Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Power wire and distribution question

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Power wire and distribution question

This question is answered

Thanks to all in advance for any help I receive. I presently have a Boss 400W RMS subwoofer under the seat of my Subaru Forester. A Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD head unit is feeding it. From the battery I have:
8 gauge wire -- 50A fuse -- 8 gauge wire to the subwoofer.

I want to add an Alpine PDX-F4, fed by the preamp out of the head unit. The Alpine is a 100Wx4, but for now I will only be using 2 channels for the front speakers. The fronts are the Polk 6.5 component speakers with crossovers.

Now for the power question. From what I have read and hopefully understood, my wiring scheme should be the following:
Battery -- 4 gauge -- 100A fuse -- 4 Gauge through firewall -- Distribution block -- 6 to 8 gauge to Amp and subwoofer.

Am I on the right track here? I'd like to be able to order everything I need at one time. Thanks again!

Verified Answer
  • Looks right to me.

The PDX-F4 has 60A of internal fusing.

I'm assuming it is a Boss Powered Subwoofer - not sure what internal fuse it has - you implied maybe 50A.  That would be about right for 400W RMS, but my experience with Boss has been that they typically use less than recommended fuses and make less than advertised power.

electroman
    Now for the power question. From what I have read and hopefully understood, my wiring scheme should be the following:
    Battery -- 4 gauge -- 100A fuse -- 4 Gauge through firewall -- Distribution block -- 6 to 8 gauge to Amp and subwoofer.

It would be two 8-gauge wires total, one to the amp and one to the subwoofer.  Also, you either need a fused D-block with 50A and 60A fuses in each or you need individual 50A and 60A fuses after the D-block.  8-guage is about the minimum for 60A, but it will work, but you want a QUALITY 8-gauge kit.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Looks right to me.

The PDX-F4 has 60A of internal fusing.

I'm assuming it is a Boss Powered Subwoofer - not sure what internal fuse it has - you implied maybe 50A.  That would be about right for 400W RMS, but my experience with Boss has been that they typically use less than recommended fuses and make less than advertised power.

electroman

It would be two 8-gauge wires total, one to the amp and one to the subwoofer.  Also, you either need a fused D-block with 50A and 60A fuses in each or you need individual 50A and 60A fuses after the D-block.  8-guage is about the minimum for 60A, but it will work, but you want a QUALITY 8-gauge kit.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hey thanks for responding. The Rockford Fosgate RFK4D looked like the wiring kit to get, but I also need to get 2 more inline fuses for the amp feeds right?

• Yes - two more inline fuses and fuse holders, or you could swap the D-blocks in the kit for fused D-blocks (the Streetwires ones on Crutchfield are expensive for what they are, but you can find others for less), or you could leave your Boss amp wiring intact and just run a new 8-gauge single amp set for the new Alpine amp.  The last option doesn't look as clean and can be harder to route the wiring, but it works just as well.

Hope This Helps!!!

• TigerHeli
    the Streetwires ones on Crutchfield are expensive for what they are, but you can find others for less),

I agree they are pricey for what they are, but very convenient and tidy.    But if you like to save money like me, you could make one out of a block of wood, a fuse, 2-bolts, 2-washers, 6-nuts.  (like 5 bucks at lowes). 

• Now you're talking -- I didn't know if that kind of talk would be considered blasphemy. Yes After seeing the prices of the DPs I was going to check out Parts Express to see what I could cobble together.

I hear you about the Boss -- the Forester is real cramped for space and it was the only thing I saw at the time that was amped and fit under the seat. It's OK, mediocre is probably more accurate, but in the future I may try putting a driver in the back end by the fender well.

My expertise runs more to cameras and home audio so I appreciate the tips. Thanks!

• Keep in mind if you don't cover or cap off the bolts, washers, and nuts, you have a potential short circuit there anytime those come in contact with a ground point, which in a car is virtually any metal.

Friend Request and comment sent to Electroman.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Natch. I'll check out some of the other stuff too. Thanks.