Digital Camera to PC

Cameras & Camcorders

Cameras & Camcorders
Share photo and video tips, discuss the latest gear and accessories

Digital Camera to PC

• I'd like to be able to connect a digital camera (my nikon d40 doesn't allow this) to my computer while I'm shooting product shots, so I can take multiple shots of one product, then save then to a dedicated folder on my computer (therefore ensuring I maintain their correct identity).

Do I have to my a particular camera to allow for this functionality, or is there a software solution to would enable this level of efficiency?

Thanks, Rob

• I called Nikon and it looks like you can actually do this with the D40 that you have.

The first thing you need is a program from Nikon called Camera Control Pro. Here are the PC requirements.

Here is where you can download the program from their site. (This is the trial version download)

I'm not sure how long the trial version is good for, (probably 30 days like most other trial version programs) but if you like how it works, then you can purchase the program here.

To get this to work, you will need to change the USB mode in the camera's menu to PTP (page 84 of the manual).

Also, he told me that it will not let you see the picture on the computer monitor, you have to set up the picture using the viewfinder, and once it has written the file to the PC, you can open the file to see the resulting photo.

I hope this helps.

Shawn