Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Speakers before Stereo? 1992 Lumina

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Speakers before Stereo? 1992 Lumina

This question is answered

I was just thinking about this, should I buy new speakers for my car first, or buy the stereo first? I'll be ordering them two weeks apart (because of paycheck). Any input would be appreciated.

I have a 1992 Chevy Lumina Euro 2-dr Coupe without Bose, all stock.

Front dash speakers: 4x6"

Rear deck speakers: 6x9"

Also, I've been trying to determine if I should buy the same size speakers for my car. If I go same size, front are just drop in and go, rear ones I'll have to drill mounting holes. If I go 6 1/2" in back and 4" up front, I'll have to buying mounting brackets. Still, I'll have to drill holes for the back speakers. Pictures of the factory speakers are in my signature. Use the facebook link.

I'm looking into Boston Acoustic speakers, but Polk and Pioneer are options. I want 2-way in the front and 3-way in the back if possible.

1992 Chevy Lumina Euro 2-dr Coupe, Kenwood KDC-X596, Polk Audio db461p (dash), db651 (rear deck), db1222 subs (not installed)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150681137401334.389826.524471333&type=3&l=35ed826c1a
Verified Answer
  • bandball50
    I was just thinking about this, should I buy new speakers for my car first, or buy the stereo first? I'll be ordering them two weeks apart (because of paycheck). Any input would be appreciated.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/car-stereo-proving-ground.html?g=266150&tp=9

If you are buying them two weeks apart, I'm not sure it really matters.

Crutchfield says above and my experience has been that you see more improvement in sound quality from replacing the head unit.

That said, in your particular case (previous thread), I would buy the speakers first for two reasons:

• Since you aren't used to working on cars, the speakers are likely to be a more difficult install for you - buying them first gives you two weeks to get them ready before the new head unit arrives.
    • Really, the head unit is more critical than the speakers.  (I've swapped head units b/c one didn't do quite what I wanted - I'm unlikely to do that with speakers).  Buying the speakers first gives you time to look locally and test out various head units and be sure of what you want to buy.

bandball50
    Also, I've been trying to determine if I should buy the same size speakers for my car.

Crutchfield will supply the mounting brackets, but really, it's the same amount of work either way.  In that case, I recommend going with the largest speakers practical, which in your case is 4x6 and 6x9's.

bandball50
    I want 2-way in the front and 3-way in the back if possible.

Really makes next to no difference, but you should be able to find those ...

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Get your head (stereo) first. It will have the largest impact on SQ, and the best place to start. You will be surprised how it will brighten up the stock speakers.

Are you ever planning to amp or thought about amping the system ? This will help us help you choose your speakers. If not, you need to get the most sensitive speakers that will fit, to make good use of the low power of the new head. It will be alot more powerful than the stock head, however.

I would use kickpanel enclosures and install components in front, if I were planning to keep the car. Nice car. The little 4" or 4x6 speakers just don't add much at all to sound quality.

GLH Geeked

• bandball50

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/car-stereo-proving-ground.html?g=266150&tp=9

If you are buying them two weeks apart, I'm not sure it really matters.

Crutchfield says above and my experience has been that you see more improvement in sound quality from replacing the head unit.

That said, in your particular case (previous thread), I would buy the speakers first for two reasons:

• Since you aren't used to working on cars, the speakers are likely to be a more difficult install for you - buying them first gives you two weeks to get them ready before the new head unit arrives.
    • Really, the head unit is more critical than the speakers.  (I've swapped head units b/c one didn't do quite what I wanted - I'm unlikely to do that with speakers).  Buying the speakers first gives you time to look locally and test out various head units and be sure of what you want to buy.

bandball50
    Also, I've been trying to determine if I should buy the same size speakers for my car.

Crutchfield will supply the mounting brackets, but really, it's the same amount of work either way.  In that case, I recommend going with the largest speakers practical, which in your case is 4x6 and 6x9's.

bandball50
    I want 2-way in the front and 3-way in the back if possible.

Really makes next to no difference, but you should be able to find those ...

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|105KDHDR61&compareItems=01|113KDCX395&compareItems=01|158GT660UP&compareItems=01|500CDE123&g=300

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|500SPS406&compareItems=01|065SA746&compareItems=01|107DB401&compareItems=01|107DXI400&compareItems=01|107DXI460&g=400

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|107DB461P&compareItems=01|107DXI460P&compareItems=01|107MM461P&compareItems=01|1086432CF&compareItems=01|108R6402CX&compareItems=01|1086432CFP&compareItems=01|1084629CFP&g=400

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127BB600A2/Bass-Blockers-600-Hz-cut-off.html

I would use any of the above in the dash for either amped or head only power. I would use the bass blockers with whichever I chose, with head only power. If you go amped, not all of those speakers would be a great choice, but they would need to be highpass filtered with either the head or amp crossover.

When you decide amped system or nonamped system, we can suggest 6x9's for the rear.

Do you also plan to install a sub system ?

GLH Geeked

• GLH

I would use kickpanel enclosures and install components in front, if I were planning to keep the car. Nice car. The little 4" or 4x6 speakers just don't add much at all to sound quality.

There aren't any kickpanel enclosures for my car, otherwise I would. And I'm not fabricating my own.

1992 Chevy Lumina Euro 2-dr Coupe, Kenwood KDC-X596, Polk Audio db461p (dash), db651 (rear deck), db1222 subs (not installed)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150681137401334.389826.524471333&type=3&l=35ed826c1a
  • The head I'm buying is Kenwood's KCD-596. I'm going to eventually get subs and amp everything. For right now, I want just want the head and speakers. Is there a way that if I buy a 5-channel amp, I can "turn down" the RMS output for the front and rear speakers while utilizing the same sub power. Ex: 70 RMS x 4 + 400W x 1. Can I lower the 70 RMS to 35 RMS for the front speakers and 50 RMS for the rear while keeping the 400W for the sub? The head only outputs 22 RMS and I want to amp that up to the max RMS that the speakers. I'm just using these numbers as examples. If not, I might buying separate amps (amp for speakers, amp for subs).

• bandball50
    Ex: 70 RMS x 4 + 400W x 1. Can I lower the 70 RMS to 35 RMS for the front speakers and 50 RMS for the rear while keeping the 400W for the sub?

You asked that in the other thread as well.  You have separate gain controls for front, rear, and sub channels - however, you typically have the same output voltage on all three HU RCA's.  Whether you could get 1/2 wattage on the front speakers and full wattage on the sub, I'm not sure, but you could probably do so with the HU fader - although more sound from the rear speakers is not the best soundstage.

FWIW.

• TigerHeli
    You have separate gain controls for front, rear, and sub channels - however, you typically have the same output voltage on all three HU RCA's.  Whether you could get 1/2 wattage on the front speakers and full wattage on the sub, I'm not sure, but you could probably do so with the HU fader - although more sound from the rear speakers is not the best soundstage.

fair statement.

• This is a suitable case for 6x9 boxes up front and/or a small powered sub under the front seat, for soundstage purposes. A 2 channel amp for the fronts and a 4 channel amp for the rears/sub might also work, but man those little speakers can sound tinny, regardless of quality.

GLH Geeked

• The BA plate mounts handle 80W RMS.

I think you could make a good argument for the BA Plate mounts with a 4x75W main amp, with the BA's HPF'd a bit above the 6x9s, and roughly equal power to all main speakers.

Hope This Helps!!!

• I've been there. In order to get the small woofers to handle the 75 watts, even the midbass has to be filtered out. What you have leftover is all upper-mids to highs in the front soundstage and alot of difficulty trying to move the lower frequencies forward. Horrible from a sound quality perspective.

GLH Geeked