Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

connect DVD/VHS player to HDTV to record TV shows

TVs & Video Components

TVs & Video Components
Talk about TVs, Blu-ray players, and home theater systems

connect DVD/VHS player to HDTV to record TV shows

This question is answered

I have an old Panasonic DMR ES30V DVD/VHS recorder  that I want to connect to my  new Samsung LED LCD HDTV.  I switched out the old composite cables to new component (since no HDMI on DVD recorder).  I have standard cable TV, no box, no HD and want to record TV shows as well as play DVD movies.

My set-up does not work, and I am not sure if its how I set things up, if its old cables, remote not programmed , or if its my old DVD recorder.  I can watch TV channels.  I can watch DVD movies. I can even record a TV show. I just cannot record a TV show while watching another TV channel. (like I used to on my old analog TV).  What I have to work with is not complicated: cable TV goes through DVD recorder first, then another TV cable connects from DVD to TV, both are connected with component cables.

I'm sure this is a simple error, I just can't see it....  Any ideas for me?  thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Yep - simple error ...

I'm still so old school that I think in terms of F-terminal coax cable, but look at it this way:

• Coax cable from wall to VCR and Coax cable from VCR to TV.  The TV will not be able to watch anything unless it is tuned to channel 3 (or pass-through on the VCR with it off), so you have the situation you described.
    • Coax cable from wall to splitter and splitter output to TV and to VCR.  Each item can tune separately, but you would need composite or component cables to go from the VCR to the TV when you want to use it or it's tuner.

You'll have to figure out what connections you have available, but basically you want to end up with an ANTENNA (or CABLE) source on the tv and a VCR source on the TV.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Yep - simple error ...

I'm still so old school that I think in terms of F-terminal coax cable, but look at it this way:

• Coax cable from wall to VCR and Coax cable from VCR to TV.  The TV will not be able to watch anything unless it is tuned to channel 3 (or pass-through on the VCR with it off), so you have the situation you described.
    • Coax cable from wall to splitter and splitter output to TV and to VCR.  Each item can tune separately, but you would need composite or component cables to go from the VCR to the TV when you want to use it or it's tuner.

You'll have to figure out what connections you have available, but basically you want to end up with an ANTENNA (or CABLE) source on the tv and a VCR source on the TV.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli:

Thanks so much for your reply. I was about to write again and explain that I can only watch the DVD if the TV is on channel 3, and if the DVD player is on, I cannot watch any TV on other channels.  I set up my new TV exactly (I think) the same way as it was before with an old analog TV.  So why did it work before on the old set-up but not this time?  Is it because before I had composite cables, whereas now I'm using component? (or is that a dumb question...hmmm).

Well, I'm off to get a splitter and switch things around...  :)  Thanks again for the input.

•  

I think you might be confusing co-ax, composite, and component.

Co-ax is what the older VCR/TV's used to use:

Many VCR's would "pass-through" this connection, so you could select channels on the TV even when the VCR was off.

Composite is a yellow RCA plug and component are Red, Blue, and Green RCA plugs:

These typically did not allow pass through connections (at least of the whole channel spectrum) which I think was your problem.

Hope This Helps!!!