Camorder video output question

Cameras & Camcorders

Cameras & Camcorders
Share photo and video tips, discuss the latest gear and accessories

Camorder video output question

•  I currently have a Sony Digital8 camcorder (from 2003). It has worked great for years, but am now looking to get a new camcorder. I'm sort of partial to Sony's but would consider others (Panasonic, JVC or Canon). Will get one that is flash memory based as well.

Our current Sony (TRV350) can easily be hooked up to a regular TV. I also hooked it up to my Panasonic DVD recorder and easily dumped stuff to DVD this way. I would like a new camcorder that can be hooked up to a TV (SD or HD) AND hooked up to my DVD burner. Can all of the camcorders these days still easily be hooked up to a DVD burner and not have to worry about any kind of copy protection. Or are there other factors to consider?

[edited by: Ryan at 6:11 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Mar 24 2012]

JVC KD-AR880 w/ JVC-SIR1 SIRIUS radio tuner, KS-BTA200 bluetooth adapter, CH-X1500 12-disc changer, full PAC steering wheel controls, Polk db6500 (front component) & db650 (rear) speakers. A Profile AP1040 Amp to make it all Rock

• Most new camcorders will have standard A/V output cables included, which can be hooked to a DVD recorder. The big thing to keep in mind is that most new camcorders will record in both high definition and standard definition. Standard definition video can be recorded onto standard DVDs no problem, but HD video requires more disc space. Generally you would need to have a DVD burner specifically geared to record HD video onto a standard DVD, and then use a Blu-ray player to playback the DVD.

If you want to record onto DVD with your current burner you'll need to record in standard definition, and not high definition.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

• There is no copy protection on videos you record yourself using a camcorder. The only limitation to the video quality is the camcorder itself. If you create a file using your camcorder you can transfer it to DVD, hard drive, or whatever. Blue-ray isn't a factor (HD and Blu-ray are not the same thing) unless you use a Blu-ray disc recorder (in which case the transfer issue is moot) or Blu-ray editing software on a PC. 

Your best bet is to transfer the videos to PC so you can edit and enhance them, then burn them to DVD (or just use the PC as a source). The amount and type of compression you use is up to you.

There is no way to determine the limitations of your current DVD recorder unless we know the model you are using. But a file is just a file.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. But, the standard for a verified answer should be very high, and the standard for a self-verified answer even higher. Unless the answer is a very obvious one I typically wait quite a while for the OP to verify before I do so. I also only verify a second answer if it adds significantly to the understanding of the issue at hand.

[edited by: Alex W at 8:40 AM (GMT -5) on Sun, Mar 25 2012] I was a bit harsh at first. Sorry.

RESIma

• Alex W
    Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. But, the standard for a verified answer should be very high, and the standard for a self-verified answer even higher.

This was the edited - less harsh - answer??? ... Devil

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• What!? I was just making the point that...well you know the point.

I even sang a nice little song of encouragement. How can anyone possibly infer anything ominous or foreboding here?

I don't know. I just don't know. I'm just doomed to be forever misunderstood, I guess.

RESIma

• LOL - Never, ever fail to click the link in an Alex W reply.  (What are you doing, Dave? ...)

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks for the song.Big Smile I'm not sure what answer was verified, because I'm not seeing the green box. I do know that this post was moved to discussion, so it may be a different post you were referring to.

Now back to the topic at hand. Thanks for addressing the copy right question I overlooked, but the information was correct. Using a computer to burn the disc does change things, but going straight to the DVD recorder is tricky with high definition. You have to have a recorder that is AVCHD compatible, and they are not as common as they should be. On top of that you then have to have a AVCHD capable player (which is usually a Blu-ray) to playback the recorded disc. We will need to wait for the model number to verify, but from my experience most recorders won't have that capability.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

• I agree with you regarding transfers directly from camera to a DVD recorder. That's why I think a PC is a much better way to go. That. and the ability to maintain quality while managing file size, editing, enhancing, adding a song or two, maybe. Avidimux is a great application for home use, and it's free (as in speech and as in beer). I realize that not everyone wants to go the PC route. To each their own.

RESIma