programming and commercials

This question is answered

Two years ago when I bought my Sony 46" LCD I was careful to select a TV with automatic volume control to minimize loud annoying commercials.  However, I didn't think to check for that feature on the Sony Home Theater system I purchased to mate up with the TV.  Nor did I think running the Cablevision signal through the digital cable box would impact that feature on the TV.  I have loud commercials.  So I watch TV with the remote in one hand like the rest of us probably do.

I'm in the market for an additional big screen and want to get that auto volume leveling feature if I can.

Some TVs list it as a feature on their sets.  There are inline gadgets that also claim to address the issue of loud commercials.  But I've read negative internet chats and posts about their effectiveness.

Can anyone recommend a solution?  A TV with sound leveling that really works?  An inline gadget?  A Home Theater System?  All of the above? 

TV broadcasters and signal providers have worn out my patience with those loud commercials that seem to have gotten louder, and more frequent. 

If I were in the TV manufacturing business I'd make loud commercials a thing of the past on my equipment, and probably be met with instant sales success, even if my name was Acme.  And if I were Sony, Samsung, or one of the other biggies, I'd own the market until the others followed my lead.

Can anyone help me with an equipment suggestion?

thanks

Dutch60

Verified Answer
  • This is a common complaint and a pet peeve of my very own. The problem is, depending on your specific system setup, a different solution may be required.

Unfortunately, with a digital connection to a HT system that does not offer the volume control feature, there isn’t much you can do. I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you there.

If you’re willing to sacrifice the digital connection in favor of analog stereo RCA cables, you could use the Terk VR-1 volume regulator. This adapter connects in-line to the RCA cables between the source (cable box) and the receiver (Sony HT system) and provides a consistent volume level during commercial breaks or when switching between channels. This device can also be used between the source and the television when using the built-in speakers on the TV.

If you do want the digital connection between the cable box and a receiver, I recommend selecting a receiver model that offers Audyssey Dynamic Volume control. This feature is available on most Denon receivers and is described as follows:

Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are clearly heard. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality.  

This feature works with all connected sources both analog and digital. This means you’ll get consistent volume from your TV channels, DVD movies, Blu-ray movies, CDs, etc.

While some television models offer a similar capability, the feature is only active when using the set’s built-in tuners. If you have an external cable or satellite box, this capability goes to waste.

I hope that helps.

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

All Replies
  • This is a common complaint and a pet peeve of my very own. The problem is, depending on your specific system setup, a different solution may be required.

Unfortunately, with a digital connection to a HT system that does not offer the volume control feature, there isn’t much you can do. I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you there.

If you’re willing to sacrifice the digital connection in favor of analog stereo RCA cables, you could use the Terk VR-1 volume regulator. This adapter connects in-line to the RCA cables between the source (cable box) and the receiver (Sony HT system) and provides a consistent volume level during commercial breaks or when switching between channels. This device can also be used between the source and the television when using the built-in speakers on the TV.

If you do want the digital connection between the cable box and a receiver, I recommend selecting a receiver model that offers Audyssey Dynamic Volume control. This feature is available on most Denon receivers and is described as follows:

Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are clearly heard. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality.  

This feature works with all connected sources both analog and digital. This means you’ll get consistent volume from your TV channels, DVD movies, Blu-ray movies, CDs, etc.

While some television models offer a similar capability, the feature is only active when using the set’s built-in tuners. If you have an external cable or satellite box, this capability goes to waste.

I hope that helps.

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• I understand there is a device called TV Muffler that substitutes your music for the commercials obnoxious blare. It's on amazon.

• There was a law passed at the end of last year to regulate this - The TV Muffler requires you to press a button when the commercial starts to activate it - you could do the same thing with the mute button on your remote control (except that it does turn on your music player in the mean time).

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Yeah, we all know about the law and how it won't be enforced too. The mute button gives you silence, the TV Muffler gives you entertainment. Here's a quote from the web site. Naturally, I agree. Maybe this will get a discussion going.

Ever since the first TV commercial broadcast in the 1940's inventors have been trying to design a device that automatically eliminates advertisements. Well it's about 70 years later and still nothing really works. With the TV MUFFLER you just push a button on your remote control to switch between the normal audio and whatever you have selected as an alternate audio source. Do that when the commercial comes on and again to return to the programs audio when the commercial is over. Just a common sense solution that works 100% of the time.

• SRS Truvolume available on some Vizio and Samsung.