Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Just bought an Alpine 4 Channel Amp

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Just bought an Alpine 4 Channel Amp

This question is answered

Two coaxial's in the back. Two components in the front. Which wires do I need to get this system up and running? Where can I get them and which products would you guys recommend? Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Okay, basically - there are three ways you might go about this:

• You can buy a single 8-gauge kit for the Alpine amp now, and worry about the subwoofer amp later.  You can run separate power wires for the sub and main amp - it works fine but it looks a bit sloppy.
    • You can buy a dual-amp kit with 4-gauge wire - but often the D-blocks aren't fused in these kits, and you end up swapping them out.
    • Your best option is probably to get a single amp 4-gauge kit for now, and pick up a fused D-block, and add on later.  There isn't a great way to say this, but Crutchfield carries the Streetwires Fused D-blocks and they are expensive for what they are.  You might want to shop for those components.

Tip - Run another remote wire and another RCA for the subwoofer amp when you are installing the main amp and cap off or bag the connectors so that you don't have to pull the HU and the floor panels again when you get ready to add the subwoofer amp (assuming they will be installed near the 4-channel).  (You can daisy-chain the remote wire from the 4-channel to the sub if you don't want to run a toggle switch to the dash to turn off the subwoofer amp at some time.)

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Hi Duality,

We cannot fully answer your question(s) as you did not provide any specific information about your setup.  You will need an amplifier installation kit and possibly some other components, but we need more info before we can suggest which kit, and which other components you may need.

What head unit are you using? (If aftermarket, what brand and model#?)

What amplifier are you using? (model #)

What speakers are you using (brand and model #'s)

As for where you can get your wires, that part is easy: right here on Crutchfield Wink

[edited by: CoolCat at 11:43 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Mar 21 2012]
  • My apologies. This is my current setup.

Head Unit: Alpine IDA-X305S
    Amp: Alpine MRP-F300
    Coaxial Speakers: Infinity Reference 6032si
    Component Speakers: Polk Audio DB6501

• You are going to want a good quality 8-gauge wiring kit (4-gauge kit with a distribution block if you might add a subwoofer amp later), and one additional RCA cable for the 4-channel amp, and standard 18-gauge speaker wire for the output side should be fine.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I do plan on eventually getting a subwoofer amp.

So in that case, I should buy a 4-guage kit (with a distribution block) an additional RCA cable for my amp and standard 18-gauge speaker wires.

Correct?

• Okay, basically - there are three ways you might go about this:

• You can buy a single 8-gauge kit for the Alpine amp now, and worry about the subwoofer amp later.  You can run separate power wires for the sub and main amp - it works fine but it looks a bit sloppy.
    • You can buy a dual-amp kit with 4-gauge wire - but often the D-blocks aren't fused in these kits, and you end up swapping them out.
    • Your best option is probably to get a single amp 4-gauge kit for now, and pick up a fused D-block, and add on later.  There isn't a great way to say this, but Crutchfield carries the Streetwires Fused D-blocks and they are expensive for what they are.  You might want to shop for those components.

Tip - Run another remote wire and another RCA for the subwoofer amp when you are installing the main amp and cap off or bag the connectors so that you don't have to pull the HU and the floor panels again when you get ready to add the subwoofer amp (assuming they will be installed near the 4-channel).  (You can daisy-chain the remote wire from the 4-channel to the sub if you don't want to run a toggle switch to the dash to turn off the subwoofer amp at some time.)

Hope This Helps!!!

• Third option sounds best. Thank you, TigerHeli.

Also, does it matter which brand of installation kit I purchase?

Say if I bought a Rockford 4-gauge kit, would it work with my Alpine?

• yes

GLH Geeked

• It matters, but not in the way you mean ...

Rockford, Stinger, Streetwires, EFX, Kicker, etc. all make good quality kits.

There are some budget kits (Absolute, InstallBay, dB Link) that use smaller wire with thicker insulation that you should avoid.

Basically, a good 4-gauge kit should come with a 125-150A fuse in the kit.  If it has smaller than a 100A or a fuse holder but no fuse in the kit, I would be skeptical of it.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Another question.

I have the amp up and running. Front speakers are sharing one channel and so are the rears. It'll remain this way until I can get another set of RCA cables and I can have all the speakers on their own individual channels.

My question is, how should I tune the amp to get the best quality out of my door speakrs?
    (No sub installed yet)

• Please explain further.

You have a 4 channel amp. You have 4 speakers. Why is each speaker not on it's own output from the amp ?

GLH Geeked

• Duality
    until I can get another set of RCA cables and I can have all the speakers on their own individual channels.

I still am confused. Go the wally or some other store and buy an RCA patch cable, if that's all you need.

GLH Geeked

• Duality
    Alpine IDA-X305S

Bass and Treble Controls: The head unit features independent Bass and Treble controls that allow you to adjust each setting +/-14 dB in 2 dB steps. The center frequencies are adjustable (60, 80, 100, and 200 Hz for bass and 10, 12.5, 15, and 17.5 kHz for treble) and the bass bandwidth is adjustable (from narrow to wide in four steps).

Loudness: Loudness introduces a special low and high frequency emphasis at low listening levels to compensate for the ear's decreased sensitivity to bass and treble sound at low volume.

HPF: The high pass filter (HPF) removes the lower bass from the front and rear speaker and line level outputs. HPF options are 80 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz, and off.

Subwoofer Pre-out: In addition to the front and rear 2-volt preamp outputs, there is a dedicated 2-volt subwoofer preamp output with variable level adjustment of 0 to 15. You can select either System1 or System2 for the desired subwoofer effect.

• Subwoofer System 1: Subwoofer level changes according to the main volume setting.
    • Subwoofer System 2: Subwoofer level change is different from the main volume setting; even at low volume settings, the subwoofer is still audible.

Power IC Off: When an external amplifier is powering all the speakers in the system, you can turn the internal amp off, which will improve the sound quality.

For now, turn loudness off, HPF on 80 hz, turn internal amp off. When you get a sub and sub amp, you will like want the HPF set on 120 hz. You are just gonna want to play with bass and treble controls. Mine would probably be set on 100 for bass center frequency (without a sub), 15 khz for treble center frequency, +6db for bass, +12db for treble, bass bandwidth wide without subs, narrow with a sub.  Set your 4 channel amp on full range output, front and rear, bass boost off, set the gain correctly. Do you know the methods of setting the gain correctly ?

GLH Geeked

• Excellent post GLH.

No, I don't know how to set the gain correctly. I saw it behind my amp but haven't messed around with it yet..

However, I did manage to turn off the internal amp. I also turned the loudness off. Where do I go to adjust the HPF?

• http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/500/500IDA305S.PDF (Page 55, 22 Printed)

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Thanks!

• Well that answers my HPF question.

As for the digital voltmeter, I do not have one.