60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Proximity of wall speakers to LED screen

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems
TVs

Proximity of wall speakers to LED screen

This question is answered

I have a 46" Samsung LED in my small living room. I want to mount two Bose 301 series speakers to the wall for use with my stereo receiver. These speakers will not be used with the TV or any other video device. Since I am very limited for wall space I'd like to mount the speakers about one foot from the top of either side of the TV screen. I have heard the speaker magnets can be harmful to TV screens. Is this an issue if the TV will not be on while the speakers are in use? Do the magnets affect LED screens?

Verified Answer
  • Mount them as close as you like. Speaker magnets will have no effect whatsoever on your LED TV.

Older CRT TV's were affected by magnets because they essentially "fired" electrons from the back of the tube to the screen at the front of the tube to produce a picture. Speaker magnets produce magnetic fields (of course) that can disrupt the flow of electrons within the tube and cause distortion. This is an oversimplification, but you get the idea.

LED, LCD, and plasma TV's use entirely different technology and are unaffected by magnets near the screen.

RESIma

All Replies
  • Mount them as close as you like. Speaker magnets will have no effect whatsoever on your LED TV.

Older CRT TV's were affected by magnets because they essentially "fired" electrons from the back of the tube to the screen at the front of the tube to produce a picture. Speaker magnets produce magnetic fields (of course) that can disrupt the flow of electrons within the tube and cause distortion. This is an oversimplification, but you get the idea.

LED, LCD, and plasma TV's use entirely different technology and are unaffected by magnets near the screen.

RESIma

• Thanks for your help.

• You're quite welcome.

RESIma

• I agree with Alex W, but just to cover the other part of your question.

Speaker magnets WILL affect a CRT screen whether the TV is on or off.  I've had CRT screens die that had "shielded" computer speakers placed next to them, so I stopped placing the speakers on the same shelf as the CRT monitor.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hmmm. If there was no visible evidence that the speakers were interfering with the TV I would suspect that the CRT's failed for another reason. Really strong magnetic fields can damage a CRT's ferrous shadow mask, which degaussing won't fix, but such a situation would be obvious when viewing the monitor.

RESIma

• I tend to have weird electronic problems, but ....

One monitor failed after two years where I usually get 5-6 years out of them (that sounds silly, but ....)

One monitor was a large screen and the most covenient place to put the speakers was on the same stand it was on, behind the screen where the yoke necked down.  The screen looked fine and then the screen image started collapsing inward away from the speakers.

Doesn't seem coincidental - and since I moved the speakers I haven't had any issues (other than normal deaths ...).

FWIW ...

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli

The screen looked fine and then the screen image started collapsing inward away from the speakers.

FWIW ...

That type of CRT failure is a result of a failure of the flyback transformer. It usually happens when the insulation on the windings deteriorates due to heat build-up caused by an accumulation of  dust, insufficient air circulation, or just poor design. When the flyback fails it usually takes other components with it so the monitor is often scrap.

Vertical collapse of the picture (foldover) is cause by failing capacitors.

Magnetic fields won't cause either of these conditions, but the visible distortion they do cause can be permanent if the shadow mask becomes magnetized. If the speakers blocked the air circulation to the flyback transformer then that could have contributed to the failure.

If you are still using CRT's, blow the dust out of them once in a while and make sure they are getting enough air circulation.

RESIma

• Thanks Alex - looks like I wrongly blamed the speakers for no reason.

Remember - I also had CD drives die about every 6-12 months until I installed a UPS - although that should be unrelated also ....Devil

• TigerHeli

Thanks Alex - looks like I wrongly blamed the speakers for no reason.

Remember - I also had CD drives die about every 6-12 months until I installed a UPS - although that should be unrelated also ....Devil

Not at all. UPS actually stands for Universal Poltergeist Suppressor. They don't write it on the box because it freaks some people out.

RESIma