Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Boss Amp and Kicker Subs

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Boss Amp and Kicker Subs

• I plan on getting a Boss CE3800D 3800W Monoblock Class D Power Amplifier rated at RMS Power @ 2 Ohms: 1700 Watts x 1 or RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 1300 Watts x 1 more details here and 3 Kicker 11S10L34 10" Dual 4 ohm Car Subwoofers rated at 400 RMS and plan to use ​this wiring diagram, can you tell me if this is good and what the outcome will be and if not can you explain a way for me to do this without hurting my subs or amp.

[edited by: Ryan at 5:00 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Mar 15 2012]
  • Links don't work, but that amp isn't going to produce 1700RMS @ 2 ohms, more like 1300 or so. It may be a Class D amp, but with 120AMPS worth of on board fuses it's just not going to produce it's rated power. I can't see the wiring diagram either, but I figure you must be wanting to wire them for a 2.66 ohm load like so.

Now wiring your subs for a 2.66 ohm load the amp may reduce it's power output to say 1100-1200RMS, which would actually be retty good for those subs, if in fact I'm correct on assuming the amps true output.

I do feel fairly confident that the amp will be capable of pumping out 1000RMS to those subs wired for a 2.66 load. Use a DMM to set the gain for 1000RMS following this method. You'd set the amp to output 51.57VAC.

• I'm assuming you plan to use this wiring diagram (Your link was broken, not sure why). If you use that setup it would be fine. Your amps RMS are slightly higher than you want but I know Kicker subs can handle a little more than rated and most Boss amps are slightly over rated anyways so you should be fine (I don't want to sound like I'm bashing your choice cause I have seen plenty systems using Boss amps that sound amazing). Just make sure you set the gain properly on the amp so avoid any problem and possibly hurting the speakers.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• Weigel21
    Now wiring your subs for a 2.66 ohm load the amp may reduce it's power output to say 1100-1200RMS, which would actually be retty good for those subs, if in fact I'm correct on assuming the amps true output.

Retty? What exactly does that mean? I must have missed it in the dictionary LOL Stick out tongue. I agree and said the same basic thing. So unless someone else has a better idea/suggestion I think your all set.

GMC Sonoma, JVC KD-A95BT, 2 Pioneer TS-D601P in doors, 2 Pioneer TS-G4644R in dash, 2 JL W3v2-D2 10 inch subs, Lightning Audio B4.250.2, Soundstream TX1.1300D

• retty;

- The combination of really and pretty

- The absance of a p when typing pretty

- An indication of poor typing skills, grammar, and/or spelling

Stick out tongue

• Weigel21

retty;

- The combination of really and pretty

- The absance of a p when typing pretty

- An indication of poor typing skills, grammar, and/or spelling

Stick out tongue

Ahh okay I will have to contact Webster's Dictionary and inform them that they are missing this very important and versatile word. I do not know how people could speak before such a discovery Big Smile.

• Thanks, I've been meaning to introduce them to some of today's new words, but I just never seem to find the time to contact them. Webster would do good to surf online forums, they're a treasure trove of new words. Wink

• Yea I fixed my links and thanks for all the help I didn't know for sure but I thought this was the correct way so I am glad I found it out and was gonna do it the right way again thanks for verifying this for me.

• No problem, just be sure to properly set the gain on the Boss amp.

• thinkin about addin another sub to make it 4 subs if i am thinkin about this the right way it would be load @2 ohms and would be 1700 rms for the amp and 1600 rms for the 4 subs so i wouldnt need to upgrade the amp and it would power the subs fine

• Once again, the amp isn't capable of pumping out it's claimed power. The specs listed by Boss are inflated. This is one of many problems I have with cheaper gear. If a person knows what they are getting themselves into and work around the true limitations of the equipment, then cheap budget gear, like your Boss amp, can be a decent buy. However, many people assume the posted specs of this equipment hold true, such as in your case, and this is were many problems begin. Pretty much the only way for your amp to pump out it's claimed power is if it were nearly 100% efficient (which isn't even close to likely) or your input voltage was much higher than 14.4 volts (assuming the amp could handle a 17 volt input, as it'd have to be somewhere around that or higher).

No, as I said, your amp isn't going to pump out more than around 1300RMS@2 ohms at best. This is enough power to push 4 of the subs you are wanting to run, but it's not going to power them with what they can handle. Will it be louder than your current setup of 3, it should be, unless you end up getting them badly out of phase with one another. You'll be feeding the 4 subs around 80% of their power handling. It is said that going from 70% to 100% power doesn't gain but 3dB of output. So really, you shouldn't notice much difference between powering them with the 1300RMS or so the amp is likely to produce or 1700RMS from an amp that was identical in every other aspect.

Go ahead if you like and wire up another sub, but be sure to set the gain with a DMM so as not to send them a clipped signal. Set the output to no more than 1300RMS, unless you are able to use an O-Scope to set the gain. That'd be 50.99VAC at the speaker terminals for 1300rMS out of the amp.

• ok what if I split it into 2 amps from boss what rms in watts would u recommend I get? also I can spen more thinkin about goin to L7's at 600 rms what would u recommend for that with 2 amps from boss in rms

• Just out of curiosity, but why are you so determined to stick with Boss? Personally, if you're needing a reputable budget amp, go with a Hifonics Brutus amp.

If you wish to stick with Boss, It's hard to say what power output from the amp to look for as they over rate them.

If you plan to switch to 4 L7's that's 2400RMS. A Hifonics BRZ2400.1 would be an exact power match if you got (4) 3 ohm DVC or (4) 4 ohm SVC subs to allow you to wire them to present a 1 ohm load. The same Hifonics amp will power 4 subs of the model you currently have with 1700RMS@2 ohms. Now this amp has 250AMPS worth of on board fuses, so you'll be force to upgrade your car's electrical system if you plan to have it pumping out it's rated power at 2 Ohms or 1 Ohm.

A Boss NXD5500 looks like it might be capable of pumping out around 2400RMS@2 ohms, but reviews seem to indicate the amp isn't built to last. Then again, we don't know, based off these reviews, why it is the amp quit working, was it user error or manufacturer defect?

Honestly, I don't like the idea of using multiple amps to power multiple subs.

• Weigel21
    Honestly, I don't like the idea of using multiple amps to power multiple subs.

Neither does J Ro - has to do with efficiency losses and timing issues.

You are better off selling the Boss amp and buying a larger one than adding a second amp (unless the amp is strappable - some Boss amps are (I think) - but then you might not be able to run them at the required impedance).

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• For not a lot more money than the Hifonics you can go with the Alpine MRP-M2000 which does 2000W x 1 @ 2 Ohms and does true rated power if not more and pair them with 4 4ohm DVC Kicker L7's.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRP2000/Alpine-MRP-M2000.html

• Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • Kicker ZX700.5 5ch amp 4x90w + 1x570w
    • 12" JBL P1220 Factory Ported Enclosure
    • 2-12" Polk Audio DXI-124 Custom Ported (soon)
    • Polk Audio dB651 6.5" & dB 691 6"x9"