Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

What causes white dots all over DLP screen?

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

What causes white dots all over DLP screen?

This question is answered

I have a 65" Toshiba DLP TV  65HM167  Series 35123957

About a month or so ago the tv developed 1 or 2 white dots on the right side of the screen.  The 2 dots have turned into 30+ dots all over the screen.  The TV is just over 2 years old.  I bought a 2 year extended warrany however when I tried to make claim the warranty people said the warranty started the day I purchased the TV - not after the original MFG warranty expired. 

Is this a light engine failing?  How much does a light engine cost?  Can a tech savvy person handle this type of repair?

Verified Answer
  • The problem you describe is caused by a failure of the Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) board, or more specifically, the DMV chip that is mounted on the board. The chip contains millions of tiny mirrors that reflect light and produce the image on the screen. When one of these mirrors gets stuck, the pixel or pixels associated with it appears as a white or black dot on the screen.

The only solution is to replace the faulty part, which typically costs at least $300.

I'd contact Toshiba and see if they will cover the cost of replacement/repair. If not, I'd consider a different technology rather than spending money to replace a component that may well fail again in a couple of years.

RESIma

All Replies
  • The problem you describe is caused by a failure of the Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) board, or more specifically, the DMV chip that is mounted on the board. The chip contains millions of tiny mirrors that reflect light and produce the image on the screen. When one of these mirrors gets stuck, the pixel or pixels associated with it appears as a white or black dot on the screen.

The only solution is to replace the faulty part, which typically costs at least $300.

I'd contact Toshiba and see if they will cover the cost of replacement/repair. If not, I'd consider a different technology rather than spending money to replace a component that may well fail again in a couple of years.

RESIma

• It's amazing .... It's the mirrors .....

(Sorry, back to my usual helpfulness, I hope!!)

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Sandee,

I have the same model tv, what did you do?

Kennyacc

• TigerHeli

It's amazing .... It's the mirrors .....

(Sorry, back to my usual helpfulness, I hope!!)

Yep, it's all done with mirrors...with any luck not smoke and mirrors...that would be bad.

RESIma

• But the TV has to have "magic smoke" inside or it won't work.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli

But the TV has to have "magic smoke" inside or it won't work.

That's true. But you can't keep letting the general public in on that or they'll revoke you membership to the Secret Society of Electronic Wizardry. They may even take back the decoder ring.

RESIma

• I actually think it's all millions of miniature mice running on treadmills like in "The Flintstones" and the magic smoke was just a cover story - DRATS, another secret revealed ....

Now, I've noticed a tendency for this programme to get rather silly. Now I do my best to keep things moving along, but I'm not having things getting silly. Those two last sketches I did got very silly indeed, and that last one about the bed was even sillier. Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do... except perhaps my wife and some of her friends... oh yes and Captain Johnston. Come to think of it most people like a good laugh more than I do. But that's beside the point. Now, let's have a good clean healthy outdoor sketch. Get some air into your lungs. Ten, nine, eight and all that. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0650973/quotes

[edited by: TigerHeli at 4:36 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Jan 29 2011]

• Yep, we have a Toshiba and it started off with 3 white dots and now we have about 20 of them and I found out that it's the DMV Chip a Digital Micromirror Device. Now my next step is to contact Toshiba and ask them what they are going to do about it because I hear it's a problem and one that they are aware of.

• Good answers :)

[edited by: TigerHeli at 10:27 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jun 26 2012] http://wort-synonym.com
  •  

I would suggest if you are concerned about it your first call should be to the retailer. Outline your concerns and try and get something in writing to prove you brought it to their attention within 12 months of purchase. They may point you to a dead/bright pixel clause in the sales agreement or warranty, but if it really bugs you it may not 'be suitable for the purpose it was purchased for'.

• i threw mine away and bought a LG plasma.

• how can the white dots be cleared from tv

• Funny, my problem started the week before Thanksgiving. Did i go shopping black friday or cyber monday? NO, decided to goggle the problem the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and found out I should have went shoppping last week. The five year warranty has just ran out on my 57 inch toshiba in may. The conclusion from the answers I am getting either give/throw it away and pray for another sale to come your way.

• I am in the same boat with white dots on my HL67A750 TV.  You can get a service manual here www.tradebit.com/.../133052760-samsung-hl61a750a1f-hl67a750a1f-dlp-tv-service-manual

For $12.99.

You can buy the chip at Amazon here. www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1. For $159.

I only have 4 dots now, but if it gets worse i will get the manual and the chip as I described above.  Best of luck.

• Video showing how to replace the DMD Chip in your Samsung DLP TV.  

m.youtube.com