Finepix F300EXR

Cameras & Camcorders

Cameras & Camcorders
Share photo and video tips, discuss the latest gear and accessories

Finepix F300EXR

• I purchased the all new Fujifilm Finepix F300EXR this past week.  All the reviews said that it was the latest and greatest new point and shoot, but having played with it the last 4 days, I am completely unimpressed.  The image quality is poor in my opinion.  I have only owned Sony's in the past, but when my flash went out after only 18 months and not having the extended warranty to fix it, I opted to get a new camera with all the best bells and whistles.  Is Fuji typically a good brand to get for a point and shoot?  Do you have any other suggestions as to what would be a good camera to get?  I know that I am looking for dslr quality without the size of one, which may not be possibe.  Thanks!

[edited by: J P at 10:48 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Oct 5 2010] Changed to discussion.
  • Not really my area, but I know the Panasonic's have gotten great reviews, and Canon and Nikon have been industry leaders going back to film SLR cameras.  I'd probably look into those.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hi, Nuckolls,

That's a super loaded question. First of all, what about the image quality do you find disappointing? Are there certain situations in which you find the camera falling short?

Second, what sort of pictures do you hope to take? The phrase "DSLR quality" can mean different things to different people - DSLRs excel in some areas, while point-and-shoots excel in others. For instance, if your photo subjects move a lot, you probably want a DSLR. But if all you're looking for is the ability to blur backgrounds, you have more options.

I haven't used too many Fuji P&S cameras, so I cannot speak to the general quality of the brand - though Fuji is a long-respected name in the photography business, for what it's worth. Personally, I prefer Canon P&S cameras, they seem to have the "special sauce" inside to render nice jpeg photos. But then again, a Steinway doesn't make me a better piano player...

If you can let me know what you're looking for in your photos, I can probably help steer you in the right direction, as I have tested as many cameras as I can over the past few years. Thanks!