Amp and speaker questions

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Amp and speaker questions

This question is not answered

Hi everyone I'm going to buy a new audio set up and I want to see what your opinion on what best way to do this..

#1- trunk: 3 of the following subwoofer: 10" Massive Audio SUMMO Series SUMMO 104

General Features: 

• 10 Inch Dual 4 ohm Summo Series Subwoofer
  • Power Handling:
  • Peak: 3000 watts
  • RMS: 1500 watts
  • Kevlar fiber enhanced non-pressed paper cone
  • EROM foam surround with red stitching
  • 3 Inch 4-layer hi-temp voice coil
  • Fiberglass woven dust cap
  • 10 Gauge power cable with direct lead connection
  • Double stacked 240oz high energy magnets
  • Top-mount depth: 7.40 Inch
  • Sensitivity: 90.72dB

******What kind of AMP should I get (mono/D/ab/what channel) how many and what wattage.

INSIDE: #2 four 6x9 speakers: Planet Audio BB69

• 6" x 9" Big Bang Series 4-way Car Speakers
  • Power Handling:
  • Peak: 1600 watts per pair / 800 watts each
  • RMS: 800 watts per pair / 400 watts each
  • Recommended Power Range: 200 - 400 watts RMS per channel
  • Poly Injection Woofer Cone
  • Rubber Surround
  • 0.5" Tweeter
  • Top-mount Depth: 3.375"
  • 4 ohms impedance
  • Frequency Response: 50-20,000 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 87dB

*** I want these because they have the highest RMS wattage and great price***

#3 2 tweeters: PRV AUDIO TW350TI PRO AUDIO SUPER TWEETER

• Type: Super Tweeter
  • Nominal Impedance: 8Ω
  • Rated Power Handling: 60 Watts
  • Program Power: 120 Watts
  • Sensitivity (1W/1m): 105 dB
  • Frequency Range at -10 dB: 3,500 - 20,000 Hz
  • Recommended Hi Pass X-Over: 5000 Hz (12 dB/Octave)
  • Voice Coil Diameter: 1"
  • Magnet Material: Ferrite
  • Diaphragm Type: Titanium
  • Weight: 1.37 Lbs
  • Replacement Diaphragm: RPTW350Ti

*******************I need to now what the best way to wire up my in door speakers, how many amps, what connect to what, and amp recommendations for these 6 speakers.  I hope I can get the help I'm looking for, I have a good idea on audio installs, I will cover the power situations, I just need suggestions on wiring amp types wattage too!!! Thanks a million in advance...

Edited huge wall of text to be more legible.
All Replies
  • Holy wall of text.  Think I'm going to try and clean it up a little so it's more legible.

• sorry ! That's exactly how I had it formatted however it mushed everything together not sure if it was because I'm doing it from my iPhone

• Alright, now that it's a bit more legible, lets see what we can do here.

Alright, so before I go poking holes in your plans, let me ask what the vehicle is you'll be installing this setup into and what the end goal is with the setup?

What HU are you going to be using?

You going to be running any external processor?

Three subs tend to look cool in a trunk, but it often results in an odd final impedance that can make finding an ideal amplifier a bit more difficult. Case in point, (3) DVC 4 ohms can be wired for a .66,  2.66, or 6 ohm load. Not going to find many amps out there capable of 4500RMS without spending a fortune, which leads me to inquire as to the budget for said amplifier.  Wiring for .66 would get you more power for your buck, though amps stable below 1 ohm aren't terribly abundant either. If you are firm on the setup, you'll be seeking a mono/subwoofer amplifier capable of 4500RMS at whatever final load you wire for, be it 2.66 or .66 ohm. Class D would be the only way to go IMHO, as an amp capable of producing the power you seek will demand a lot of amperage, so no need to go with a class of circuitry that needs more amperage to produce the power you seek.

Not trying to talk you out of the setup, but why not go with a pair of 12's or 15's if you have the room? Granted (3) 10's do have a little more cone area than a pair of 12's.  

Speakers you are looking at are cheap for a reason, their specs are over rated. I can't imagine they'd last long if given a true 400RMS. Look at the PA's amplifiers "rated" to produce 400RMS, if you do the math, they don't often have the capabilities to produce more than half that at best. And the power handling is but only one spec, sensitivity is important and makes a huge difference. Those are rated with an 87dB sensitivity, that's fairly low. Many speakers have upwards of 93dB these days, which based on such, they'd need 1/3 of the power to be as loud.

Why are you looking to buy super tweeters? Those 6x9's are already 4-way coaxial speakers, they each have (2) tweeters. No need for more, unless you like sharp and shrill ear fatiguing highs.

• Hey! Thanks for all the thorough investigation... I already have the super tweeters brand new.. if those 6x9 are not what they say then I will look elsewhere on 6x9s... I have a 2007 dodge charger.. I want the 3 10s because I wanted a sharp hard bass... Maybe just two 10"s or two 15"S it's more for show.. as far as what my goal is .. is very loud clear highs and sharp bass .

• Difficult to toss out the idea of using equipment you already have, but if the end goal is achievable without them, I'd not bother.

You running the factory HU in that Charger?

To get a hard hitting bass, cone area is often key, the more cone area, the more air you move, the harder hitting the bass. I'm currently just running a single 10" 400RMS power base sub in a factory spec sealed enclosure with a little polyfil. I plays tight and clean, but that's largely due to the tune of the Imprint processor I'm using. I sounds good with most music I've tried. However, it's not terribly loud. For me, it's enough, but it'll never be a head turner. And there are many I've met that it's output just isn't enough, which is fine, everyone's different. It does lack in the lower bass a bit and in such, I've really given it some thought about switching to a pair of 15's running IB. Very efficient, flatter response, able to play deeper, but reduced power handling and output by design, thus larger drivers are preferred in order to compensate.

Ported can get you more ouput, but if not done correctly, sloppy output can be the result. Still, if one listens to a lot of Rap/Hip hop, then ported tends to be the way to go.

Very loud clear highs, such as loud vocals or loud instruments? Those tweeters you have are to be crossed at 5kHz, well above vocal ranges.

To get clear sound, a sound processor will be a god send, unless you go old school and spend vast amounts of time getting the placement and aiming of each driver correct, which will result in some custom work. If done by another party, it won't be cheap, not by any means. A sound processor can do wonders with less than ideal placement and aimed drivers with the ability of time alignment and individual channel EQ's.

• id get bigger guage wire