Digital Camera

• Just looking for input on a good camera- using just for home pics-
  • I’m sure everyone has their own opinion on this subject. Based on your minimal requirements, I imagine you’ll get recommendations from across the spectrum.

For my two cents, I like the Sony Cyber-Shot cameras for simple “point and shoot” capabilities. Check out the DSCW80 which offers a 7.2 megapixel imager, 3x optical zoom, and a rechargeable battery. It’s compact size can easily fit in a pocket and Sony’s “ease of use” is among the best in the industry.

Whichever way you go, I highly recommend getting some additional memory. The largest capacity you can afford is a good idea.

Anyone else have a good recommendation?

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• I have the Sony DSC-H1 for my trips and things and for general day to day use I have an older cyber-shot (many, many years old) and its been the best purchase.  No errors but i did scratch up the LCD viewer.  I have always been a fan of Sony cameras and will be looking into a new Cyber-shot within 6 months.    My first priority were quick clear photos without having to fuss much with options.
  • what is ur budget and what u will use it to? they are what u should consider when buying a digital camera.

in my opinion, brand doesn't matter, as long as it is good and meet ur need.

maybe u can refer to these <MOD EDIT: removed link please review Crutchfiled Community Linking Policy>, they are really helpful.

<We have a useful article titled "Digital Cameras: How toChoose" on the CrutchfieldAdvisor website> 

[edited by: Ryan at 12:06 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Oct 18 2007] added link to CrutchfieldAdvisor article [edited by: Ryan at 12:04 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Oct 18 2007] removed link to wholesale competitor
  • Ryan:

Whichever way you go, I highly recommend getting some additional memory. The largest capacity you can afford is a good idea.

Anyone else have a good recommendation?

Hard to say on a camera - but get an extra battery, too, no matter what camera you buy.

• Ryan i am looking for a good point and shoot camera or one that is just increadably dummy proof..for around 100 dollars or so...decent resilotion...this is for my wife because she hates carring around my huge sony digital camera.  any ideas?  i tried looking myself but i was overwhelmed by the selction and honestly i gave up...cameras are just not my thing...

thanks in advance!

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • My wife and daughter both have different model Kodak point-n-shoots that they really like, and my daughter's was about that price range or less.  Hard to go wrong with Nikon or Canon on here and Fuji is pretty good as well.

If it's not a surprise, your best bet is probably to take her to Target or Wal-Mart or a real camera store that has them powered up and let her play around with them and she which ones she likes best (and hope it's not the $600 one). 

Hope This Helps!!!! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• thats what i will end up doing...i was going to try to supprise her with one but i would rather her pick it out...so then if she dont like it...it isnt my fault.
    Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • Other option is to either give her a camera from a place that will let her take it back and get the one she wants, or give her a package with a picture of any camera inside and then tell her she needs to pick one out with you.  Makes it more of an occasion than driving her to Target and saying "Pick one of these out and I'll buy it for you."

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• good idea! that just might keep me off the couch this year...boy that thing is getting uncomfortable!
  • You could also include a gift certificate with the picture to keep it in the appropriate price range -- you may end paying the difference for a more expensive camera, but, if the one she likes is less expensive, then she gets two presents with the left over cash. Bonus! :)

Don
    Community Manager

• Had the CyberShot for years now... 5.1 mp. The CyberShots are great little cameras that you can put in your pocket for those unexpected shots.

KM

www.myhometheatersecrets.com

• I too agree that the Sony products are a good purchase for the most part. The only caveat to this of course is the door on the battery compartment on my 6 Meg DSC-500. It has broken THREE times since the day of purchase in 2006. I actually had to stock up on these from Sony in the Philippines, and had to learn how to replace them. A local shop wanted $40 to replace a $5 part. Finally this camera died on me after a Florida trip recently ! Other than the door issue I got hundreds of great pictures from this camera.

Fortunately, most of these point-and-shoots have gone to a rechargeable battery so there is no compartment to open (and break).

2008 Ford Ranger / Panasonic MXE CQ-C1200U CD Receiver /  MTX Thunder 4200X 4-Channel Amp /  Pioneer TS-A6882R 6"x8" Speakers

• FWIW - My coworker who sits right next to me has been evaluating this Panasonic and has simply raved about it and the quality of the video and photos.

[edited by: Shawn at 1:43 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, May 14 2010]

Shawn

• Got a battery questions.  I ordered a Sony NP-FV50 for my Sony HX1.  It says it's a replacement for the FH50 but has 15% more power.  Does anyone know if it will work okay? (read - Will it blow up my camera?)

Thanks...