Best camera for low light

• Here is what features I need in order of priory

1.Quality

2.Low light 

3.10X zoom

4.shutter speed

5. MP 10MP

6 Size anything below the large dSLR

I will be taking photos of family and kids, church & school plays in dim lighting and at a distance of 30 feet + Thanks

[edited by: Ryan at 4:19 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, Feb 11 2011]
  • I like the Nikon Coolpix L110. It offers 12.1 Megapixels, 15x optical zoom, and several continuous shooting modes. While the camera has a built-in flash, it also offers several “Shooting Modes” for low light situations without using the flash. The “Museum”, “Dusk/Dawn”, and “Party/Indoor” modes allow for natural exposures without using the built-in flash.

The Camera also offers “Exposure Compensation” which allows you to make your pictures brighter or darker.

I hope that helps.

Anyone else have a good recommendation?

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan

• With a non-DSLR camera, you're going to have a tough time pulling off decent photos in the conditions you mention, frankly. Even with a DSLR it can be tricky. I doubt you'll get what you want using any of the 10x + zoom cameras out there. Most cameras have various scene modes designed to take pictures in dim light, but the physics cannot be denied: you need as much light as possible hitting the sensor to ensure decent pictures.

The two things that determine a camera's low-light prowess are (1) sensor size, and (2) max aperture on the lens (that's the f # you see printed on the front). As these high-zoom cameras zoom in tight, that aperture closes up, letting in significantly less light. The result is a blurry or grainy picture.

The sensors are also tiny, so the more megapixels that are packed on there the worse the pictures will be in low light (in most cases).

To get decent low-light shots, you need:

1. A camera with a large sensor, like a DSLR or one of the Interchangeable Lens Hybrid Cameras.

2. A "fast" lens, i.e. one with a large max aperture (small f number, meaning f/2 or less, like this one).

If you'd rather carry a small camera (I totally sympathize!), then you need:

1. Lower megapixel count, 10 or 12.

2. "Fast" lens to let in more light. One caveat: the lens will only let in a lot of light at the wide (non-zoom) setting. So you'll need to get as close as you can, and probably crop your kiddos out of the middle of the picture. I can recommend these compacts:

Canon Powershot SD4000IS

Canon Powershot S95

Samsung TL500

None of those compacts meet your zoom requirement, however. Dim lighting is tough for small cameras to handle, unfortunately.

• My friend has purchased the Canon SX130IS and I was just playing with his camera found the images just a bit too soft for me. Since image quality is the thing I was looking for I went with Canon. Along with best image quality some of the best point are ability to shoot HD video and also has excellent macro mode.

It takes some adjusting and "breaking in" before fully great-quality pictures come, but with this one, literally from the first shot it has been wonderful.The HD video also records wonderfuly, and the sound is great as well- even with using all of the 48x digital zoom! It has 12 MP and 12x optical zoom is great.

I like some feateres like

*12 megapixel image capture

* Very good image quality

* Full 720P HD video capture

* Excellent low light performance for its class

* Excellent image stabilization capability

* Full manual control, including Av, Tv and full manual modes

*Great zoom range, especially at the wide end

*Reasonable battery performance with rechargables 

• This Nikon L110 is a great camera. I have had it for a few weeks now so I have a good understanding of its functions. I use this camera for several different things. I am a deputy sheriff and use this camera for basic crime scene pictures. I am also the web page administrator for the local FOP (Faternal Order of Police), and use this camera for all pictures for the site. It has worked very well for both functions.