Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Speaker wiring correct?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Speaker wiring correct?

• Hi crutchfield community,

About two weeks ago i took my cavalier to a system installation place where they install 4 speakers, 2 subs, a stereo, a 4 channel amp and a mono amp. When i left there i was really happy with my system until i found out that they hadn't install the front speakers so i went back and they install them or at least that's what i think since they gave me back the factory speakers, so a few days past and i was trying to hear a song that has some instruments in the left side and others in the right side but to my surprise i only heard the right side instruments. I try to play with the stereo settings to adjust the left and right side but to my surprise the left side is actually the subs and when i tried to test the front and back speakers i found out that the the 4 speakers were the front setting and the back setting was for the subs. What can i do to fix this is it a wiring problem i can fix by myself or do i have to take it back so they can fix it?

[edited by: Ryan at 5:33 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 17 2012]
  • Go back to the installation place and make them fix it correctly. If possible, take someone with you who knows more about car audio systems. Sounds like the head (stereo) they installed only has front and rear/sub selectable RCA preouts and they Y'd off the front pair to your 4 channel amp, effectively deleting your fader.

GLH Geeked

• I second what GLH said.  Definitely think they Y'd off from the front pair to the hook up the sub.  

• What are the make and model of the HU and the 4-channel amp?

With that we can give you options on how it COULD be wired up and you can take it back to them or fix it yourself, but I'm not sure I'd take much more work back to them.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• the hu is a pioneer 50w x 4 mosfet DEH-6300UB and the 4 channel amp is a power acoustik 1600w class AB Bridgeable amp the model number is BAMF 1600/4 I hope this helps.

• Head Unit

Amp

I meant to ask if the sub amplifier has a remote level control or not?

Anyway, the head unit has front and rear/subwoofer RCA's.

The 4-channel amp has RCA pass-thrus, but does NOT have speaker-level inputs (but does allow one set of RCA's to power both channels).

Questions for you:

Do you want/need to use the fader (to change the volume from front to rear)?

And - do you want to be able to change the sub level from the head unit controls?

There are basically three ways to hook up your equipment depending on what you want to do:

• If you want to do both, you will basically need to get a 2-channel LOC.  Run the HU front RCA's to the front inputs on the BAMF.  Run the HU rear speaker outputs through the LOC to the rear inputs on the BAMF.  Run the HU subwoofer outputs to the subwoofer amp.
    • If you want the fader to work, but don't care about controlling the sub from the HU:  Run the HU Front RCA's to the front inputs on the BAMF.  Run the HU REAR RCA's to the rear inputs on the BAMF.  Run the BAMF outputs to the subwoofer amp.  This can work well if your subwoofer amp has a remote level control - or if you add a universal one.
    • If you want the subwoofer to be controlled from the head unit, but don't care about fader control.  Set the HU fader fully forward and run the front HU RCA's to the BAMF front inputs.  Set the BAMF input mode selector switch to 2-channel.  Run the HU subwoofer RCA's to the subwoofer amp.  (Note that you can still use the gain controls on the BAMF to set the relative front/rear volume - you just can't easily CHANGE that).

I threw a lot of stuff out there pretty quickly, but hopefully the shop will be able to understand this and get you sorted out.

Post back if you have more questions.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• from what i understand the subs are connected to the planet audio mono amp and they install a controller underneath the steering wheel where i can control the bass and to answer you the question i don't care about the front and rear slider i just care about the left and right side of my speakers since i just can her the right side on the speakers and the left side on the subs.

• Okay - The shop CLEARLY wired your speakers up incorrectly (and apparently didn't even install one set the first time).

The good news is you have pretty flexible components to work with.  The main amp has RCA pre-outs and the subwoofer amp has a remote level control.  You don't care about the fader, so really ANY of the solutions above would work fine for you and give you left and right balance control.

Personally, if I had a subwoofer level control, I probably wouldn't adjust the sub from the head unit, so I'd probably go with option 2, but it's really up to how you want to use the system.

The main thing you have to decide now is:

• Once you pick a way that you want it hooked up, do you go back to the initial shop and make them fix it correctly (third times a charm, right?)
    • Or do you try to get a refund from the first shop and take the stereo to someone reputable to fix (and expect to pay more b/c nobody likes fixing someone else's mistakes)
    • Or do you try to get a refund from the first shop and then let us walk you through it and fix it yourself.  That isn't THAT hard to do, but you will likely need to pull the head unit out of the dash to see what RCA's are connected to which outputs.  If you want to do that, let us know how you want it connected and we can walk you through it (pictures would help, though - but not required).

Hope This Helps!!!

• i was thinking of going with option 1 and do i really need to take the hu out because as you may know removing the stereo in a cavalier is a pain in the A** and by the way witch pictures do you need for you to help me so i can fix it myself?

• Personally, I'm a little bit uncomfortable with advising you to take the stereo back to a shop the didn't install speakers initially when they were paid to do so - especially when I expect you to tell them "You connected this incorrectly and this is how I want it wired up" but ...

**** - I thought you meant Option 1 - take it back to the shop - re-read the post and I'm pretty sure you meant Option 1 - Install a LOC, which is really the proper way to have installed your stereo to begin with.

What year is the cavalier?

Removing the FACTORY stereo is a PITA.  Removing the aftermarket stereo is pretty simple, assuming they left you the Pioneer removal keys.  However, if you are going to wire in a LOC, you will have to run RCA's from the HU to the amp, so you would likely end up taking a lot of the dash apart to do that anyway.

Mainly, I'd be looking for pictures of the wiring - mostly to make it easier to guess which wire goes to which speaker.

Also - we'll need to know where the main and subwoofer amps are mounted (trunk or under seat or ...)

Thanks!

Hope This Helps!!!

• First off they guy that install the stereo didn't give me anything and the subs are mounted of the trunk and what i meant was that i want to fix it myself because the first time they didn't install the front speakers and the second time they wire every wrong what can i expect the third time and i really don't want to find out. I will be uploading the pictures Friday if that is ok with you and by the way thank you for helping me fix my system.

• What year is the cavalier?

You said the subs are mounted off the trunk - both amps are there as well?

What's the model number of the subwoofer amp?

Gto1990
    First off they guy that install the stereo didn't give me anything

LovelyAngry - you will need the stereo removal keys - they are $1.11 (each?) plus shipping from pac-parts, but ...

A decent radio repair shop should have left the keys in the glove box or similar.  If you can't find them there, I would go back to the first shop and see if he still has them or will give you another set.  (If he asks, tell him need to replace the heater switch or something rather than that you want to remove the radio to fix where he screwed up the install).  Worst case, another shop will probably remove the radio one time for you for free, or you can do it without the keys, but it's a lot easier with them.

Understood on not wanting to go back to the first shop.

Friday's fine, but I'm usually not on the forum over the weekend.  Other members can definitely help you out or I can take a look at it Monday and go from there.

Hope This Helps!!!

• I have a 2001 cavalier 4 door car by the way the amps and the subs along with the capacitor are in the trunk and my mono amp is a planet audio ac1500.1M. About the keys the guy didn't give me anything buy it would be really helpful it you can post a picture on how the keys look like to see if by any change i have them.

• Who are all these messed up installers we've been hearing about from so many new posters lately ?

Super Angry

GLH Geeked

• Lost a reply, but it might allow me to be more organized:

This violates forum policy, but I can't find a better way to show you the keys.  I'll probably take the image down after you tell me you've seen it:

EDIT: Forum violating image removed.

You're looking for the metal strips at the top.

Page 15 of this document has info on removing the OEM radio - more info here:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_to_remove_a_stock_radio_in_a_2001_Chevy_cavalier

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=50624&TPN=1&PN=1

http://www.j-body.org/faq//84/

http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/howto/

http://www.teamforwardmotion.com/tfmtech/j-body/audio/dash_removal.htm

Now - if you don't mind - let me make a suggestion before you get too deep into this:

Option 1 above installs a LOC and runs another RCA to the trunk mounted amps - This is the ideal way to run your radio as you still have fader control and you still can control the subwoofer level and LPF settings from the HU.  However, it requires that you buy a LOC and another long RCA patch cable, and more importantly, it requires you to disassemble the dash, follow the existing RCA runs (which probably means removing the kick panels and rocker sill covers and running the RCA to the trunk.  We can go through that, but if you are new to working on cars, you might not want something that involved right now.  (You could always go back and do it later if you really wanted to.)

Option 2 is easier and you won't lose much.  I would recommend this.  You would be able to use the fader without affecting the sub.  You might (probably) need to pick up one very short RCA cable.  The only thing you lose is the ability to adjust the subwoofer level, subwoofer LPF setting, and turn the subwoofer on and off from the head unit, but you have a remote volume knob for level, and I could figure out how to wire a toggle switch for you to turn the sub on and off.  You would need to pull the head unit out of the dash to figure out which RCA cable is connected to which HU RCA jack, but you can do that with the removal keys and you don't need to disassemble the dash.  All the speaker wiring from the amp will be in the trunk also, so that makes any of the options easier.

Option 3 is also easy, but you lose the fader (would bug me), but you retain the ability to use the HU to adjust the subwoofer settings.  You shouldn't need to buy anything for this, and as above, you need to briefly pull the radio, but not disassemble the dashboard.

At this point, I need to know if you can find the removal keys, and if you can post some pictures of the wiring for the amps in the trunk and think about and let us know which option you want to go with.

Also - before we get started, Pioneer radios are REALLY FUSSY about hot-swapping RCA connections - we'll probably be changing those, so at least make sure the radio is turned off while you are working on it.

Hope This Helps!!!

[edited by: TigerHeli at 10:42 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, Mar 9 2012]