Older camcorder

Cameras & Camcorders

Cameras & Camcorders
Share photo and video tips, discuss the latest gear and accessories

Older camcorder

This question is answered

I have a 6 y/o Sharp camcorder that uses small tape cassettes. The cable connection is a red and green designed to go to a tv only.

Is there some way I can get it to my computer or possibly to a transfer device?

Verified Answer
  • That helps.

The camcorder has composite video and mono audio output.

(You might want to use Y-adapters on the audio so you at least get mono sound from both channels).

You should be able to connect the camcorder outputs to the composite and audio inputs on the VCR - you could then use the LINE IN selection on the VCR and play the camcorder and record to VHS tape, but that doesn't get the video onto your computer.

For the MacBook, I just googled "Composite Video to MacBook and came up with this.  (Oops - goes the wrong way - that allows you to output the Macbook video to a TV with Composite input.)

The Macbook might not be the best solution.  I know there are a few TV capture cards for PC's that will accept composite input and you could use a mini-jack adapter to feed audio to the microphone input.

You then would need some kind of video capture software - FRAPS could work, but the file size would be huge for any decent resolution.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Can you post the model number of the camcorder and also what you are ultimately trying to accomplish.

You are throwing me on the red and green cable connections.

Most older camcorders would have composite video output - which was a yellow RCA (and red and white audio RCAs).  Some would have component video (which would be red, blue, and green RCA's along with red and white audio RCA's).

In any event - the easiest thing to do is if you have a TV with the correct inputs (or an A/V receiver with them), you would connect the camcorder to the TV and then you could record from the TV to a VCR or DVD recorder, or DVR, etc.

Alternately - if your computer has a very good graphics card, it might be able to accept the camcorder as an input and then you could use video capture software to save the output to the hard drive.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• ---

• That helps.

The camcorder has composite video and mono audio output.

(You might want to use Y-adapters on the audio so you at least get mono sound from both channels).

You should be able to connect the camcorder outputs to the composite and audio inputs on the VCR - you could then use the LINE IN selection on the VCR and play the camcorder and record to VHS tape, but that doesn't get the video onto your computer.

For the MacBook, I just googled "Composite Video to MacBook and came up with this.  (Oops - goes the wrong way - that allows you to output the Macbook video to a TV with Composite input.)

The Macbook might not be the best solution.  I know there are a few TV capture cards for PC's that will accept composite input and you could use a mini-jack adapter to feed audio to the microphone input.

You then would need some kind of video capture software - FRAPS could work, but the file size would be huge for any decent resolution.

Hope This Helps!!!