Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Using factory and aftermarket amp

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Using factory and aftermarket amp

This question is answered

I have a 1998 toyota camry LE and I don't know much about amps.  I just ordered some Alpine SPS-609 6x9's for the rear and the front speakers are just the factory speakers. I will have no trouble installing these speakers.  In the future, I want to get two 8in subs.  I'm most likely going to get two rockford fosgate P1S48's. I was wondering how I should go about powering the 4 speakers and the 2 subs. Do I use a separate amp for the subs and use the factory amp for the speakers? I want to spend the minimum amount of money, while still having good sound quality. I listen to metal, so I'm getting the 8" subs for the double bass.

Verified Answer
  • I would power the fronts off your factory amp, and get a 4ch for the rears and future subs, since those subs will not require any huge amount of power. A decent 4ch amp rated ~125W RMS/ch would do very well.

On a side note however, I would have upgraded the front speakers first, especially with the knowledge that you will be getting subs in the future. The only reason that I would ever recommend upgrading the rears first is if you are looking for sheer volume (and don't really care about sound quality or imaging) or more bass (and your rear speakers are much bigger than your fronts, and you can't/don't plan on adding subs.)

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

All Replies
  • Are you putting the subs in 1 box or 2 seperate boxes, and in the trunk or just in the back ?

You might be better off upgrading your front speakers and amping and just disconnecting the rears.

Cool

GLH Geeked

• The subs are going to go in the trunk and most likely in one box, unless two separate boxes makes more sense.  I'm not looking for ridiculous bass for rap or anything, just something for the double bass hits you would find in metal.  I would generally just be using the subs for classic rock and metal. I don't even know if I need to get subs, but I would imagine that taking some of the bass load off the rear speakers would help them last longer. How could I make a system and still use both the front and rear speakers?  Could I just get a mono amp and use it exclusively for 2 subs?

• Yes, I would upgrade and amp the front speakers and leave the rears unconnected and maybe take them out and just install the grills over the rear deck holes. Rear deck speakers will be affected by the subs, like they are passive radiators, and make them sound like crap. Also, you wont know the rear speakers are there with all the sound from the subs back there. Your front speakers will create a nice sound stage. Yes, either put the subs in seperate boxes and use them with a 2 channel amp, or put them in the same box and use a mono amp. You will high pass the front speakers around 150 hz and low pass the subs the same.

Cool

GLH Geeked

• I would power the fronts off your factory amp, and get a 4ch for the rears and future subs, since those subs will not require any huge amount of power. A decent 4ch amp rated ~125W RMS/ch would do very well.

On a side note however, I would have upgraded the front speakers first, especially with the knowledge that you will be getting subs in the future. The only reason that I would ever recommend upgrading the rears first is if you are looking for sheer volume (and don't really care about sound quality or imaging) or more bass (and your rear speakers are much bigger than your fronts, and you can't/don't plan on adding subs.)

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

• thanks for the help