Nikon digicam issue

Cameras & Camcorders

Cameras & Camcorders
Share photo and video tips, discuss the latest gear and accessories

Nikon digicam issue

• i have an older 4megapixel point and shoot nikon digital camera, it uses an sd card, i forgot what the model number is. when the sd card is inserted the camera will not turn on, but when i take out the sd card the camera turns on. weird. i tried using different brands of sd cards, to no avail. i'm currently using a sandisk sd card, it came in with the camera. i was wondering if there is reset procedure on nikon digital cameras without going through the menu, like pressing buttons in a sequence or something, or is my cam screwed up?

leaving it without batteries do no good as a reset, help...

• Is this a card that previously worked with the camera?

Many older cameras will not support more than a 1GB SD card, if that much, but without the model number, I'm just guessing here.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Can, or have you tried using a different SD card with the same results?  That discription sounds like the SD card is fried...

An interesting note about flash memory...  everytime you save and erase something from any flash drive, the amount of room remaining [available to save to] shrinks a tiny bit.  That is why flash memory has a certain life expectancy. 

Currently working on my MBA program.  I hope to return sometime in December 2010. 

• srothfuss:
    An interesting note about flash memory...  everytime you save and erase something from any flash drive, the amount of room remaining [available to save to] shrinks a tiny bit.  That is why flash memory has a certain life expectancy. 

That is true of CD-RW discs - I don't think it is true of flash memory - at least not if you copy everything off the disc and reformat.  The memory does have a limited number of write cycles (in the tens of thousands, I think, but still ...).

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• @tigerheli
    yes this card worked before, and still works when i power on the cam without it inserted and just slide it back in when the camera is on.

@srothfuss
    yep tried using different sd cards to no avail

dang it, i forgot the model number of the camera again, lol

• It's sounding more like a problem with the camera itself, then.

• i was afraid you were gonna say that... but that's what i thought of as well when i tried different sd cards.

i'm going to get a new d40 anyway so i think i'll fiddle with it a little... before i send it out to a technician. lol.Big Smile

thanks a many for the replies...

[edited by: Salabadjuk at 6:24 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Feb 23 2009]