Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Nikon D3100 Camera

Cameras & Camcorders

Cameras & Camcorders
Share photo and video tips, discuss the latest gear and accessories

Nikon D3100 Camera

This question is answered

Hi guys! I've bought a NIKON D3100 camera few days ago and I need some technical support. The camera is OK taking wonderful pictures, but I couldn't transfer the pictures to any computer yet.

I've followed well all the instructions: * I've installed the ViewNX2 software.

* I've formatted the Card: 128 Gb Monster Card

* I am using a USB cable "rocketfish" to connect the camera to the PC.

* I turn the PC on first and only I turn the camera on, when it is already connected to the PC.

In despite of all this, the PC (any of my three PC) seems not to recognize the camera. Even if I open the Nikon Transfer 2 and press "initiate transfer", nothing happens and no pictures are shown.

As long the pictures were in NEF (RAW) format, I erased them and took others pictures just in Fine quality but the problem remains the same: no pictures are shown. What can I do?

One possibility is try to use a Nikon USB cable UC-E4 (which wasn't provided with the camera)

Another possibility can be related to the Pictbridge device (?)

The Troubleshooting part of the Manual said that maybe the "SO" (?) is not compatible with the camera or with the software of Transfer. They suggested to use the Card's reader (p. 115)  What does it means the "SO"?  I would appreciate an advice or suggestion. Molea243

Verified Answer
  • Hi there,

Its actually "OS" which is short for operating system. Out of the three computers you have tried, have they all been Windows? This software is supported on Windows 7, Vista, and XP,  as well as Mac OS X (specifically 10.4.11, 10.5.8, and 10.6.4).

When you turn the camera on (after connecting) does the computer give any indication that it has found new hardware? Typically you will get some sort of system beep or noise, and your cursor will briefly change to an hourglass.

If you're using a Windows based system, you can check "My Computer" to see if the camera is being recognized. If it is, it should show as a removable drive. If none of this is happening, I would suggest trying a different USB cable.

All Replies
  • Hi there,

Its actually "OS" which is short for operating system. Out of the three computers you have tried, have they all been Windows? This software is supported on Windows 7, Vista, and XP,  as well as Mac OS X (specifically 10.4.11, 10.5.8, and 10.6.4).

When you turn the camera on (after connecting) does the computer give any indication that it has found new hardware? Typically you will get some sort of system beep or noise, and your cursor will briefly change to an hourglass.

If you're using a Windows based system, you can check "My Computer" to see if the camera is being recognized. If it is, it should show as a removable drive. If none of this is happening, I would suggest trying a different USB cable.

• Hi there,

My three computers have Windows as OS: two with PRO and the other with Vista.

It's amazing but when I turned the camera on, there is no sign at all of being recognized by the computer.

Even going to My computer, looking for the camera as an external drive, there is no icon of its presence...

Well, I am trying to remain cool and not to panic at all. I've already bought online a Nikon D3100 USB cable (high speed), also a HDMI cable and a Memory card reader just in case:-)

It seems they will arrive here this Saturday or at least next Monday. I'll let you know about this.

Another possibility is to try with other friends' computers with different OS.

• Hi guys,

I've finally got a Nikon D3100 USB cable and I could transfer the pictures to the computer without any  problem. So the problem was fixed:-)  Thanks for your help, guys!

• Glad to hear things are up and running! Enjoy the camera!