I need Tips on Taking Pictures at Concerts?

This question is answered

I have the Canon 590IS 4x Zoom

can anyone give me some pointers on taking good Concert Photos and which settings I should be using.

Thanks,

BobbyBig Smile

SONY STR-DE595, SONY SS-MF550H TOWER SPEAKERS, SS-CN350 CENTER CHANNEL, SS-MB150H BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS FOR SURROUND, VELODYNE VX-10 SUBWOOFER, SONY DVP-NS700H/B DVD PLAYER, SAMSUNG LN37A450 LCD TV & Sony Universal Remote Commander RM-VL600

Verified Answer
  • Bobby,

First of all, forget about flash, it only helps for about 12 feet with this particular camera. You know those videos of a stadium at night with flashbulbs popping everywhere? They're all wasting their batteries. Here are some things you can try, either together or separately:

1. Try the Shutter Priority mode, and set the shutter speed to 1/60 or 1/100. If your shots come out blurry, try a faster speed.

2. Try setting the camera to ISO 400 (you'll get the best results with this camera at ISO 400 and below) and see what happens. If all your shots are blurry, bump it up to ISO 800.

3. This camera is unique among compacts because of its spot meter - try turning that on. It will set the exposure for what's in the spot, so a well-lit singer or guitarist will be in proper exposure.

And always press the shutter halfway to focus first, then shoot.

I hope these ideas help a bit, just realize that you're not going to make Jim Marshall proud using this camera. But you should get something interesting. I rather like the one you took of Rob Halford on the motorcycle - how his raised fist is where the laser lights come together, and there's a silhouette of a fan pointing right to his head. Cool stuff.

All Replies
  • Bobby,

First of all, forget about flash, it only helps for about 12 feet with this particular camera. You know those videos of a stadium at night with flashbulbs popping everywhere? They're all wasting their batteries. Here are some things you can try, either together or separately:

1. Try the Shutter Priority mode, and set the shutter speed to 1/60 or 1/100. If your shots come out blurry, try a faster speed.

2. Try setting the camera to ISO 400 (you'll get the best results with this camera at ISO 400 and below) and see what happens. If all your shots are blurry, bump it up to ISO 800.

3. This camera is unique among compacts because of its spot meter - try turning that on. It will set the exposure for what's in the spot, so a well-lit singer or guitarist will be in proper exposure.

And always press the shutter halfway to focus first, then shoot.

I hope these ideas help a bit, just realize that you're not going to make Jim Marshall proud using this camera. But you should get something interesting. I rather like the one you took of Rob Halford on the motorcycle - how his raised fist is where the laser lights come together, and there's a silhouette of a fan pointing right to his head. Cool stuff.

• Cool Thanks for the advice Zak I appreciate it...man priest was killer this year, if you get a chance go see them they are doing the entire British Steel album!

SONY STR-DE595, SONY SS-MF550H TOWER SPEAKERS, SS-CN350 CENTER CHANNEL, SS-MB150H BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS FOR SURROUND, VELODYNE VX-10 SUBWOOFER, SONY DVP-NS700H/B DVD PLAYER, SAMSUNG LN37A450 LCD TV & Sony Universal Remote Commander RM-VL600