Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Can digital cameras do this yet???

Cameras & Camcorders

Cameras & Camcorders
Share photo and video tips, discuss the latest gear and accessories

Can digital cameras do this yet???

This question is answered

My business is crating items for shipment in homes and businesses. Throughout a typical day I could have 6 stops with 3-5 items to be crated at each stop. To document the existing damage before crating I take multiple pics of each item. At the end of the day I can have as many as 100 pics to sort through and try to attach to orders.

So the question is:

Does anyone make a digital camera yet that allows you to label/stamp each pic or series of pics while you take them. Like a date stamp option they all have but you get to choose what the label is.

Verified Answer
  • Scot,

GPS might be your answer. With a GPS-enabled camera, images are stamped with a location, or "geotagged." Geotagged images will show you the location on a map where they were taken, so as long as your stops are at least 50 feet apart it should work. Right now, few cameras are GPS-enabled, but this is a growing trend. One camera that will do this now is the Nikon P6000. Look for many more cameras to do this soon, and I'm sure in a few years they'll all be able to do it. 

Two upcoming Garmin handheld GPS models will feature a built-in camera. If the camera's any good, it could be a winner.

If you're handy, here's a link to a site which shows you how to make one for a DSLR. Personally, I was lost at 4.7Kohm resistor, but your mileage may vary.

- Zak

All Replies
  • Hello Scot,

I'm afraid I have not yet come across a camera that has a feature that would do what you are after. The only thing I can think to do is to take a log separately as you take the shots, marking down which photo numbers (range) covers each crated scenario. For example, if you pick up item B for first stop of the day, and take 7 shots, log it as A=1-7. At the next stop, you crate item B and take 4 shots, log it as B=8-11, and so on.

Not as good as some sort of instant digital marker would be, but will make things much easier at the end of the day.

www.crutchfield.com/Malcolm
  • Why not take along a laptop or netbook and transfer the files from each job to individual folders as you go, clear the camera, and start fresh at the next job?

RESIma

• Scot,

GPS might be your answer. With a GPS-enabled camera, images are stamped with a location, or "geotagged." Geotagged images will show you the location on a map where they were taken, so as long as your stops are at least 50 feet apart it should work. Right now, few cameras are GPS-enabled, but this is a growing trend. One camera that will do this now is the Nikon P6000. Look for many more cameras to do this soon, and I'm sure in a few years they'll all be able to do it. 

Two upcoming Garmin handheld GPS models will feature a built-in camera. If the camera's any good, it could be a winner.

If you're handy, here's a link to a site which shows you how to make one for a DSLR. Personally, I was lost at 4.7Kohm resistor, but your mileage may vary.

- Zak

• Thanks everyone.