2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT amplified Monsoon system wire harness?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT amplified Monsoon system wire harness?

This question is not answered

So here's the rub, I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT with the Monsoon amplified system in it but I'm looking to replace the stock head unit with a Kenwood DPX502BT, I'm looking for a wire harness that will let me keep the factory amp because it has good sound quality, I could care less about door chimes so thoses arent needed unless I need them, I recently bought a Metra 70-2003 wire harness but I'm being told it won't work with the amplified Monsoon systems, anyone know a wire harness I could use?

All Replies
  • No idea if you still have factory speakers or not, but if, and only if, they are aftermarket, I'd recommend bypassing the Monsoon amplifier. Reason for that, the Monsoon amp was designed to work well (enough) with the factory speakers and has fixed settings. The internal amplifier of that Kenwood is better suited for aftermarket speakers than the Monsoon amp.

Anyways, your car hasn't a switched power wire, it has a data wire. This is one of the reasons you need the proper wiring harness. It will get you a switched power wire that also retains power after the ignition is switched off, until the door is opened or (I think) five minutes pass (whichever happens first), just like the OEM radio did.

The harnesses for your car weren't cheap, and the ones Crutchfield has for your car still aren't cheap.

This is the lower cost unit they have that works with your car.

www.crutchfield.com/.../Metra-GMOS-04-Wiring-Interface.html